RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
New features. Jun 9, 2008

Hi All,

These are the latest features implemented in response to your feedback:

- When a rater is trying to tag a word/phrase that has already been tagged, he/she will see the the following:
" 'xxxx' has been tagged already. See if you "agree or disagree" with the tags.

This will avoid the overlapping of tags.

-To avoid highlighting all the occurrences of a word throughout a given entry, the following message will be shown:

... See more
Hi All,

These are the latest features implemented in response to your feedback:

- When a rater is trying to tag a word/phrase that has already been tagged, he/she will see the the following:
" 'xxxx' has been tagged already. See if you "agree or disagree" with the tags.

This will avoid the overlapping of tags.

-To avoid highlighting all the occurrences of a word throughout a given entry, the following message will be shown:

" 'word' is repeated 'x' times in this text. Please, highlight more context (i.e. 2 or 3 words) to differentiate it form the rest."

- An "undo" arrow has been added to undo "agreement/disagreement".

- The option for the author of the entry to disagree with dislike tags has been enabled.

- The categories "syntax" and "punctuation" have been added to the pull down dislike menu.

Thanks

Romina
Collapse

Henar Chico (X)
Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you so much! Jun 9, 2008

Hi Romina, you and your team are great! Thank you so much for not only considering our suggestions but for implementing them so quickly.

Un saludo,

Henar Chico

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yet another request... Jun 9, 2008

Would it be possible to float the tag box? When I see a comment, either like or dislike, I have to close the box in order to find the tag in the text. I then have to reopen the tag box to agree or disagree with the comment.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the number of dislikes compared to likes. What a critical lot we are! Just an observation

And I agree with Henar, too, that the speed of the cont
... See more
Would it be possible to float the tag box? When I see a comment, either like or dislike, I have to close the box in order to find the tag in the text. I then have to reopen the tag box to agree or disagree with the comment.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the number of dislikes compared to likes. What a critical lot we are! Just an observation

And I agree with Henar, too, that the speed of the contest team at getting all our requests implemented so quickly is admirable!
Thanks, guys.
Collapse

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Local time: 05:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
"Bug" tagging a piece of text involving quotes or parentheses Jun 10, 2008

First I'd like to say congratulations to the website programmers and administrators on a "job well done" implementing (and upgrading!) the complex new features for the contest qualification phase. (Being a programmer myself, I'm curious - was this implemented using AJAX?)

Now here's an occasional "bug" I've noticed: If the user didn't select any text before clicking on 'Like' or 'Dislike' then of course an error message appears telling the user to select some text before clicking,
... See more
First I'd like to say congratulations to the website programmers and administrators on a "job well done" implementing (and upgrading!) the complex new features for the contest qualification phase. (Being a programmer myself, I'm curious - was this implemented using AJAX?)

Now here's an occasional "bug" I've noticed: If the user didn't select any text before clicking on 'Like' or 'Dislike' then of course an error message appears telling the user to select some text before clicking, which is the correct program behavior.

However, sometimes this error message is also appearing when it shouldn't - ie, when the user actually *has* selected some text. In the couple of times that I've tested this, this "bug" seems to happen pretty consistently when the selected text includes quotes or parentheses. Maybe these special characters are impacting the way the program handles the selected text?

[Edited at 2008-06-10 03:44]
Collapse

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Spanish to English
+ ...
Can we add a comment (not a link) to a tag? Jun 10, 2008

I think the minimalist approach taken so far with the tag system is a good idea - just a drop-down menu describing what kind of tag it is, plus space for an optional link, as this avoids the possibility of blowing up into massive flame wars.

That being said, however, there do seem to be times when it's not always possible to come up with a link which explains your tag. So I was wondering if it would be possible for the user to insert a short comment using the same box currently prov
... See more
I think the minimalist approach taken so far with the tag system is a good idea - just a drop-down menu describing what kind of tag it is, plus space for an optional link, as this avoids the possibility of blowing up into massive flame wars.

That being said, however, there do seem to be times when it's not always possible to come up with a link which explains your tag. So I was wondering if it would be possible for the user to insert a short comment using the same box currently provided for inserting a link? Sometimes the only way you can explain your tag is by saying (for example): "should say 'was', not 'were' here" - which is short and sweet, and you might not always be able to find a link which expresses the same thing.

Again, if short comments were allowed as well as links, I think the current space limitations are a good thing, so that the qualification phase won't devolve into overly lengthy discussions. I'm just suggesting that it might be good to allow the user to insert a link *or* a short comment for the tag they're adding (or for a tag they're agreeing/disagreeing with).

[Edited at 2008-06-10 03:50]
Collapse

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Spanish to English
+ ...
Could the optional link accompanying a tag be made visible? Jun 10, 2008

Currently the contest qualification system allows a user to add a link to the 'Like' or 'Dislike' tag they're inserting (and to an 'Agree' or 'Disagree' note they're adding to someone else's existing tag).

Could these links be made visible to the other users?

For an obscure point of grammar or style, it could be mystifying to other users exactly *why* you inserted that 'Like' or 'Dislike' tag (or that vote to 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with someone else's tag) - if nobody is
... See more
Currently the contest qualification system allows a user to add a link to the 'Like' or 'Dislike' tag they're inserting (and to an 'Agree' or 'Disagree' note they're adding to someone else's existing tag).

Could these links be made visible to the other users?

For an obscure point of grammar or style, it could be mystifying to other users exactly *why* you inserted that 'Like' or 'Dislike' tag (or that vote to 'Agree' or 'Disagree' with someone else's tag) - if nobody is able to see the supporting reasoning (ie, the link) accompanying it. Seeing the supporting reasoning would help other users decide whether they agree or disagree with that tag (or with that vote) and would probably help resolve translation issues faster.

This change, if implemented, would (hopefully!) not involve much additional programming, since the data (the link) has already been captured, and it would then just be a question of displaying the already-captured link.
Collapse

Donald Scott Alexander
Donald Scott Alexander

Spanish to English
+ ...
Allowing the translator to 'Agree'/'Disagree' with a 'Like'/'Dislike' tag Jun 10, 2008

Henar Chico wrote:

Henar Chico wrote:

Hi Romina:

Talking about the Likes and Dislikes, it would be great if the translator was able to post a note or link supporting their choice under Dislikes on their own translation. For example, somebody marked "televisor" as a mistranslation of "television set", when, according to Wordreference.com (http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=television%20set&dict=enes&b=Search), it is perfectly fine.

I know that other people can later go and agree or disagree, but still...

Thanks, keep up the good work!

Sorry to keep insisting on this topic, but I just found another instance where "buzos de trabajo" has been quoted as a mistranslation of "work overalls", and this time another person agrees with it, when in fact, it is just fine (http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=buzo). Not only that, all the time while I was growing up in Spain my dad would always ask my mom whether his "buzos" were clean because he had to go to work. I just feel that being able to post an explanation or link would be really, really helpful. It looks to me that people read and rate translations but apparently, they don't bother to check whether the chosen word is a correct translation, even if that's not the word they would have used.

Thanks, and I promise I won't post about this issue again even if I find more examples.

Henar Chico

[Edited at 2008-06-08 12:19]

This is an interesting and possibly delicate topic... and I'm not too sure which way I feel about it.

On the one hand, we can certainly imagine a situation where a translator has done a good job on a very difficult term which none of the raters understand - so they all tag it with 'Dislike' when in fact it was a good job!

On the other had, we also have seen that some translators (including myself at times!) can become very "attached" to how they've translated a particular term and can become very "sensitive" or "defensive" in the face of criticism - so encouraging translators to defend themselves against 'Dislike' tags could get a bit out of hand in some situations.

Our overriding aim of course should be high-quality translations. And since it would be terrible if a translator did an excellent job on a very difficult term and nobody else "got" it, I guess I would favor allowing the translator to vote 'Agree'/'Disagree' on a tag (and briefly explain why), just like any other user currently can. If the current "minimalist" system is maintained (ie, where the amount of space allotted for the supporting reasoning accompanying an 'Agree'/'Disagree' vote is only big enough to fit a link - or possibly a short comment), then that should avoid any "flame wars" erupting due to oversensitivity or defensiveness - while still offering a good way for a translator who did a great job on a particularly difficult term to enlighten voters who might have missed something.

While of course we don't want translators to be "promoting" their own contest entries, we also should avoid silencing *any* voice (including the translator of a particular entry) in the case of a particularly difficult translation. There definitely could be situations where some input from the translator could be essential to explaining a difficult term.

[Edited at 2008-06-10 04:28]

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't scroll down on the tag box. Jun 17, 2008

In the last couple of days when I've looked at the tag boxes, there is no scroll at the side. I just see the first two or three tags but I can't scroll down to see them all. Anyone else having this problem?

Paty

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for reporting this Jun 17, 2008

Dear patyjs,

Thanks for reporting this. We'll take a look into this problem and let you know.

Romina

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dunno if this is the place to complain... Jun 30, 2008

But, why do I always hear about these contests when they're in the "final stages", and not prior to initiation, so that I, too, can participate?
I would love to have participated in this PT/EN contest.
Today was the first time I heard anything about it...

/tony

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Publicizing of contests Jul 1, 2008

Tony Baldwin wrote:
"Today was the first time I heard anything about it..."

I've noticed that there does not seem to be much activity in the contests, at least in my language pairs. (Entries that I've marked up seem not to have been evaluated by anyone else, or if so, only one other person.) I also haven't seen regular notices about the contest on the home page, except a day or so before the deadline for a given "round."

In the last contest, it seemed to me that
... See more
Tony Baldwin wrote:
"Today was the first time I heard anything about it..."

I've noticed that there does not seem to be much activity in the contests, at least in my language pairs. (Entries that I've marked up seem not to have been evaluated by anyone else, or if so, only one other person.) I also haven't seen regular notices about the contest on the home page, except a day or so before the deadline for a given "round."

In the last contest, it seemed to me that some people were getting too worked up over it, with a big flap about people who get their relatives to register in order to vote for them, and whatnot. Childish stuff. Maybe it's the cutthroat spirit coming to the fore, like bidding on E-Bay.

The contests are challenging, and a good way to sharpen your language skills and receive (hopefully constructive) criticism from native speakers. The more participants, the better.
Who cares who wins?

Susan
Collapse

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still can't scroll the likes/dislikes tags. Jul 1, 2008

I'm not getting the scroll bar to the right of the box so I can't see all the tags.

BTW, Romina, once it's over, will we get to see how we all fared in both rounds of the contest? Since it was clear from the start that only the first seven would pass to the final round I can't see a problem with showing the results.

[Edited at 2008-07-01 01:33]

RominaZ
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contest invitations Jul 1, 2008

Dear Anthony,

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

But, why do I always hear about these contests when they're in the "final stages", and not prior to initiation, so that I, too, can participate?
I would love to have participated in this PT/EN contest.
Today was the first time I heard anything about it...

/tony

Invitations to participate in the contests usually take the form of forum announcements (in this forum), contest banners displayed on the home page, notifications to the members subscribed to receive contest notifications, announcements in the newsletter and, in some cases, I send reminders to enter or vote when deadlines are close.

You can subscribe to receive contest notifications from the contest page and also track this forum.

I'm happy to hear you would like to participate. The annual contest will start soon. I'll make sure you receive an invitation.

Best regards,
Romina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with like/dislike notes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »