Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2008

Dear contestants,

Thanks to all so far for your participation, which has exceeded expectations.

Qualification and voting rounds were planned to start today. Unfortunately, setting up the system to pass on to the voting rounds is taking longer than expected. Therefore, it has been decided that the voting rounds in language pairs with more than 3 entries will start next week.

Pairs with only 1 or 2 entries are still accepting entries.

I'd
... See more
Dear contestants,

Thanks to all so far for your participation, which has exceeded expectations.

Qualification and voting rounds were planned to start today. Unfortunately, setting up the system to pass on to the voting rounds is taking longer than expected. Therefore, it has been decided that the voting rounds in language pairs with more than 3 entries will start next week.

Pairs with only 1 or 2 entries are still accepting entries.

I'd like to take this opportunity to also clarify one point about the prizes - the draw will be held using the profile numbers of the contest winners so that all contest winners have equal chances, independent of whether they have entered alone or with a partner.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope to see even more of you in the contest!

Best regards,

Romina
Collapse

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Can we rate the entries now? Nov 27, 2008

Hi Romina!

I was checking the Contest page and I noticed that some pairs are already open for rating. Is this function working properly or we still have to wait for an official communication informing us that we can already rate/ vote.

ThankZ for your attention.
Fernanda

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 09:27
Which language pairs can I vote? Nov 27, 2008

Hi Romina,

My native language is Chinese. I have just found out that I can vote Chinese to English translation, but am excluded from voting Chinese to German translation.

Why? Both German and English are my working languages. Either I can vote both pairs, or neither of them.

Bin

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
tech.problems Nov 27, 2008

1. Tagging doesn't work for phrases with quotation marks.

2. It's impossible to tag a word if it's already included in another tag.

3. In the ES-RU pair "View all tags" doesn't work in "All entries" view.

Is it possible to show the entries randomly? In the pairs with a lot of entries (EN-ES, EN-RU, etc) the first entries get the most of tags. It's not fair. No one has enough patience to read, tag and evaluate all 30-60 entries.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, it is possible to vote Nov 27, 2008

Fernanda Rocha wrote:
I was checking the Contest page and I noticed that some pairs are already open for rating. Is this function working properly or we still have to wait for an official communication informing us that we can already rate/ vote.

Hi Fernanda,

Yes, voting is now possible.

Bin, YaniQC, thanks for the feedback. I'll ask Romina and Mariano to look into the issues, if they have not already.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Evaluating 35 entries Nov 27, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Is it possible to show the entries randomly? In the pairs with a lot of entries (EN-ES, EN-RU, etc) the first entries get the most of tags. It's not fair. No one has enough patience to read, tag and evaluate all 30-60 entries.

I agree, and suggest the following for future contests: Is there some way that we can print out the entries? After I sit at the computer reading and marking all these things, I feel like a pretzel. So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.
Thanks,
Susan

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moreover Nov 27, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.

Why the entries are limited in small boxes even when we look them in "View each entry side by side with source text" mode?

[Edited at 2008-11-27 18:14 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Entries are shown in random order already Nov 27, 2008

Susan Welsh wrote:
YaniQC wrote:
Is it possible to show the entries randomly?

I agree

Already, each person sees the entries in a different order. See the FAQ: http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=faqs#contests_disq_disq

This question comes up a lot, though, so I will ask Romina and Mariano to add a note on the page.
... and suggest the following for future contests: Is there some way that we can print out the entries? After I sit at the computer reading and marking all these things, I feel like a pretzel. So much better if I could read them on hard copy and then enter whatever notations into the file.

Thanks for the suggestion, Susan.

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...

:) Nov 27, 2008

Henry D wrote:

Hi Fernanda,

Yes, voting is now possible.

Thanks for your reply, Henry!

I have noticed the same tech. problems YaniQC mentioned.

And I second all the suggestions made in this thread.

CheerZ!
Fernanda

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who can vote in qualification and final rounds Nov 27, 2008

Hi Bin,

Bin Tiede wrote:

Hi Romina,

My native language is Chinese. I have just found out that I can vote Chinese to English translation, but am excluded from voting Chinese to German translation.

Why? Both German and English are my working languages. Either I can vote both pairs, or neither of them.

Bin

# Language pairs with more than 7 entries are in the qualification round voting as the number of entries is not manageable for a final voting round.

# Language pairs with 3-7 entries are in the final round voting.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests_voting_process

Qualification round voting is open to translators that work in the same language pair they wish to vote whereas final voting is open to translators that work in the same pair and are native in the language of the target text.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests.8

In the cases you mentioned Chinese to English is in qualification round (as it received 17 entries) but Chinese to German is in Final voting round (i.e. only those that work in the pair and are native in German can vote in that pair).

Romina

Caroline Mackay-Sim (X)
Caroline Mackay-Sim (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 23:27
English to French
+ ...
Unable to tag Nov 28, 2008

[quote]YaniQC wrote:

1. Tagging doesn't work for phrases with quotation marks.

2. It's impossible to tag a word if it's already included in another tag.

The system is generally very impressive but there is a tagging problem. Not only does tagging not work for some phrases but the tagging window freezes and it is impossible to submit or cancel, so that the proz page must be refreshed. It is very frustrating and it also means that some entries will just not get tagged. Any solution?

[Edited at 2008-11-28 02:41 GMT]

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
War of Dislikes Nov 28, 2008

In English to Russian pair, there is a big war of dislikes.
And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

So, one should ask: Why contestants need rights for voting?
Of course for any contestant his/her entry would be the best of the best.

This makes the process much more difficult I think.

Christian Schneider
Christian Schneider  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:27
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Strategical balancing Nov 28, 2008

I also think contestants should not be able to vote in a pair they have submitted an entry themselves. It leaves too much space for manipulation. Like Ali ponted out, 'strategical balancing' seems possible.

On the other hand, maybe we take it all too serious.

Cheers,
Chris

[Edited at 2008-11-28 15:14 GMT]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Thank you, Romina, it is clear now! Nov 28, 2008

RominaZ wrote:

# Language pairs with more than 7 entries are in the qualification round voting as the number of entries is not manageable for a final voting round.

# Language pairs with 3-7 entries are in the final round voting.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests_voting_process

Qualification round voting is open to translators that work in the same language pair they wish to vote whereas final voting is open to translators that work in the same pair and are native in the language of the target text.

Please see http://www.proz.com/faq/contests#contests.8

In the cases you mentioned Chinese to English is in qualification round (as it received 17 entries) but Chinese to German is in Final voting round (i.e. only those that work in the pair and are native in German can vote in that pair).

Romina

Dmitrie Highduke
Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:27
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Holy war of dislikes Nov 28, 2008

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

In English to Russian pair, there is a big war of dislikes.
And I think most of them have been provided by the contestants to each other (strategically, in order to balance situation)

So, one should ask: Why contestants need rights for voting?
Of course for any contestant his/her entry would be the best of the best.

This makes the process much more difficult I think.

Actually, it's not bad if people point out mistakes in translation, be it contestants or readers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Annual ProZ.com Translation Contest: voting rounds will start next week

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »