Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can we have an opt-out/deletion for ProzPay on our profiles?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2019

This is very misleading.

Delete or opt-out

It sounds like as if the user would accept and use ProzPay.
We have no choice to delete/opt-out ProzPay shown on our profiles.

Can we have an option not to show this ProzPay option if we don't want to use it?

Daniela Zambrini
Arabic & More
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas Pfann
Francesca Bernardis
Bernhard Sulzer
Angie Garbarino

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree Sep 24, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
It sounds like as if the user would accept and use ProzPay. Can we have an option not to show this ProzPay option if we don't want to use it?

I agree. The link is actually meant for the translator himself (he clicks the link if he wants to generate a payment request that he can send to his client), and should therefore not appear on the public profile page. I know clients can also use the link if they want to generate a payment request so that they can pay the translator, but the "payment request" is nothing more than an e-mail with ProZ.com's banking details in it, so the client has to pay money into ProZ.com's bank account manually anyway (and I mean literally manually). There is zero convenience for clients in using ProZpay, so why would any client want to generate a payment request himself?

(Sorry about the test payment, Katalin, but I wanted to see whether it's really that easy to send you USD 0.01... well, it isn't.)

Added: Katalin showed me the e-mail she received after I tried to pay her USD 0.01. It says:

Money is on the way from ProZ*Pay
A ProZ.com user, [name], has settled a payment to you via ProZ*Pay™.
This means you can withdraw your funds after it is funded ...

"has settled a payment to you" makes it sound as if money has been paid. Well, I would have paid it, if paying was as easy as clicking a button. But in actual fact I would have to transfer the USD 0.01 to ProZ.com's US bank account manually by way of a bank transfer physically at my own bank's local branch, and of course pay the accompanying transfer fees (even though the ProZpay screens create the impression that it will be free to transfer USD 0.01).

[Edited at 2019-09-24 09:54 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is very disturbing Sep 24, 2019

Hi Samuel,

I received an email that I received money. This is very scary...
Now I have a label on the top right: Your earnings: 0.01!!
How can I delete this now??

I would never use this service.

Amount paid: 0.01 USD
Fee: 5% (0 USD is passed to you)

So it is extremely worrying.
Also it says something about 2 email addresses.

I gave 1 email address on my official proz.com.
So what is the othe
... See more
Hi Samuel,

I received an email that I received money. This is very scary...
How can I delete this now??

I would never use this service.

Amount paid: 0.01 USD
Fee: 5% (0 USD is passed to you)

So it is extremely worrying.
Also it says something about 2 email addresses.

I gave 1 email address on my official proz.com.
So what is the other email address????

"Associate additional email addresses with your ProZ.com profile (in addition to the two main contact emails used for your account). "

Please, a site staff should help to delete this earning and the ProzPay from my profile asap!!
And I want to know why does it say about 2 main email addresses when I use only 1 to my proz account!!!!

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2019-09-24 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Sep 24, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

I don't see it, so I guess this label occurs only on the translator's own view, not on the visitor view.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think actually due to money laundering this is very disturbing and illegal Sep 24, 2019

This should be banned. ASAP.

Delete asap

Angie Garbarino

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:36
Danish to English
+ ...
Totally unacceptable Sep 24, 2019

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. It is completely unacceptable that the site forces us to accept payments through their channel against our will. There is no opt-out in the profile, and the site shouldn't automatically opt anyone in.

Can we please get this stopped immediately.

Katalin Szilárd
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Totally agree with all the objections Sep 24, 2019

I have just checked my profile. Last time I looked this 'pay through ProZ.com' was not there. I certainly do not want to be paid though ProZ. It was not referred to last time I renewed my subscription. I did not opt for it. Please, site operators, remove this without delay. I used to think of Proz.com as a safety net, to check out scams and get an idea of the credibilty of agencies, but this turns the site into a definite risk. This payment message must be removed for the safety of m... See more
I have just checked my profile. Last time I looked this 'pay through ProZ.com' was not there. I certainly do not want to be paid though ProZ. It was not referred to last time I renewed my subscription. I did not opt for it. Please, site operators, remove this without delay. I used to think of Proz.com as a safety net, to check out scams and get an idea of the credibilty of agencies, but this turns the site into a definite risk. This payment message must be removed for the safety of members.Collapse

Katalin Szilárd

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two main contact emails Sep 24, 2019

I'd also like to get a clarification about this from a site staff:

Two main contact emails

It can be reached from:

Profile settings -> Payment preferences

Please provide your information to receive payments from ProZ*Pay.

Click here to view/edit your payment preferences.

Why does it say two main contact emails?
In the account settings I added 1 (which is primary) contact email on my proz account.

[Edited at 2019-09-24 11:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-09-24 13:00 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Sep 24, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
It can be reached from:
Profile settings -> Payment preferences

I don't see that. Perhaps it is a message that comes up when someone tries to send you money. Why not try sending me USD 0.01? Then we'll see.

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Local time: 23:36
SITE STAFF
Option not to show ProZ*Pay in your profile Sep 24, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Can we have an option not to show this ProzPay option if we don't want to use it?

Hi Katalin,

Thank you for opening this forum topic. There have been several improvements to ProZ*Pay and some of the issues brought up here have been a part of the service for a while. I will read and try to respond to concerns here today.

That link should be something we can adjust for your profile.

Mike

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
ProZ*Pay and site risk Sep 24, 2019

Anne Maclennan wrote:

I used to think of Proz.com as a safety net, to check out scams and get an idea of the credibilty of agencies, but this turns the site into a definite risk. This payment message must be removed for the safety of members.

Hi Anne,

I would like to better understand your concern since ProZ*Pay is meant to do the opposite on your behalf. If the payment goes through ProZ*Pay, there should not be risk to you as it would be transferred to your bank, PayPal or other payment method on your request. None of those are shown to the payer or site user.

Mike

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for checking it, Mike Sep 24, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Hi Katalin,

Thank you for opening this forum topic. There have been several improvements to ProZ*Pay and some of the issues brought up here have been a part of the service for a while. I will read and try to respond to concerns here today.

That link should be something we can adjust for your profile.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you.
The first what we ask: to have an option whether we want to show ProzPay on our profile or not.
So there should be an opt-out button. Many of us don't want to use this service.
Actually any shown payment methods should be totally optional. So there should be an opt-out button for the payment methods as well.
If someone wants to fill out then it's OK, if not then payment methods should not be shown on the profile at all.

My personal request: to delete that 0.01 earning and close my ProzPay.
And then I'd like to opt-out this service.

Bests,
Katalin

Thomas T. Frost

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Working on adjustments Sep 24, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

The first what we ask: to have an option whether we want to show ProzPay on our profile or not.
Actually any shown payment methods should be totally optional. So there should be an opt-out button for the payment methods as well.

We are working to adjust this today based on your feedback. I will try to update this post with any changes.

UPDATE: If you do not have active payment preferences set for ProZ*Pay, no link will appear on your profile. There should be no more link appearing on your profile.

UPDATE: There is now a link to hide ProZ*Pay from the profile if you do not want this as a way for an outsourcer to pay quickly. Thank you again for the conversation. This can be done when viewing the profile and through the Financial tab of your profile updater.

Mike

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Individual businesses Sep 24, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:(a

Hi Anne,

I would like to better understand your concern since ProZ*Pay is meant to do the opposite on your behalf. If the payment goes through ProZ*Pay, there should not be risk to you as it would be transferred to your bank, PayPal or other payment method on your request. None of those are shown to the payer or site user.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Proz.com should understand that we (the user and proz.com) are not "married".
And we are not your employees either.

Our "cash/bank account" are not common.
Our businesses are not common.

Not having an opt-out on payment methods and on ProzPay is very disturbing and misleading.
Furthermore many of us don't want their profiles to be used as a "money channel" (taking into account previous activities on our profiles in the past).

So payment methods (all of them) should be shown only when the user wants to show them.
An opt-out button should be added to ProzPay and all payment methods.

Bests,
Katalin

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:36
Danish to English
+ ...
Just give us an option not to use it Sep 24, 2019

Mike Donlin wrote:

Mike

Mike, we should not have to justify to you why we use some payment options and not others. That is a business decision that belongs to us, not you. You are not running our businesses and you are not a decision maker in them. You are in no place to ram a payment option of your choice down our throats without our individual approval and without even giving us an option to decline.

You are clearly overstepping your authority here.

I will not explain in detail how I manage payments. Suffice it to say that I offer many channels and agree with each client how best to handle payment while minimising fees. I want and need to remain in control of that.

If I needed a better payment solution in some cases, I would certainly not rule out looking at Proz Pay, but when it was launched, there was virtually no information about how it works (who holds the money, how is it guaranteed, which channels do you use, how are the fees and commissions calculated, how does the client pay into it, how do we get money out of it, etc.), and I'm not going to put my money through a black-box system. Before I start using a payment system, I sit down and read about it and analyse if it meets my needs or not.

Please provide an option for opting out of it ASAP.

Sorry to be so curt, but it was an outrageous decision to just stuff it into everybody's profiles without notification and without approval.

[Edited at 2019-09-24 14:39 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Francesca Bernardis
Philip Lees
texjax DDS PhD

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we have an opt-out/deletion for ProzPay on our profiles?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »