TOPIC STARTER
Committee Apr 13, 2008

Committee

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Committee Apr 13, 2008

The best entry shall be chosen by a Committee.

Entries shall remain anonymous for the Committee until voting is over.

The Committee may have an option not to appoint any winner just to appoint the second place and so on.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 14:21]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:12
German to English
Forming committees in all the language pairs Apr 13, 2008

I think the idea of a committee is very good, but the fact that a committee will have to be formed for each and every language pair has to be considered, as this could be a very difficult task, especially in some of the more unusual language pairs, assuming that committee members would be professionals who are not associated with ProZ.com in any way.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 16:20]

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Exactly Apr 13, 2008

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I think the idea of a committee is very good, but the fact that a committee will have to be formed for each and every language pair has to be considered, as this could be a very difficult task, especially in some of the more unusual language pairs, assuming that committee members would be professionals who are not associated with ProZ.com in any way.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 16:20]

That's what I was also thinking about. The idea of the committee is very good, as this is a proven practice for many translation contests. However, I am not sure how it could be implemented for Proz.com contests, as they are unique in their globalness.

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
English to Belarusian
+ ...
So, for or against? Apr 13, 2008

Larissa B wrote:
That's what I was also thinking about. The idea of the committee is very good, as this is a proven practice for many translation contests. However...

If I am not mistaken, we were asked a simple question: A or B?

'A, but...'
and
'A which is not possible here...'

are not answering the question.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 17:54]

Annamaria Arlotta
Annamaria Arlotta  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
English to Italian
committee Apr 13, 2008

Considering the literary nature of these translations I think they should be evaluated by people with good writing skills. It seems unfair that some textes get top marks even if they contain syntax or grammar mistakes.

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Off-top Apr 13, 2008

Sorry for off-top, but I couldn't miss unadiluna's comment.

Hear, hear!

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
. Apr 13, 2008

Since inviting notorious translaters, writers, etc could present some difficulties for some exotic language pairs, I doubt that it's easy to change smth in the voting auditory for now.

But the "quality" of votes could be made better with some "technical" tricks.
For example, it would be great if there were like a scale for different text aspects (graphical accuracy, orthography, stylistics, proper translations, you name it) from 1 to 5, f.ex.
In this case, all voters wou
... See more
Since inviting notorious translaters, writers, etc could present some difficulties for some exotic language pairs, I doubt that it's easy to change smth in the voting auditory for now.

But the "quality" of votes could be made better with some "technical" tricks.
For example, it would be great if there were like a scale for different text aspects (graphical accuracy, orthography, stylistics, proper translations, you name it) from 1 to 5, f.ex.
In this case, all voters would be somewhat asked to read the translations more carefully and to evaluate them with more diligence.
It would be great to have the original text open just near every translation to be able to compare without scrolling up and down continuosly and without opening two windows.
In En-Ru pair there are 15 finalists, but I only voted for one, the most striking. I abandoned the idea to give the other two votes, cause it's extremely unhandy to compare the other 14 texts as they are presented for the moment.
In Ru-Fr pair there are only 6 finalists, and it was much more easy and less time-consuming to give all my three votes, though it would have been better presented.
Collapse

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Why do we need them? Apr 13, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Since inviting notorious translaters...

Notorious translators? What do you mean?

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
. Apr 13, 2008

Yuri Smirnov wrote:

Larissa B wrote:
That's what I was also thinking about. The idea of the committee is very good, as this is a proven practice for many translation contests. However...

If I am not mistaken, we were asked a simple question: A or B?

'A, but...'
and
'A which is not possible here...'

are not answering the question.

[Edited at 2008-04-13 17:54]

If the idea of the committee can be implemented, great. If not, I will understand. But generally speaking, it doesn't make a big difference for me. Whatever the final decision, I will go by the majority. A committee or no committee, I will be participating anyway.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-14 02:30]

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
. Apr 13, 2008

Yuri Smirnov wrote:

YaniQC wrote:

Since inviting notorious translaters...

Distinguished, reputed, well-known.
It's a French calque.

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
I see Apr 13, 2008

YaniQC wrote:

Yuri Smirnov wrote:
Distinguished, reputed, well-known.
It's a French calque.

Ah, I see. I thought you wanted more scandal than there is

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)
Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
English to Spanish
Committee, please Apr 14, 2008

As Yuri says, let's stick to just voting for one thing or the other, and later we can have another discussion about the ins and outs of the option chosen.

Cheers,
Jean-Pierre

Yuri Smirnov
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Sorry again Apr 14, 2008

I think, it would be wise and respectful to the asker if we answer his question (A or B), and not our own ideas (I have plenty of them, too).
Thank you.

[Edited at 2008-04-14 14:06]

Katia Gygax
Katia Gygax  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
French to Russian
+ ...
About "technical tricks" Apr 14, 2008

YaniQC wrote:
It would be great to have the original text open just near every translation to be able to compare without scrolling up and down continuosly and without opening two windows.

The idea seems good to me, I thought about the same. It will not be as efficient as our two steps scheme but it can help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's try to make the voting system better

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »