Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2008

Dear All,

Does anybody have information about the next (annual) contest?
I mean estimated dates and conditions.

Thanks in advance.

M. Ali BAYRAKTAR

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 19:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I am really looking forward to taking part in it Jul 31, 2008

I am really looking forward to the next huge annual Proz competition as well.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Annual Contest Jul 31, 2008

Hi M. Ali and Gábor Széles,

Since there are some details to adjust in the qualification round of contest interface, the original start date of the annual contest has been delayed a little.

I'm happy to see the community expressing their interest in this feature.

I'm looking forward to the next contest myself.

Those interested in proposing a source text for an upcoming contest can contact me at romina at proz.com for the list of themes and sel
... See more
Hi M. Ali and Gábor Széles,

Since there are some details to adjust in the qualification round of contest interface, the original start date of the annual contest has been delayed a little.

I'm happy to see the community expressing their interest in this feature.

I'm looking forward to the next contest myself.

Those interested in proposing a source text for an upcoming contest can contact me at romina at proz.com for the list of themes and selection guidelines.

See you soon

Romina
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Any news? Oct 13, 2008

Hi Romina,

Are there any news regarding the date of the next annual contest?

Since I know that many colleagues have been experiencing a quieter time than usual it might be a good idea to hold it soon (before we hopefully are too busy to participate)...

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Annual Contest Oct 13, 2008

Hi Romina,

I will do my best to take part in it, and am also looking forward to hearing some news about it.

Ciao,

Iwonka

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Annual contest Oct 13, 2008

Hi All,

I'll give you an update on the Annual Contest later this week.

I'm glad to hear you are ready for it.

Romina

Joseph Brazauskas
Joseph Brazauskas
United States
Local time: 13:07
Latin to English
+ ...
Annual Contest Oct 14, 2008

Could you tell us what likelihood there is that there may be multiple source texts in this year's contest? For the monothematic source texts offerred so far seem to me, who work chiefly in the ancient classical languages and, I suspect, to many of my colleagues who work in other ancient (e.g., Coptic, ancient Hebrew, Old English, Old Irish) or in non-Western languages (e.g., Arabic, Bantu, Chinese, Malay) routinely based on some aspect of modern Western culture, life, beliefs, interests, pre-oc... See more
Could you tell us what likelihood there is that there may be multiple source texts in this year's contest? For the monothematic source texts offerred so far seem to me, who work chiefly in the ancient classical languages and, I suspect, to many of my colleagues who work in other ancient (e.g., Coptic, ancient Hebrew, Old English, Old Irish) or in non-Western languages (e.g., Arabic, Bantu, Chinese, Malay) routinely based on some aspect of modern Western culture, life, beliefs, interests, pre-occupations, and so forth that are or may appear to be irrelevant, unchallenging (or too challenging), and even antipathetic to the spirit and concerns of these colleagues' linguistic interests, cultures, and environments, resulting in a reluctance to submit an entry at all. I know this to be true of myself.

I'm not suggesting that there ought to be a plethora of source texts with sundry themes and subjects catering to every single language and its associated cultural milieu represented on Proz, which would obviously be impracticable. On the other hand, I do believe that these contests would gain greatly in linguistic, historical, and cultural interest, as well as in the number of participants who work in the types of languages discussed above, if a small number of additional source texts dealing with non-Western and ancient or Mediaeval themes were offerred. Perhaps this could be made practicable by devising a limited number of source texts intended for set categories of translators (e.g., one for Graeco-Roman, another for Indigenous American, a third for Islamic, and so on).
Collapse

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Annual contest will begin October 28 (next Tuesday) Oct 23, 2008

Hi All,

The annual contest will begin on October 28 (next Tuesday) and I'll make the official announcement then.

Joseph, thanks for your interest and your suggestions. Including the languages you mentioned could be a nice challenge for next year's agenda.

See you on Monday.

Romina

Edwin Miles
Edwin Miles
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
No German-English this year? Nov 3, 2008

Just noticed that the annual contest is underway... but that there seems (as yet) to be no German source text. Hmmm... Will there be?

Ed

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
German source text Nov 3, 2008

Dear Ed,

Thanks for your interest in the Annual contest. Please see my post regarding the German source text here http://www.proz.com/post/979633#979633

If a suitable German source text is proposed in time, it will be presented in this competition, of course.

Regards,

Romina

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:07
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
New rules? Nov 4, 2008

I'd be interested to know which points raised following the last contest have been taken on board and which not. In short, what are the NEW rules? Or are we going with the previous ones with no modifications thereto?

[Edited at 2008-11-05 08:32]

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
New contest features Nov 5, 2008

Hi Paul,

There won't be major changes to the rules, but there will be some new implementations improving the interface for qualification round. I'll be posting an update soon.

Regards,
Romina

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
German source text now available Nov 6, 2008

Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that a source text in German has been recently added to the ones already available.

I hope you find it appealing.

Best regards,
Romina
ProZ.com staff

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:07
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
cart before the horse? Nov 7, 2008

OK, Romina, but the contest is already underway and, strictly speaking, the rules should precede what it is they discipline. It would be good, too, to have a summary of the various objections and proposals made and an explanation as to why they were accepted or rejected by the rules committee.

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Paul,

There won't be major changes to the rules, but there will be some new implementations improving the interface for qualification round. I'll be posting an update soon.

Regards,
Romina

[Edited at 2008-11-08 01:39]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annual Contest

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »