Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 05:19
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
IP codes very useful to check for scammers May 26, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

I really hope this is just a joke.

Viewer ID

Is this a bug now or is this a deliberate change?

[Edited at 2018-05-24 06:34 GMT]

Maybe an extreme implementation of the new GDPR...

When at the same time there is an option to log on with your FB, LinkedIn or Google account to your proz account and when there are social media share buttons ....

Actually GDPR should protect us and that's what this function did.
So let's hope this is just a bug.

I always check IP codes ("address" lookup)when I get unsolicited emails for the simple reason that it's one way of checking the writer is in the location where they claim to be. I have spent several weeks reviewing my settings to compy with GDPR and I fail to see how general location (city/country & internet provider) can be construed as being personal data?
Please add at the very least a general geographical location and city for those codes.

Ryan Saxon Montcalm
Ryan Saxon Montcalm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:19
German to English
+ ...
European paranoia May 26, 2018

Just looks like Europeans getting a little more paranoid...

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Paranoid android" May 26, 2018

Ryan Saxon Montcalm wrote:

Just looks like Europeans getting a little more paranoid...

The policy proz is using is a too strict interpretation of the GDPR on ips and a flexible interpretation on social media and sharing privacy policy. Did you know that when you send your " What are you working on now" post it is shared automatically on TM Town site and probably other media? You don't get any notifications about that.

Showing ips were taken away.

The difference between the 2: profit vs. no profit.

There could be an option: a pop-up as Samuel mentioned in another thread, whether the visitor accepts to show his/her ip.

[Edited at 2018-05-27 04:52 GMT]

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TM Town site May 26, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Did you know that when you send your " What are you working on now" post it is shared automatically on TM Town site and probably other media? You don't get any notifications about that.

I did not know that and I did not see it mentioned anywhere... Anyway, I stopped posting in this section as I do not see any added value in it...

However, we need a statement from the site support team regarding showing the country of search in the place of IP if it is not allowed anymore to show IPs.

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
Viewer ID May 27, 2018

The "Visitors" tab is almost useless now. What's the point if I cannot compare IPs in emails and visitors' IPs and see if this is probably the same outsourcer/client? Also, it was very useful to know which countries my visitors are coming from and what kind of offer I could potentially expect.

Małgorzata Śnigurowicz
Małgorzata Śnigurowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Geographical location May 28, 2018

I agree with others. I do not need to see the visitor's IP as much as his/her country. Please consider providing users with this information.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Why? May 28, 2018

I would just like to know why a person contacting me to give me work should want to hide their identity, or any other personal information like the country they are in?

I can't think of any honest reason. If the work they want to outsource to me is confidential, they just have to say so outright and I can reassure them that I treat everything as confidential as a matter of course, or sign an NDA, before seeing the document. Why else would anyone want to hide who they are?
<
... See more
I would just like to know why a person contacting me to give me work should want to hide their identity, or any other personal information like the country they are in?

I can't think of any honest reason. If the work they want to outsource to me is confidential, they just have to say so outright and I can reassure them that I treat everything as confidential as a matter of course, or sign an NDA, before seeing the document. Why else would anyone want to hide who they are?

If there are no legitimate, honest reasons for doing so, could there be a feature to block any messages from people who are not prepared to let me know who they are? Touch wood I have not been scammed yet but reading about Katalin's experiences, I think I would have fallen into her scammer's trap.
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree May 28, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

If there are no legitimate, honest reasons for doing so, could there be a feature to block any messages from people who are not prepared to let me know who they are? Touch wood I have not been scammed yet but reading about Katalin's experiences, I think I would have fallen into her scammer's trap.

I agree with you, Kay. Although I haven't been scammed. I was able to prevent some scams due to identifying ips. I don't say it is a 100% sure method, but as others have written: it may help to prevent some frauds.
Ironically since ips are not shown, I have more Freelancer visitors and more Came from: Other visitors. LOL

[Edited at 2018-05-28 09:37 GMT]

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
IP addresses and GDPR May 28, 2018

I appreciate that Proz.com can no longer provide us with IP addresses, since they are considered digital personal data under the GDPR regulation. However, I have my own WordPress website with an integral analytics feature, and I also use Google Analytics to monitor visitors to my site. Both of those analytics providers are still able, where visitors consent to tracking cookies (and I am finding many are doing so), to provide me as website owner with the country and city of visitors.

... See more
I appreciate that Proz.com can no longer provide us with IP addresses, since they are considered digital personal data under the GDPR regulation. However, I have my own WordPress website with an integral analytics feature, and I also use Google Analytics to monitor visitors to my site. Both of those analytics providers are still able, where visitors consent to tracking cookies (and I am finding many are doing so), to provide me as website owner with the country and city of visitors.

It is enormously helpful to us as translation providers to be able to check whether someone who contacts us via Proz.com is who they say they are. One way of doing that previously was obviously to check the IP address against their claims. I would be grateful if Proz.com would now also consider offering us country and/or city data for those visitors who do consent to tracking cookies. It may well mean far less information is available to us than previously, but it would be much better than nothing.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Is geographic location not linked to any identifiable ID "personal data"? May 28, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

I appreciate that Proz.com can no longer provide us with IP addresses, since they are considered digital personal data under the GDPR regulation.
I would be grateful if Proz.com would now also consider offering us country and/or city data for those visitors who do consent to tracking cookies.

Why would they need permission to show country/city of origin of a visitor, if no personal data of that visitor is shown? You would only know that someone from X visited your profile, without any means whatsoever to identify them (and besides, that was already true for IPs, unless you also happened to be the Internet service provider a given user connected with...).

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
@Mirko May 28, 2018

Exactly, country or city is not digital personal data. There should be no objection under GDPR to providing us with that information.

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Staff response needed May 28, 2018

Would Proz.com staff please respond?

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Still waiting for reply from Staff Jun 3, 2018

Helen Shiner wrote:

Could someone from ProZ.com staff acknowledge our request, please?

One of the most useful features (and one of the reasons for remaining a paying member) is now no help at all.

Can we please have ProZ.com's point of view on the possibility of providing general geographical data (country, region, city) for visitors?

Thank you.

Daniela

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+1 Jun 3, 2018

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

Helen Shiner wrote:

Could someone from ProZ.com staff acknowledge our request, please?

One of the most useful features (and one of the reasons for remaining a paying member) is now no help at all.

Can we please have ProZ.com's point of view on the possibility of providing general geographical data (country, region, city) for visitors?

+1

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:19
SITE STAFF
Showing location is a good idea. It will be added. Jun 4, 2018

Showing the general location in place of the IP address is a good idea, thank you. I'll add this.

Thanks,

Jason

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »