https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_training/298147-translating_for_the_eu_industry_working_with_safety_data_sheets_sdss.html&phpv_redirected=1

For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
Translating for the EU Industry: Working with Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com training » "Translating for the EU Industry: Working with Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)".
You can see the ProZ.com training page and participate in this discussion from there.

Bart Pauly
Bart Pauly  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Previous experience Feb 11, 2016

Hi Elisa,

This sounds really interesting, I know there is a quite big demand in this type of translations. However, I still don't have experience in translating for the EU nor in this type of texts. Moreover, I'm not yet a sworn translator (this will change). Is this course something for me (now)?

Thanks in advance!

Elisa Farina
Elisa Farina  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Italian
+ ...
No need for specific previous experience Feb 11, 2016

Hi Bart,

thank you very much for raising the subject! I'm sure that more than one colleague has the same doubts as you.

The first useful bit of information is that you don't need to be a sworn translator to translate a SDS. Although this kind of document has some very important legal bases and may have serious legal consequences (especially in the case of accident), its translation doesn't need to be sworn.

Second, there's really no need for you to have already t
... See more
Hi Bart,

thank you very much for raising the subject! I'm sure that more than one colleague has the same doubts as you.

The first useful bit of information is that you don't need to be a sworn translator to translate a SDS. Although this kind of document has some very important legal bases and may have serious legal consequences (especially in the case of accident), its translation doesn't need to be sworn.

Second, there's really no need for you to have already translated SDSs in the past. The first edition of this same webinar was attended by colleagues who had already translated SDSs and by others who had never seen a SDS in their lives. These two groups of people were seeking different kinds of knowledge: those in group A looked for confirmation or for some additional rules or strategies they didn't know about and that would help them work better (more than one has admitted to having made mistakes when translating SDSs in the past; that's OK, the important thing is they don't do the same in the future); those in group B (like you) wished to learn the techniques from scratch. My webinar is designed to satisfy both groups: I start from the basics and work my way through a SDS.

Third, to know something about the way the EU legal system works is a plus, but not a must. I'm quite sure you can follow my explanation even if you don't know all about regulations and directives.

I hope this answers your questions! If not, please ask.

I hope to "see" you on the 26th.

Elisa

[Edited at 2016-02-11 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

mmonfar
mmonfar  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
exposure scenarios Feb 26, 2016

Hi Elisa,

will you talk about exposure scenarios as a part of the MSDS?

Elisa Farina
Elisa Farina  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Italian
+ ...
No exposure scenarios Feb 26, 2016

Hi mmonfar,

thanks for your question.

I'm sorry but no, I won't talk about exposure scenarios. I hope you'll find the other details I'll share with you interesting, too.

Elisa

[Edited at 2016-02-26 12:35 GMT]

Fatima Noronha
Fatima Noronha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Video recording of the session Mar 1, 2016

hello

I am trying to access the video recording of this webminar as I missed the last 40 minutes of it. However the video centre is asking me for a payment (which I already did when I enrolled in the webminar!) . Can you please tell me how can I have access to this resource as the deadline is next friday.

Thank you in advance

Fátima

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating for the EU Industry: Working with Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »