Disturbing ProZ profile visitors
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Feb 3, 2018

Hello,

I have been getting weird visits on my ProZ profile lately.

Before I open a support ticket, is anybody else experiencing this?

latest ProZ visits

Thanks,

Jean

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Maybe you have missed this one Feb 3, 2018

See this thread:

https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/322087-huge_number_of_profile_visits_but_a_few_stand_out_should_i_be_concerned.html

Also I figured out that if I go to the old version of my profile Settings -> Manage apps then on the top beside my name somebody changed my ava
... See more
See this thread:

https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/322087-huge_number_of_profile_visits_but_a_few_stand_out_should_i_be_concerned.html

Also I figured out that if I go to the old version of my profile Settings -> Manage apps then on the top beside my name somebody changed my availability to not immediately available and it says I was logged in with an admin router ip address 60 days ago. Sent a support ticket and I received this message from the site staff:

"Last login to your account 60 days 17h 22m ago from 192.168.1.1." is stuck in the same place for every site user, when using pages with the old olive green design."

Back a few days ago I changed my availability there to grey but today when I opened it, my availability is set as red again. No need to be a rocket scientist to see that something is not right ....
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Same here Feb 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

And it's not the first time either... Maybe it's a crawler crawling from page to page, but in that case, it would be nice if there was a regularly updated filter to filter out "non human visitors" (under "Search engine" or elsewhere).

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 3, 2018

Thank you, Katalin, I had somehow missed that.

I thought the availability status was set in the Calendar, though.

Mirko, I don’t think they are crawlers, but they are certainly not human visits. Maybe it is related to some kind of brute force attack on ProZ logins.

Anyway, apart from choosing a secure password, or filtering the related IPs, I guess there is little I can do on my end.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Calendar settings and sessions Feb 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Thank you, Katalin, I had somehow missed that.

I thought the availability status was set in the Calendar, though.

Mirko, I don’t think they are crawlers, but they are certainly not human visits. Maybe it is related to some kind of brute force attack on ProZ logins.

Anyway, apart from choosing a secure password, or filtering the related IPs, I guess there is little I can do on my end.

Hi Jean,

You can set the calendar also if you put the mouse over the circle (grey, red green) beside your name/photo.

If you go to Settings (between Visitors and Profile updater menu tabs) and you go down in the menu -> Other settings -> to Manage apps.

What do you see on that particular page if you put the mouse over your name?
If you put the mouse on your name on that particular page there and go down everybody (according to the site staff) should see this weird admin router ip loggin 60 days ago. But even if this happened 60 days ago who set my availability to red/partially available again since 2 days?
For example on this page (I mean on this forum page) when I do the same I get that last login on this device 36 days ago meanwhile I logged in today.

Filtering the IPs in your visitor tab means that the visits are hidden in front of you, but they are still there you just don't see those ips that you filtered. But they are still able to visit.

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-02-03 08:56 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see the (red) light Feb 3, 2018

In Other Settings > Manage apps, the availability indicator is red (and not gray, as it appears on the current version of ProZ.) During weekdays, the status is set correctly, though.

I have set myself as unavaillable on weekends, so red is the color I would expect today.

Also, when I click on the Details link after the "Last to your account … 192.168.1.1", I see my actual public IP visits, so all is good on that front.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2018
... See more
In Other Settings > Manage apps, the availability indicator is red (and not gray, as it appears on the current version of ProZ.) During weekdays, the status is set correctly, though.

I have set myself as unavaillable on weekends, so red is the color I would expect today.

Also, when I click on the Details link after the "Last to your account … 192.168.1.1", I see my actual public IP visits, so all is good on that front.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2018-02-03 08:59 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Of course Feb 3, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Filtering the IPs in your visitor tab means that the visits are hidden in front of you, but they are still there you just don't see those ips that you filtered. But they are still able to visit.

Of course, and that's why we a "Visitors" tab and a "Search engine" tab, so that visits from real people vs. automated crawlers get sorted accordingly. If they all end up in the "Visitors/Visits" tab, then its usefulness is inherently diminished.

Also, about filtering vs. blocking: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/317852-how_to_block.html

P.S. This topic has been brought up several times, from different users, yet site staff has hastily dismissed or ignored it completely it most of the time, so I guess it is far from being a priority or however something to "fix" for ProZ...

[Edited at 2018-02-03 09:04 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not for me Feb 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2018-02-03 08:59 GMT]

For me this is not the case: I NEVER set my availability. Except now I set it to green and see what happens.
And when I figured this out some days ago, I set it back to grey and today my availability is shown as red again. This is a "RED light" for me (meaning that something is not right)! And if I add that I don't get direct emails from clients via proz any more and I'm not the only member) in spite of many outsourcer and some end client visitors, then you might draw a conclusion....

[Edited at 2018-02-03 14:26 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is even more weird Feb 3, 2018

When I click on the red circle it says: calendar not set.
Still I can see the red circle. Do clients see that I'm not available? Since how long?

But logging with this 192.168.1.1 admin router ip to every single profiles...
If things worked perfectly otherwise and if I received as many direct emails (not those tender type of) as I used to I would say this might be a bug ....
On the other side: you can see that the numbers of jobs in the job board have not doubled
... See more
When I click on the red circle it says: calendar not set.
Still I can see the red circle. Do clients see that I'm not available? Since how long?

But logging with this 192.168.1.1 admin router ip to every single profiles...
If things worked perfectly otherwise and if I received as many direct emails (not those tender type of) as I used to I would say this might be a bug ....
On the other side: you can see that the numbers of jobs in the job board have not doubled but tripled ...

And the other day I checked the directory in a different browser (just to test it) and when I clicked on the name of a colleague to send email from the directory I was directed back to the main directory page...

I don't know what is going on ....

[Edited at 2018-02-03 09:19 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same here Feb 3, 2018

Just a portion of my visitors tab

Capture

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I too had very strange visitors Feb 3, 2018

that I have filtered in the meantime so I don't see them anymore and can't report them here.
'
Furthermore, I had to login several times the last days while normally I never logout from ProZ.

Eleonora_P
Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here Feb 3, 2018

The same thing is happening to me, too and also happened a couple of weeks ago.
It's undoubtedly weird...

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
See this thread Feb 3, 2018

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_bugs/315332-required_to_log_in_every_session.html

I also opened a support ticket back in June where I wrote:

"This weird logging out happened from 1 minute to another. A minute I was logged in, then on the same page I wanted to open something and I was not logged in any more. There was
... See more
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_bugs/315332-required_to_log_in_every_session.html

I also opened a support ticket back in June where I wrote:

"This weird logging out happened from 1 minute to another. A minute I was logged in, then on the same page I wanted to open something and I was not logged in any more. There was about a minute difference between the 2. Cookies are enabled and I didn't delete my cookies before or when this weird logging out happened. After this weird logging out I did delete all cookies and also changed my proz password to be sure. Then I logged in with the new password and everything seemed fine for 15-20 mins but again when I tried to use the site I got logged out in the same page that was open a minute ago.
I didn't change anything in my browser. And also this weird logging out happened only yesterday, today I didn't experience it. "

This stopped for me in June.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:28
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello,

latest ProZ visits

Thanks,

Jean

Yes, I have been getting very strange visits from spam sites and link farms, with no link on the sending site to my profile that I can see. Not sure what's going on.

Magda P.
Magda P.  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Me too Feb 5, 2018

I have been getting lots of visits from weird sites too. I hope we have some feedback on this.
@Jean, did you submit a ticket? What did they say?
Thank you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disturbing ProZ profile visitors

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »