Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:27
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 24, 2018

I really hope this is just a joke.

Viewer ID

Is this a bug now or is this a deliberate change?

[Edited at 2018-05-24 06:34 GMT]

Iris Schmerda
Iris Schmerda  Identity Verified
France
Member (2016)
French to German
+ ...
Same here May 24, 2018

I see the same strange numbers.
Hope this is just a bug!

Giovanna Gatti

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do hope so May 24, 2018

Iris Schmerda wrote:

I see the same strange numbers.
Hope this is just a bug!

I really hope that this is just a bug and I think many members will agree.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
GDPR May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Viewer ID

Maybe an extreme implementation of the new GDPR...

P.L.F. Persio

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That would be a really bad joke :) May 24, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Viewer ID

Maybe an extreme implementation of the new GDPR...

When at the same time there is an option to log on with your FB, LinkedIn or Google account to your proz account and when there are social media share buttons ....

Actually GDPR should protect us and that's what this function did.
So let's hope this is just a bug.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do all members have codes now instead of ips? May 24, 2018

Actually I'm wondering whether all members have these codes instead of Ips?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
GDPR, probably May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

IANAL, but AFAIK, dynamic IP addresses are considered personal data under GDPR. I'm not sure about static ones.

Anyway, the web site itself (i.e. the guys that keep ProZ.com running behind the scenes) may store IP addresses inasfar as it is necessary for running the web site (e.g. spam prevention), but they can't reveal those logged IP addresses to any of its customers (i.e. us) unless visitors actually consented to that.

I recently received an e-mail from one of my domain registrars that post-GDPR they can no longer show my WHOIS data to the public (or anyone, in fact) unless I consented to it.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The good thing is... May 24, 2018

that agencies that used to come out of the blue asking for my bank information before we even worked on 1 project together will keep quiet now.

Giovanna Gatti

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
LIke May 24, 2018

Lingua 5B wrote:

that agencies that used to come out of the blue asking for my bank information before we even worked on 1 project together will keep quiet now.

I would have given a "like" to that post - had the "like" option not disappeared.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This cannot be true May 24, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

IANAL, but AFAIK, dynamic IP addresses are considered personal data under GDPR. I'm not sure about static ones.

Anyway, the web site itself (i.e. the guys that keep ProZ.com running behind the scenes) may store IP addresses inasfar as it is necessary for running the web site (e.g. spam prevention), but they can't reveal those logged IP addresses to any of its customers (i.e. us) unless visitors actually consented to that.

I recently received an e-mail from one of my domain registrars that post-GDPR they can no longer show my WHOIS data to the public (or anyone, in fact) unless I consented to it.

This function protects us against scammmers, and fraudulent outsourcers etc.
This is a major protective function.
How many times we have read that members identified a scammer, a banned outsourcer who tried to use a different identity etc. or for example when there were a lot of visitors from very suspicious ips....

This is a key function on proz.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being alerted by members also helped the site staff May 24, 2018

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/322871-profile_hacked_and_password_changed_while_i_was_online.html

Myself also sent a support ticket in August when I had similar very suspicious ip address visitors and the site staff wrote:

"Most of anonymous visits are part of the
... See more
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/322871-profile_hacked_and_password_changed_while_i_was_online.html

Myself also sent a support ticket in August when I had similar very suspicious ip address visitors and the site staff wrote:

"Most of anonymous visits are part of the Crawler Referrer Spam:"

" I just wanted to say that, after Alexander identified the pattern used by these bots, we are now looking into the possibility to block them from visiting the site altogether. Thank you for your report on these unwanted visitors, it has enabled us to take action to keep them out."

So proz allows a function to connect our social network accounts with our proz.com account (this is totally against privacy even if it's voluntarily optional) but at the same time implements a totally extreme and illogical GDPR policy on ips (a function that actually may protect us against scammers)?

[Edited at 2018-05-24 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
How does this fit in with the Plus Packagae Enhanced Profile Analytics? May 24, 2018

On page https://www.proz.com/profile_visitors

"Are Potential Clients Viewing Your Profile?
Knowing who your visitors are will help you to optimize your profile and attract more clients. The Profile Analytics Overview for Plus Package Subscribers gives you the tools and data to make your profile stand out."

Does this mean that only Plus Subscribers can have access to the klist of vistor ip addresses and locations?

profile_visitors_promo_3

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why do you think that? May 24, 2018

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

On page https://www.proz.com/profile_visitors

"Are Potential Clients Viewing Your Profile?
Knowing who your visitors are will help you to optimize your profile and attract more clients. The Profile Analytics Overview for Plus Package Subscribers gives you the tools and data to make your profile stand out."

Does this mean that only Plus Subscribers can have access to the klist of vistor ip addresses and locations?

profile_visitors_promo_3

Hi Daniela,

Are you a Plus Subscriber?
Does that image show your visitors or is it a stock image of the plus' analytics?
I'm just asking because why do you think Plus Subscribers can see the ips?

Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-05-24 10:46 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
This function protects us against scammmers, and fraudulent outsourcers etc.

Sure, but I assume every IP address is now replaced with a unique visitor ID, which ProZ.com staff can still track back to an IP address. So instead of discovering that a certain IP address had visited your page 100 times, you'll now discover that a certain visitor ID will have visited your page 100 times, and you can still report it to staff.

How many times we have read that members identified a scammer, a banned outsourcer who tried to use a different identity etc. or for example when there were a lot of visitors from very suspicious IPs...

I can't recall even one specific case of that.

Anyway, banned outsourcers are not prevented from visiting your profile page, regardless of their IP address. Banned outsourcers are merely banned from posting jobs. They're not banned from using the rest of the site (e.g. directory searches, personal messages, CV downloading, etc).

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not about banning it's about a possible preventing May 24, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

How many times we have read that members identified a scammer, a banned outsourcer who tried to use a different identity etc. or for example when there were a lot of visitors from very suspicious IPs...

I can't recall even one specific case of that.

I wrote this previously in this thread:

Being alerted by members also helped the site staff 10:43

"Most of anonymous visits are part of the Crawler Referrer Spam:"

" I just wanted to say that, after Alexander identified the pattern used by these bots, we are now looking into the possibility to block them from visiting the site altogether. Thank you for your report on these unwanted visitors, it has enabled us to take action to keep them out."

Samuel Murray wrote:

Anyway, banned outsourcers are not prevented from visiting your profile page, regardless of their IP address. Banned outsourcers are merely banned from posting jobs. They're not banned from using the rest of the site (e.g. directory searches, personal messages, CV downloading, etc).

It's not about banning it's about detecting the possible and/or future fraudulent attempts.
Let me tell you an example.

There was an outsourcer that was banned from proz.com due to not paying. They were connected with another agency (they were the same people), the agency that had no bad ratings wrote me an email concerning a job and due to watching my ip address visitors I was able to identify that these 2 are the same. So identifying the ip address helped me to prevent a scam/fraud.

Nataliia Gorina

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »