Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
7th ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!
Thread poster: RominaZ
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
At last, time to reply. Jul 19, 2008

Hi everyone,

I thought my entry deserved to be among the finalists, too, but there you go. I'm sure the majority of entrants would say the same. I was very surprised that no-one tagged my first line (like or dislike) which was completely different from any of the other entries and would have been read by all the voters even if they didn't read any further. As I said in a previous post (more than one, in fact) I believe we should be shown the qualification round scores especially s
... See more
Hi everyone,

I thought my entry deserved to be among the finalists, too, but there you go. I'm sure the majority of entrants would say the same. I was very surprised that no-one tagged my first line (like or dislike) which was completely different from any of the other entries and would have been read by all the voters even if they didn't read any further. As I said in a previous post (more than one, in fact) I believe we should be shown the qualification round scores especially since that is the only thing that "counts" in the selection for the final round (and I am a bit miffed that none of the contest team has addressed this).

Anyway, my two-penneth. I would like to see:

~ comment fields on all tags

~ an overall comment field (not linked to tags) where a discussion between voters (and entrant) can take place. Perhaps given as an option when the entry is submitted, "Do you want a comment/discussion field open on your entry?" User names should be shown on comments

~ tag box to appear at the side of (not covering) the entry. (I had to close the box every time I wanted to scroll down the entry to find the different tags.)

~ qualification scores to be shown at the end of the round

~ entry number (different on each voter's screen) to be shown in the final round i.e. if entry number 9 (on my screen) qualifies, then it would also show number 9 in the final round.

~ allow entries from non-native speakers of the target language

~ voters must be native speakers of the target language

~ perhaps a panel to oversee the voting process with the authority to challenge and/or nullify all the votes of any voter they consider to be voting unfairly.

~ voting to be optionally anonymous

I also wonder where other proz members are who have provided valuable input in previous competitions, but are noticeably absent this time around. (Goodwords and Jackspeak to name but two.) Their opinions would be welcome.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Collapse

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Local time: 06:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good suggestions, patyjs - and great entry! Jul 20, 2008

I think many of the suggestions you're offering would help improve the contest - in particular the 'overall comment field,' which would probably yield some lively, enlightening debates about the entries.

I also went over to your portfolio and looked at your translation again (since that's the only place we can see it now, as non-finalists are not displayed as part of the contest).

During the qualification round, there were about 3-4 translations which struck me as being
... See more
I think many of the suggestions you're offering would help improve the contest - in particular the 'overall comment field,' which would probably yield some lively, enlightening debates about the entries.

I also went over to your portfolio and looked at your translation again (since that's the only place we can see it now, as non-finalists are not displayed as part of the contest).

During the qualification round, there were about 3-4 translations which struck me as being possible finalists. Yours was definitely one of them - it has many nicely phrased terms, and no errors. (The only thing I would quibble about is "not because of the kicks, but the anxiety" which, as I have said regarding other entries, should not fail to include an English synonym for "but" to translate the initial "pero" e.g. "although not because of the kicks, but the anxiety.")

You had an excellent entry and it is a reflection on the voting system problems that some entries with rather serious errors made it to the finals while yours didn't.

Regarding your opening sentence: "Football bears a curse that is at the same time a blessing for defeat-stricken players, trainers and fans." - the only thing I see different about it would be its use of the adjective "defeat-stricken" in the attributive position, which is a nice, natural-sounding way of translating "compungidos por una derrota" into English (although in my case I tried to preserve the original word order here, putting the adjective at the end: "feeling downtrodden after a defeat" - which also got no tags!).

[Edited at 2008-07-20 02:17]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

7th ProZ.com Translation Contest: announcement of winners!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »