Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

Hi All,

As previously announced here http://www.proz.com/topic/121861 voting for the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest is underway.

Those that have voted in the current contest already may have noticed that some improvements were made to the system for tagging "likes" and "dislikes".

I'd like to have some feedback from you to make further improvements if need
... See more
Hi All,

As previously announced here http://www.proz.com/topic/121861 voting for the 1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest is underway.

Those that have voted in the current contest already may have noticed that some improvements were made to the system for tagging "likes" and "dislikes".

I'd like to have some feedback from you to make further improvements if needed.

Are you finding this feature useful? Do you have additional suggestions?

Please post your suggestions below.

Note: Remember that adding tags will not change the outcome of voting; the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. Winners are determined based on votes not tags.

Thanks

Romina
Collapse

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:18
French to Russian
+ ...
Windows size Nov 28, 2008

I'd like them to be flexible based on the size of my browser window.
The texts are not long and they fit well a standard window.

I'd also like to enter more symbols in the comments field. Even when the 70 symbols will be available, it's still too little for some cases. Maybe 150?

The tag Spelling is one of the less used. Why is it chosen by default? I think, the tag Other (replacing "Sounds strange", "Doesn't flow well", "You can't say this" - just several exampl
... See more

I'd also like to enter more symbols in the comments field. Even when the 70 symbols will be available, it's still too little for some cases. Maybe 150?

The tag Spelling is one of the less used. Why is it chosen by default? I think, the tag Other (replacing "Sounds strange", "Doesn't flow well", "You can't say this" - just several examples of what people write) is used the most often.

Also the tag Style would be useful.

Thx

[Edited at 2008-11-28 22:38 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Feedback on tags, etc. Nov 29, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

I agree.

I
'd also like to enter more symbols in the comments field. Even when the 70 symbols will be available, it's still too little for some cases. Maybe 150?

I think it's best to keep them short, otherwise the whole process becomes too long.

Otherwise:
When viewing target text alongside source text, it would be nice to be able to skip quickly to the item # you want. As it is, you have to page through 33 items to get to item #34, which is tedious.

Somebody suggested to Henry on another thread that the entries be in random order, for fairness, and he replied that each user does see the list differently. That's fine, I think. I would not like it to be random for me each time I look at the list, since that would be more confusing.

I like the way if you hover your mouse over someone else's comment, it shows green in the source text what they have tagged. Much easier to see what is being discussed that way.

As for the names of the tags, "mistranslation" is a very broad and somewhat misleading tag. A lot of things that people write are not really wrong, but they are not idiomatic in the target language, or they are not expressed well. I have tried to indicate that in the space allowed. But I would think that "mistranslation" should be used for things that are flat-out wrong, and other words might be used for the gray areas. "Not idiomatic" or "poor usage" or "awkward phrasing" or "style." Or even the more blunt, but perhaps not very helpful, "would not be used this way by a native speaker."

Susan

Courtney Sliwinski
Courtney Sliwinski  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:18
German to English
+ ...
Tagging Nov 29, 2008

I like the idea of tagging likes and dislikes in this contest. However, I think that most people are forgetting to tag "likes" and simply looking for mistakes. I feel this is mean-spirited and those who choose to vote should also remember to compliment contestants. After all, these people worked hard on these translations, a few kind words could go a long way. I would ask that voters use constructive criticism when judging the entries.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Translator disagrees with "dislike" tag Nov 29, 2008

One more thing:

FAQ #28 says the translator can provide a comment and a link to justify a translation that someone has tagged "dislike."
But in fact, you aren't given extra room for a link. If you put a link, there's no room to explain what you're talking about. There should be two separate places, as in Kudoz, one for comment and one for link.

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
It is already done Nov 29, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:

Somebody suggested to Henry on another thread that the entries be in random order, for fairness, and he replied that each user does see the list differently. That's fine, I think. I would not like it to be random for me each time I look at the list, since that would be more confusing.

It is already done, Susan.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Likes -- allow more time Nov 29, 2008

Courtney Sliwinski wrote:

I think that most people are forgetting to tag "likes" and simply looking for mistakes. I feel this is mean-spirited and those who choose to vote should also remember to compliment contestants. After all, these people worked hard on these translations, a few kind words could go a long way. I would ask that voters use constructive criticism when judging the entries.
I

I agree. But people should bear in mind that for some of the language pairs with large numbers of entries, it takes time. I am still working my way through the pile. In the first pass, I tag what strikes me most strongly. I plan to go back over them, at the end, and make sure I put at least one "like" for each entry, if that is possible. Also, I am sure that I will revise my overall ratings, once I've read them all. (They begin to sound the same after awhile...!)

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 comments Nov 29, 2008

Hi!

I would like to make two comments about the contest:

1) When someone expresses its dislike over a person's error; then other people can say "I agree" / "I disagree" over such error. So, I would say, I someone finds this error, and then 2 or 3 people disagree with such statement, then shouldn't the negative comment be deleted? Obviously, more people don't think of it as an error, no? Well, the error just remains there. I don't know if at the end this is counted as an
... See more
Hi!

1) When someone expresses its dislike over a person's error; then other people can say "I agree" / "I disagree" over such error. So, I would say, I someone finds this error, and then 2 or 3 people disagree with such statement, then shouldn't the negative comment be deleted? Obviously, more people don't think of it as an error, no? Well, the error just remains there. I don't know if at the end this is counted as an error or if you take into account the disagreement of others and don't consider it as a mistake for the final qualification.

2) Although I know that members have more privileges than no-members, I think that ONLY no-members and moderators/staff should have the option to vote. That is, the people who don't participate in the contest. The reason is simple: Every member wants his/her translation to win, so in order to achieve this, they will find mistakes on all the other translations except in theirs, of course. When I've participated in plenty of contests in my life (school, university, others), I've never formed part of the jury. This is to keep the process as impartial as possible. People are finding mistakes everywhere and most of them don't even explain why they consider it as an error. It's so simple to destroy the work of others by just clicking on a term, pressing dislike and don't explaining why!
Collapse

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
tagging problem Nov 29, 2008

Impossible to tag if there is more than one space between words. It would be better to delete double (triple, etc) spaces automatically on posting.
In one of the pairs I found a text with a lot of stuff to tag, but the author put too many spaces, thus protecting himself (herself) from too many tags (maybe involuntary, but still....)

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How do you access Likes and Dislikes? Nov 29, 2008

Hello Romina,
I voted on the best choice of my language pairs entry. However, I cannot access the Likes and Dislikes for my comments. All I can access is a comment box, where I can put comments, but that is visible to me only.

I noticed that someone had put a Dislike that was not valid to one of the entries. I tried to disagree with that particular Dislike, but it does not show to the public...

Thanks for your attention.
Enjoy your weekend.
Mon
... See more
Hello Romina,
I voted on the best choice of my language pairs entry. However, I cannot access the Likes and Dislikes for my comments. All I can access is a comment box, where I can put comments, but that is visible to me only.

I noticed that someone had put a Dislike that was not valid to one of the entries. I tried to disagree with that particular Dislike, but it does not show to the public...

Enjoy your weekend.
Monika
Collapse

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
revision to tag comments Nov 30, 2008

There is one small thing that i can't revise my tagged comments. example:

if i had previously entered a comment "poor rendering of the source text", and now I want to change the comment to "sounds chinglish", I had to scrap the tag and redo it.

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like and Dislike tags do not change the outcome of voting Nov 30, 2008

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:

Hi!

1) When someone expresses its dislike over a person's error; then other people can say "I agree" / "I disagree" over such error. So, I would say, I someone finds this error, and then 2 or 3 people disagree with such statement, then shouldn't the negative comment be deleted? Obviously, more people don't think of it as an error, no? Well, the error just remains there. I don't know if at the end this is counted as an error or if you take into account the disagreement of others and don't consider it as a mistake for the final qualification.

Hi Cristina,

Winners are defined according to the net ratings their entries receive (i.e. 1-5 points awarded by clicking on the stars.)

Tagging does not change the outcome of voting; the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants.

Romina

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tagging two spaces Nov 30, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Impossible to tag if there is more than one space between words. It would be better to delete double (triple, etc) spaces automatically on posting.
In one of the pairs I found a text with a lot of stuff to tag, but the author put too many spaces, thus protecting himself (herself) from too many tags (maybe involuntary, but still....)

Hi Yani,

Now it should be possible to tag in such situations as you describe. We are still working on refining the mouseover for those cases.

Romina

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To see agree/disagree counter and comments one should agree or disagree first Nov 30, 2008

Monika Coulson wrote:

Enjoy your weekend.
Monika

Hi Monika,

Thanks for voting! Your comments will be visible to others once they agree or disagree with the tag themselves.

Romina

Kathleen Shelly
Kathleen Shelly  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Name on Likes/Dislikes Nov 30, 2008

I do not want my name to appear on my "Likes" and "Dislikes" but I see that it does. How can I make that stop?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: feedback on tagging

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »