Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I fully agree with Marie-Hélène Apr 25, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that these contests are taken far too seriously by (some of) the entrants and, as a consequence, are being made over-complicated for those voting?

They're just a bit of fun, surely? And yet they seem to be creating acrimony and controversy everywhere. Personally I'd leave the structure exactly as it is. Those voting don't actually gain anything by doing so and making the process more long-winded and time-consuming seems counter-productive to me. While my particular pair has so far been relatively trouble-free, the continuing discord and seemingly increasing frequency of the contests are combining to turn me off the whole idea, and if the voting process is also made more complex I'll probably stop participating altogether.

[Edited at 2008-04-21 09:55]

Yes, our daily job is so hard sometimes! So, if contests were created for fun, why to take it so seriously? Why to make a real competition of it?

I´d also leave the structure as it is. If the voting process is made more complex and, consequently, more time-consuming, I think many people will stop participating.

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:24
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not so happy about this one Apr 25, 2008

Exchaging views when voting is underway is a good idea only if the final decision is made by the panel of independent experts. Otherwise such exchange may influence voters' opinions and objectivity, even if the identities are hidden. Like in Kudoz - more than once answer selected was not the best one, but the one that gathered more agrees, for various reasons.

Henry D wrote:
The goal of experimenting with this feature is two-fold: to provide contestants with feedback, and to help voters make informed decisions.

Constructive feedback, contestants may have galore in post-contest discussions, after the results have been announced. There is no point giving feedback during voting, as there is no way contestants can respond to the feedback or make changes to their entries once they are in the final round.

The idea of helping voters make informed decisions is, in my opinion, questionable and sounds like voters are viewed as helpless amateurs not able to make decisions on their own. Who will be helping who? As voters, we are all in the same boat. How do we know that those who will be "helping" are in a position to "help"? Finally, being professional translators voters are supposed to be informed well enough already, otherwise they should not vote at all.

To facilitate this system, and to make rating and voting more convenient, an option will be provided in the page showing entries to display the source and target texts in closer proximity.

That would be excellent!

Carol Gullidge
Carol Gullidge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:24
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Mariana Nov 9, 2008

mariana24 wrote:

I think this idea of commenting (before voting starts) is quite good. I agree with what's been said. Now, would the author have the possibility of "defending" -say- the part of his/her translation under discussion?

Would there be any way for authors to participate in a discussion on their own translation to remain anonymous? Do you see any disadvantages on authors participating in an exchange over their own work?

Thank you in advance, and I think everyone appreciates what you people are doing to improve the wonderful learning and exchange space these contests give us (which I think, it is all what they are about).

Cheers,

Mariana [/quote]

I think Mariana has a very valid point about the author being able to defend his/her translation. After all, the author has probably spent a good deal more time than anyone else carefully analysing the source text for register, hidden meanings, lexical fields, and a good many other things that will affect the translation strategy. It is more than possible that another reader will not have the time to consider all of these factors, and will simply be judging the entry on a comparatively quick read through, and for the general feel, and on whether there are any blatant inaccuracies - probably blissfully unaware that certain choices - not necessarily the obvious ones - will have been made very deliberately, and possibly with justification that isn't immediately obvious.

At least, it would be good if the contestant has the opportunity to either (i) reply to likes and dislikes, or (ii) submit a Translator's Note containing an explanation of the translation strategy, along with justifications for any of the more obscure decisions. This could perhaps be limited to a certain no. of words placed below the Target Text - or maybe put in a separate box. Perhaps!

Apart from that, I love the idea of being able to view the texts side by side, and also the idea of dislikes not being anonymous, or at least, requiring an explanation.

Well done!

Cheers,

Carol

[Edited at 2008-11-09 23:01]

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contestants will have the option to disagree with a dislike tag Nov 17, 2008

Hi Carol,

Carol Gullidge wrote:

At least, it would be good if the contestant has the opportunity to either (i) reply to likes and dislikes,

Yes. Contestants will have the option to disagree with a dislike tag his/her entry has received and enter a comment and a link. More details here http://www.proz.com/post/986620#986620

Romina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiment for next contest: Sharing "likes" and "dislikes" of entry texts

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »