Thread poster: Ali Bayraktar
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
New implementations for qualification round Nov 7, 2008

Hi All,

Experience from previous translation contests has shown that entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of different voters do not generally move on to the finals. Based on this, and on community feedback on the qualification round, during this contest entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will not move on to the next round and will no longer be subject to review. This will also apply to those entries that appear t
... See more
Hi All,

Experience from previous translation contests has shown that entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of different voters do not generally move on to the finals. Based on this, and on community feedback on the qualification round, during this contest entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will not move on to the next round and will no longer be subject to review. This will also apply to those entries that appear to have no reasonable chance of winning.

Other changes which are expected to improve the quality of the upcoming contest include:

* Voters assigning a rating ≤ 2 will be requested to enter a reason (dislike tag).
* There will be a limit on the number of dislike tags an entry can receive (30); after that, the dislike tag option will gray-out. However, taggers will continue to have the option to agree or disagree with the already existing like or dislike tags.
* When tagging, the reasons entered in the space provided under the"other" category will be visible to others (subject to vetting before becoming visible).
* Tagging will not be anonymous. A tagger's identity will be publicly shown once the contest finishes.
* Entry authors will be given the option to provide references to support their choices in the event they disagree with a dislike tag their entry has received.
*Tagging has been refined to show the exact position of the tagged word in the source text

Romina
Collapse

Paul O'Brien
Paul O'Brien  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:14
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Doesn't get to the heart of the other issues raised Nov 8, 2008

Hi Romina,
those new rules look good, but it seems to me that they are quite limited. They don't deal, for example, with how (in my language pair case, at any rate) L2 submissions that, while laudable from a human point of view, were completely unacceptable from a linguistic perspective, nonetheless reached the finals and actually achieved votes! And while your points address the issue of anonymous comments, they do not treat of anonymous ENTRIES, which I, for one, deem to be non-transpare
... See more
Hi Romina,
those new rules look good, but it seems to me that they are quite limited. They don't deal, for example, with how (in my language pair case, at any rate) L2 submissions that, while laudable from a human point of view, were completely unacceptable from a linguistic perspective, nonetheless reached the finals and actually achieved votes! And while your points address the issue of anonymous comments, they do not treat of anonymous ENTRIES, which I, for one, deem to be non-transparent and wholly absurd.
Affectionately,
Paul

RominaZ wrote:

Hi All,

Experience from previous translation contests has shown that entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of different voters do not generally move on to the finals. Based on this, and on community feedback on the qualification round, during this contest entries which receive a net rating ≤ 2 from a reasonable number of voters will not move on to the next round and will no longer be subject to review.

Other changes which are expected to improve the quality of the upcoming contest include:

* Voters assigning a rating ≤ 2 will be requested to enter a reason (dislike tag).
* There will be a limit on the number of dislike tags an entry can receive (30); after that, the dislike tag option will gray-out. However, taggers will continue to have the option to agree or disagree with the already existing like or dislike tags.
* When tagging, the reasons entered in the space provided under the"other" category will be visible to others (subject to vetting before becoming visible).
* Tagging will not be anonymous. A tagger's identity will be publicly shown once the contest finishes.
* Entry authors will be given the option to provide references to support their choices in the event they disagree with a dislike tag their entry has received.
*Tagging has been refined to show the exact position of the tagged word in the source text

Romina
Collapse

Paul O'Brien
Argentina
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Clarification on what I mean by "anonymity" Nov 12, 2008

I wish to make it clear that, when protesting against anonymous entries, I do not mean that the identity of a colleague who makes a submission should be evident from the outset. On the contrary, all entries are quite rightly anonymous. Rather, my remonstrances are in relation to the fact that, for example, the person who came second in the most recent Ital>Eng contest was anonymous: in other words, his/her identity was not revealed even after the contest had ended. Never EVER, in any type of com... See more
I wish to make it clear that, when protesting against anonymous entries, I do not mean that the identity of a colleague who makes a submission should be evident from the outset. On the contrary, all entries are quite rightly anonymous. Rather, my remonstrances are in relation to the fact that, for example, the person who came second in the most recent Ital>Eng contest was anonymous: in other words, his/her identity was not revealed even after the contest had ended. Never EVER, in any type of competition in which I have taken part or observed, have I heard winners and runners up announced as anonymous.
I agree that comments on people's submissions should be a) signed or b) anonymous but explained by whoever it is that makes them (and it seems to me that this is being dealt with adequately by Romina and the rules committee), but I am convinced that whoever wishes to remain completely anonymous even after final voting has been completed, hence for the entire duration of the contest, prize-giving phase included, should not be allowed to enter.
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contest winners' identities are always shown Nov 12, 2008

Hi Pauley,

Thanks for your feedback. I'd like to clarify one point about contest winners' identities - in all cases winners' identities are shown once final voting is over. The other contestants, however, do have the option of showing or hiding their names.

Remaining anonymous can be a valid option for some contestants for different reasons. I think this should continue to depend on each contestant's judgment.

Warm regards,
Romina

Paul O'Brien
Argentina
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
my point concerned winners and runners up, not just winners Nov 12, 2008

Hi Romina,
as a matter of fact my point concerned winners and runners up. I disagree that remaining nameless is a valid option, since anonymity can be achieved far more effectively by simply not entering the contest. There is also the question of transparency (or lack thereof in this case).
At any rate, I'm glad to see that the person who came second in the previous Ital>Eng contest is no longer anonymous.
Paul

RominaZ wrote:

Hi Pauley,

Thanks for your feedback. I'd like to clarify one point about contest winners' identities - in all cases winners' identities are shown once final voting is over. The other contestants, however, do have the option of showing or hiding their names.

Remaining anonymous can be a valid option for some contestants for different reasons. I think this should continue to depend on each contestant's judgment.

Warm regards,
Romina

Pham Huu Phuoc
Pham Huu Phuoc  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:14
English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good job for voting implementation of contest Nov 18, 2008

Hi Rominaz,

Nice to see you again on this site. It's a good idea for improving the quality of the upcoming contest. I hope this contest will be successfully.

Kind regards,

Phuoc

Ivanatis
Ivanatis
English to German
Good luck everybody! Nov 18, 2008

It's still open to full members only, isn't it? Quite a pity, I would have loved to participate.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annual Contest

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »