Censorship (Staff: two posts hidden in another forum thread as off-topic)
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 22:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2018

2 posts of mine were hidden (deleted) here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/324353-what_you_are_working_on_something_strange_with_what_proz_shows.html

Post hidden: The author has been asked to edit this post in line
... See more
2 posts of mine were hidden (deleted) here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/324353-what_you_are_working_on_something_strange_with_what_proz_shows.html

Post hidden: The author has been asked to edit this post in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4

I wrote an email to the author and she wrote me to thank for my insights and she was surprised to hear that my posts were hidden and she certainly did not cancel them.

So obviously she did not ask to edit or hide my posts....

This is how censorship is working here.

[Edited at 2018-04-10 11:14 GMT]

UPDATE:

In the removed posts the site staff referred to my posts so the author was me, and they referred to my posts that they asked me edit my posts. I was not asked but my posts were hidden.
So the site staff decided that my posts were not relevant to the topic, meanwhile the topic starter thanked my insights by email.

[Edited at 2018-04-10 11:51 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 10, 2018

[Edited at 2018-04-10 11:48 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Apr 10, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
If I didn't write an email to the topic starter, I would have never figured out that she didn't report my posts, but probably somebody from the site staff decided to delete my posts.

You should have received an e-mail as well, telling you that your posts were hidden (and more or less why). It's unfortunate that you thought that your posts were removed because the original poster had complained about them. It has never occurred to me that anyone receiving such a notice would think that their posts must/might have been removed due to the preference of the original poster.

There is no censorship, though -- some forums are simply more strict about straying from the topic, and the "technical support" forum (i.e. this one) certainly is. So... did you stray from the topic, or were your responses more or less directly related to the topic? And did the e-mail say that you can edit your posts, or were your posts removed permanently?

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The author referred to me - so the site staff deleted my posts Apr 10, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
If I didn't write an email to the topic starter, I would have never figured out that she didn't report my posts, but probably somebody from the site staff decided to delete my posts.

You should have received an e-mail as well, telling you that your posts were hidden (and more or less why). It's unfortunate that you thought that your posts were removed because the original poster had complained about them. It has never occurred to me that anyone receiving such a notice would think that their posts must/might have been removed due to the preference of the original poster.

There is no censorship, though -- some forums are simply more strict about straying from the topic, and the "technical support" forum (i.e. this one) certainly is. So... did you stray from the topic, or were your responses more or less directly related to the topic? And did the e-mail say that you can edit your posts, or were your posts removed permanently?

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your reply.

I have just seen that it said that the it was written "the author has been asked to edit"...
So the author was me and I was asked to edit.
I was not asked to edit, but my posts were hidden.
So basically the site staff decided to delete my posts because they thought my posts were not in line with the site rules.

Anyway, I wrote an email to the original poster (topic starter) and she wrote me she thanked for my insights.
So obviously she didn't think my posts did not match with her topic. Only the site staff thought so.
So basically it is a censorship.

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-04-10 11:51 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Personal views vs. Proz policies Apr 10, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Anyway, I wrote an email to the original poster (topic starter) and she wrote me she thanked for my insights.
So obviously she didn't think my posts did not match with her topic. Only the site staff thought so.

This means that (at least) one Proz staff member has a strong bias against your opinion or you, personally. In other words, the policies in place are not comprehensive/pervasive enough to prevent personal views from influencing staff members' decision-making on behalf of Proz.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:50
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Not really Apr 10, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

You have to remember that Proz.com is a private company, not a government or community organization. As a private company it has the right to make its own rules and terms of service, as well as to say how they are to be interpreted. "Censorship" as generally understood usually refers to governments or the political arena.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We can call it business censorship Apr 10, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

You have to remember that Proz.com is a private company, not a government or community organization. As a private company it has the right to make its own rules and terms of service, as well as to say how they are to be interpreted. "Censorship" as generally understood usually refers to governments or the political arena.

Yes, you are right. But we can call it business censorship.
The site has major problems. It doesn't function properly for many members and there are many security related problems. Since it's a business and since I pay for this site I have the right to know the truth.

The site is

1) either hacked,
2) or some of their servers' are controlled by non-proz related people (I asked in what other countries than the US has proz.com servers and what countries' servers deal with my account - no answer)
or
3) they are testing machine (AI) related algorithms on the site and these are causing major security and function related issues for many members

[Edited at 2018-04-10 13:02 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A coincide or a direct hit? Apr 10, 2018

I was mentioning a hacking option before, my posts were not deleted, I was mentioning the server thing, my posts were not deleted and now when I mentioned the machine (AI) related algorithms my posts were deleted ...

Maybe it's a coincidence but who knows?

I am just trying to figure out why the site has so many functional and security related issues.
And many members are speaking about that this silence is very fishy....

[Edited at 2018-04-10 13:06 GMT]

Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Katalin, your insights were and are really helpfull Apr 10, 2018

Dear Katalin, I take this occasion to thank you again for your insights, very helpfull indeed.

Sabrina

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Sabrina Apr 10, 2018

Sabrina Bruna wrote:

Dear Katalin, I take this occasion to thank you again for your insights, very helpfull indeed.

Sabrina

I just know from my own experiences how frustrating it can be when you pay for a site, and things are not working properly or in my case major security related issues are happening day by day.

Thank you for your concern and I really hope your problem will be solved soon.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If I opened my mouth .... whoo-hoo :) Apr 10, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

This means that (at least) one Proz staff member has a strong bias against your opinion or you, personally. In other words, the policies in place are not comprehensive/pervasive enough to prevent personal views from influencing staff members' decision-making on behalf of Proz.

Once upon a time this site was great, there are so many great things, functions, options etc. and the major community is great too but something is missing: it is connected with morals and ethics.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:50
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com is not a free speech zone Apr 10, 2018

The site, and its forums, are governed by rules (https://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=forum ) and a scope (https://www.proz.com/scope ). So, simply put, it is not a free speech zone, not a place where one can say absolutely anything about anything.

Katalin, the t
... See more
The site, and its forums, are governed by rules (https://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=forum ) and a scope (https://www.proz.com/scope ). So, simply put, it is not a free speech zone, not a place where one can say absolutely anything about anything.

Katalin, the two posts I see hidden were hidden correctly under https://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4 . They were de-vetted to allow you to edit and bring them within the lines of site rules if you wish. Posts which are de-vetted like that and are not edited in a reasonable amount of time or otherwise brought in line with site rules are hidden.

In addition, some of the conclusions I see drawn in your post here and in your posts in the other thread with regards to the security of the site (not to mention the intentions of site staff) are rather serious and incorrect, and it would be irresponsible to propagate these kinds of suppositions. I will ask you to refrain from continuing to do so on the forums. I am closing this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Censorship (Staff: two posts hidden in another forum thread as off-topic)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »