Responding to dislike tags
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2008

Currently, the only way we can respond to dislike tags on our own entry is by disagreeing with them. However, they may well be valid! However carefully we've checked and re-checked our entry before submitting it, other pairs of eyes can pick up something we'd completely overlooked. It might be worth having a "translator's response" field rather than a simple "disagree" to cover situations of this kind.

Or am I being ingenuous in assuming that other contestants would also be prepared
... See more
Currently, the only way we can respond to dislike tags on our own entry is by disagreeing with them. However, they may well be valid! However carefully we've checked and re-checked our entry before submitting it, other pairs of eyes can pick up something we'd completely overlooked. It might be worth having a "translator's response" field rather than a simple "disagree" to cover situations of this kind.

Or am I being ingenuous in assuming that other contestants would also be prepared to "own up" to their mistakes?

[Edited at 2008-12-04 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Agree! Dec 4, 2008

I second you, Marie-Hélène.

Why can we only disagree with the dislikes in our entries? What if someone else catches something we did not notice?

I think we should have the right to agree with the dislikes as a way of showing we recognize our mistakes.

Regards,
Fernanda.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 07:46
Obvious mistakes Dec 4, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Or am I being ingenuous in assuming that other contestants would also be prepared to "own up" to their mistakes?

Some mistakes are so obvious that even the contestants have to admit them.

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Dec 4, 2008

I completely agree! I think contestants should be able to agree on a dislike if they realize they made a mistake, why not?

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Same here! Dec 4, 2008

I've just noticed that, too, and would have clicked "agree" to a dislike if I could.
Samantha

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
How to make the point Dec 4, 2008

Then just click on it and type "I can't diagree to this" or "I agree", and you would have made your point. This was what I did once. Relax, and don't get too worked up.

Samantha Payn wrote:

I've just noticed that, too, and would have clicked "agree" to a dislike if I could.
Samantha

Christian Schneider
Christian Schneider  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:46
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Me too Dec 4, 2008

Elizabeth Ardans wrote:
I completely agree! I think contestants should be able to agree on a dislike if they realize they made a mistake, why not?

Yes, I would have liked to write 'sorry' a few times

Dasa Suciu
Dasa Suciu  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
English to Romanian
+ ...
to be responsive from both sides Dec 4, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Super idea! Especially when someone receives out of base dislikes and has to present arguments. And also to be fair and agree to dislikes received if they are right. But unfortunately, the only opportunity that exists (to respond to dislikes received) was cut off from the start for those already excluded much too sooner!

I always thought of the contests to be a good chance to learn from our mistakes. But at least to have this chance!!!

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:46
Spanish to English
I totally agree Dec 5, 2008

I hadn't noticed that this feature had changed but it is obviously a change for the worst.

I have often thanked someone for pointing out someone that had escaped me and even if I don't totally agree with a dislike tag, I may want to make a comment that I wouldn't qualify as a "disagree".

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Authors agreeing with dislike tags Dec 5, 2008

Hi All,

You have a good point here. We'll do it.

Romina

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Option enabled Dec 5, 2008

Hi All,

The option for authors to agree with a dislike tag has been enabled.

Please let me know if it works ok for you.

Thanks
Romima

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Doesn't work Dec 6, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Romima

It doesn't work for me.

Susan

Ioana Daia
Ioana Daia  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to Romanian
+ ...
Commentaries under agree/disagree Dec 6, 2008

There is something I do not understand... When you put an agree or disagree, you're allowed to make commentaries, put references etc. But when/to whom are they visible ?

One more thing... The option agree to dislikes on my own entry is not working yet. Thank you !

[Edited at 2008-12-06 09:12 GMT]

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
doesn't work Dec 6, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks
Romima

Hi Romina,

It doesn't work for me either

Elizabeth

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please try now Dec 6, 2008

Hi All,

I'm sorry for the inconveniences. Could you please try one more time?

Romina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Responding to dislike tags

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »