Carole Wolfe
Carole Wolfe  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Same problem Dec 9, 2018

On November 21st, I received four of them. Two of those have "Kudoz (asked)" under the "Viewed" heading. I think I'll try to use the filter to prevent future ones.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Filtering Dec 9, 2018

Carole Wolfe wrote:

On November 21st, I received four of them. Two of those have "Kudoz (asked)" under the "Viewed" heading. I think I'll try to use the filter to prevent future ones.

Hi Carole,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't know whether you are aware of that the Filter function doesn't prevent visits, it just prevents you to see them in the Visitors' tab. Actually if you use Filter you get a little distorted picture of your profile visitors.

Bests,
Katalin

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:18
English to Russian
+ ...
Well, what's the problem? Dec 9, 2018

You have some visitors (probably some sort of robots, or something).

And you are not able to ban certain visitors from visiting your profile, since you don't have access to .htaccess file at proz.com server.

You can just watch this happening.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Happening... Dec 9, 2018

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

You have some visitors (probably some sort of robots, or something).

And you are not able to ban certain visitors from visiting your profile, since you don't have access to .htaccess file at proz.com server.

You can just watch this happening.

Hi Vadim,

Thank you for the reply.

Well, the problem is that when you see something this then this is not normal. These visits are not just every now and then but when this happens I almost don't get any other visitors.

+
On the 2nd of December I received a visitor where no country, no city nothing was shown (support ticket sent, it was sent to dev. team). After the 2nd of December I received more and more of these Chinese bot visitors.

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-12-09 11:50 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Interspersed Dec 9, 2018

I have 5 of those (out of 20) in the first tab, 8 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 0 in the 4th. But I also have some Guandongs and Shanghais. Wanna trade?

P.S. In your screenshot you have 10 pages of results below the table in the Visitors tab, but in mine I only have 4...

[Edited at 2018-12-09 12:14 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trade? No, thanks. I rather want to send these bots back to the sender lol Dec 9, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I have 5 of those (out of 20) in the first tab, 8 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 0 in the 4th. But I also have some Guandongs and Shanghais. Wanna trade?

P.S. In your screenshot you have 10 pages of results below the table in the Visitors tab, but in mine I only have 4...

[Edited at 2018-12-09 12:14 GMT]

Hi Mirko,

No trade, thank you. I want real visitors with real job offers (and not the "send your best rate" ones).)
I have 10 pages results because the last 3-4 days' pages contain almost nothing else just these bot visitors..

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-12-09 12:22 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Also interspersed Dec 9, 2018

I have 6 of those in the 1st tab, 1 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th, 2 in the 5th and I also have a few Guandongs and Shanghais. I've no problem with that...

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
This is how search engines work Dec 10, 2018

They have 'spiders' who follow different links out there, and the only way to make them stop seeing your profile is to have access to server(s) of proz.com, telling them to make your page 'invisible' to certain types of visitors.

This is the only way out. Otherwise, you have no control over who can visit your proz.com page.
Plus, as this new GDPR is now widely accepted, proz.com has stopped showing IPs of visitors.

I do understand that this is very annoying - see
... See more
They have 'spiders' who follow different links out there, and the only way to make them stop seeing your profile is to have access to server(s) of proz.com, telling them to make your page 'invisible' to certain types of visitors.

This is the only way out. Otherwise, you have no control over who can visit your proz.com page.
Plus, as this new GDPR is now widely accepted, proz.com has stopped showing IPs of visitors.

I do understand that this is very annoying - seeing some suspicious visitis from robotic-like visitors, but , once again, you can`t stop it, unless you have login and password to the ftp of proz.com.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Filter not working anymore? Dec 10, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Carole Wolfe wrote:

I don't know whether you are aware of that the Filter function doesn't prevent visits, it just prevents you to see them in the Visitors' tab. Actually if you use Filter you get a little distorted picture of your profile visitors.

Just tried to "filter" a few of those Beijings, but... it doesn't work... It seems the new "pseudonymized" IPs prevent the filter from working... Maybe proz just implemented the code strictly necessary to comply with the GDPR, but "forgot" to adapt the rest of what was linked to it?

At any rate, I think that theoretically, the filter actually helped you to get a less "distorted picture of your profile visitors", as you could (at least try to) exclude non-human visitors...

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Problem Dec 10, 2018

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

Well, what's the problem?

Ok, maybe it's not such a huge problem, but if in a single month I got 10 pages of visitors (10*20=200) which are for the most part crawlers, I wouldn't be particularly happy, also considering that basically makes the whole "visitors" feature even more useless (after the GDPR-related changes)...

Katalin Szilárd
B D Finch

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Why? Dec 10, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I wouldn't be particularly happy

Well, why, if I may?

Your page is being registered by different search engines with the help of such crawlers, and this can potentially generate more clients.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Knowing who visits your profile Dec 10, 2018

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I wouldn't be particularly happy

Well, why, if I may?

Your page is being registered by different search engines with the help of such crawlers, and this can potentially generate more clients.

Maybe it "can potentially generate more clients" asking you for your best rates, coming back to you with 1/3 of what you asked, or just straight out offering you peanuts...

As to why, because it engulfs "real" visitors in an ocean of useless crawler visits, thus making any analysis of who visited what part(s) of your profile and from where, simply too time consuming.

Katalin Szilárd

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
meaningless vs meaningful info Dec 10, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

As to why, because it engulfs "real" visitors in an ocean of useless crawler visits, thus making any analysis of who visited what part(s) of your profile and from where, simply too time consuming.

Exactly! I have noticed that ever since the IP data has become invisible:

1) I am receiving a flood of meaningless crawler visits from China
2) I am receiving less and less meaningful visits to my profile from "human visitors", be they logged in outsourcers via the internal directory or simply potential direct clients who had (up to a few months ago, at least) always managed to find me using the profile keywords.

Point 2) is definitely a trend that is worsening each day. I know my average statistics very well, I check my visitor page daily, I have been a member for many years and I can definitely tell the difference. Especially because this lack of relevant visits has led to an ever dwindling number of requests for information/quotes/contact, etc.

I have no knowledge of how search algorythms work but I can tell for sure that whatever it is, it's not working as it should, at least not for me. I am happy to pay my membership subscription to support the tech experts who do have the knowledge, however I would definitely appreciate seeing different results.

Katalin Szilárd

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone else experiencing this?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »