Likes/dislikes
Thread poster: Kathleen Shelly
Kathleen Shelly
Kathleen Shelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2008

I have asked this before, but I can't seem to find the answer. When I tag my likes and dislikes, my name appears, and I don't want it to. How can I turn this off?

Judit Darnyik
Judit Darnyik  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:26
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Others can't see them Dec 3, 2008

Dear Kathleen,

I think it's only you who can see your name at this stage of the contest, others can't (at least I can only see my name when tagging, all other tags are anonymous). Try logging out and then you won't see it any more, I suppose.

Judit

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Russian to English
+ ...
Check the Contests FAQ Dec 3, 2008

Kathleen Shelly wrote:

I have asked this before, but I can't seem to find the answer. When I tag my likes and dislikes, my name appears, and I don't want it to. How can I turn this off?

I dare say you can't turn it off. From the FAQ:

15. Can I make comments on entries?

Yes. You can highlight portions of the text and tag them to indicate that you "like" or "dislike" them and add a comment and reference link to support your position.
Other viewers, in turn, will be able to agree or disagree with you by adding reference links of their own. Your tags will be anonymously shown to others during qualification and final voting rounds. However, all taggers' identities will be publicly shown once the contest finishes.

[Edited at 2008-12-03 13:19 GMT]

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tagging likes/dislikes: your name will appear next to your own tags. Dec 3, 2008

Thanks Susan and Judit,

You are both right.

Kathleen, your name is shown next to your tags (visible only to you during this phase) for you to clearly identify them. After the contest finishes, taggers' identities will be visible (this was implemented in response to the feedback received from participants in previous contests.)

Thanks.
Romina

Monika Silea
Monika Silea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
Likes AND Dislikes Dec 4, 2008

I know that there are a lot of entries in some language pairs, but likes should be included in the vetting and rating process. It is psychologically good for the translators to have some positive feed back as well. Especially that it is all about subjective likes and dislikes (more or less).
Also, it is annoying to see duplicate dislikes (mainly, as likes are more often forgotten to be tagged) for the same item. It would
... See more
I know that there are a lot of entries in some language pairs, but likes should be included in the vetting and rating process. It is psychologically good for the translators to have some positive feed back as well. Especially that it is all about subjective likes and dislikes (more or less).
Also, it is annoying to see duplicate dislikes (mainly, as likes are more often forgotten to be tagged) for the same item. It would be a godd idea to remove back-end the duplicates.
Thanks
Collapse

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
posting likes not always possible Dec 4, 2008

Monika Silea wrote:

I know that there are a lot of entries in some language pairs, but likes should be included in the vetting and rating process. It is psychologically good for the translators to have some positive feed back as well.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should do our best to encourage the entrants by posting likes as well as dislikes. But, where there and lots of entries, this simply isn't all that practical. We only have time to highlight what stands out in an entry, and, quite honestly, with the exception of the occasional particularly tricky passage in a text, we would expect almost 100% accuracy in a competition such as this. Or are my expectations too high? So what tends to stand out isn't the accuracy (which is standard), but those little (or, occasionally major!) inaccuracies or syntax errors that detract from a translation, and which need to be pointed out. Several of the entries appear to be by non-native speakers, and it seems only fair to indicate where they're going wrong, as, otherwise, they would be none the wiser if their entry gets eliminated!

Having said that, there are very few texts that don't have some nice turn of phrase or expression that merits a compliment. But, I think that, generally, it's a matter of accepting that "if there's no comment, then it must be OK".

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Apparently unfair tagging Dec 4, 2008

In EN-RU one person went over many entries and added "dislike" tags with a concise comment "style".

This seems evidently unfair.

If a person selects one or even two or more sentences and writes "style" this means that he/she actually has nothing to say.

I believe this person shall be banned from commenting and voting and all his/her tags shall be deleted.

Monika Silea
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
I really like that! Dec 5, 2008

Carol Gullidge wrote:

Having said that, there are very few texts that don't have some nice turn of phrase or expression that merits a compliment. But, I think that, generally, it's a matter of accepting that "if there's no comment, then it must be OK".

Thanks for sharing your point of view. I agree to what you said. My intention was only to point out that very few 'likes' are tagged. In En>Ro there are not too many entries (12 now) and I tried to highlight some likes in each entry. As you said, there is something nice in all entries. What came as a surprise to me is that vetters of tags are more inclined to agree/disagree only to dislike tags, even though likes have already been tagged. And I only meant to 'ask' our fellows to not overlook the likes.

As to your observation that 'if there's no comment, then it must be OK' - very good perspective. I am more of a pessimistic person and I thought like: no comments - not noticeable entry! But I think I'll adopt your perspective.

Good luck!

Monika Silea
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
Professionalism Dec 5, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:

In EN-RU one person went over many entries and added "dislike" tags with a concise comment "style".

This seems evidently unfair.

If a person selects one or even two or more sentences and writes "style" this means that he/she actually has nothing to say.

I believe this person shall be banned from commenting and voting and all his/her tags shall be deleted.

I totally agree to your suggestion. My idea was that ProZ promotes professionalism and our community should not encourage mediocrity. I think it is a proof of high professionalism and basic common sense to comment as appropriate as possible, space permitting.
Also, I often heard that idea: don't vote, because it is a disadvantage to you. I always voted and LET'S PLAY FAIR.
Otherwise, all the fun is spoilt!

Lys Nguyen
Lys Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 06:26
Member (2005)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Dislikes tag Dec 27, 2008

I agree with your above opinions, I think a dislike tag can only be accepted if it is supported with a satisfactory comment. If a person posting any dislike without comment, just reject him. Fair play!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Likes/dislikes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »