Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?
Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:41
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a Plus Subscriber -- Image taken from promo page May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Hi Daniela,

Are you a Plus Subscriber?
Does that image show your visitors or is it a stock image of the plus' analytics?
I'm just asking because why do you think Plus Subscribers can see the ips?


Bests,
Katalin

[Edited at 2018-05-24 10:46 GMT]


Hi Katalin,

no, I am not a ProZ Plus Subscriber. The image is taken from the link I provided (on your visitor tab there is a link with a green background that says "View Enhanced Profile Analytics - New" and it leads to the page I linked).

I was wondering why it seems to be possible for a Plus SUbscriber to view such info and not for other full members (as it has always been until today). Or maybe the Plus Promo Page has not yet been updated?

For me, the IP search was a valuable tool to understand where visitors came from and I regret that it is no longer possible to view such data.

Ciao,
Daniela


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply, Daniela May 24, 2018

Daniela Zambrini wrote:


Or maybe the Plus Promo Page has not yet been updated?

For me, the IP search was a valuable tool to understand where visitors came from and I regret that it is no longer possible to view such data.

Ciao,
Daniela


Probably the Promo page hasn't been updated yet.
And yes I agree. The ip search was a valuable tool.
I hope the site staff will figure out something to give this function back.


 

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:41
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I hope ... May 24, 2018

... they will not have banned the IP adres in the email header too, when being contacted by anyone via the "Send message" button here on proz. Anyone here who has already tested this and could report it to us? Thanks!

 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Matthias May 24, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:
I hope they will not have banned the IP adres in the e-mail header too, when being contacted by anyone via the "Send message" button here on Proz.com.


1. I don't think the headers of e-mails sent via profile pages ever contained the sender's IP address anyway (they don't now), because the e-mail isn't sent from the visitor's location but from ProZ.com's servers' location.

However, the visitor's IP address has always been mentioned in the body of the e-mail, and it still is. I tested it quickly by sending myself two e-mails via ProZ.com (logged in and not logged in). The sender's IP address is still mentioned in the body of the e-mail.

2. When sending a message via the "Send email" button, whether I'm logged in or not, the web form warns the visitor that their IP address will be included in the mail:

mail sent via proz

As far as I understand, this does not constitute actual consent under GDPR, so this may change once ProZ.com staff realises that they've overlooked this.


[Edited at 2018-05-24 14:39 GMT]


 

Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:41
SITE STAFF
IP addresses no longer shown for privacy (GDPR) May 24, 2018

Hi folks,

As many of you have guessed, IP addresses are no longer disclosed in the profile visitor logs for privacy reasons, and particularly for GDPR compliance. The screenshot showing IP addresses in the analytics tool is out-of-date; I will get that updated.

Visitors' IP addresses are treated as personal data, just like names or home addresses, and therefore they can't be disclosed without permission.

Instead of IP address, a "pseudonymised" identifier
... See more
Hi folks,

As many of you have guessed, IP addresses are no longer disclosed in the profile visitor logs for privacy reasons, and particularly for GDPR compliance. The screenshot showing IP addresses in the analytics tool is out-of-date; I will get that updated.

Visitors' IP addresses are treated as personal data, just like names or home addresses, and therefore they can't be disclosed without permission.

Instead of IP address, a "pseudonymised" identifier is shown. It can identify unique visitors, without disclosing personal data about them. Samuel had it exactly right:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Sure, but I assume every IP address is now replaced with a unique visitor ID, which ProZ.com staff can still track back to an IP address. So instead of discovering that a certain IP address had visited your page 100 times, you'll now discover that a certain visitor ID will have visited your page 100 times, and you can still report it to staff.
directory searches, personal messages, CV downloading, etc).


I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes to some people who relied on that information. I hope it's some consolation to know that your own privacy is being protected by these measures as well. Click here to learn more about the GDPR and ProZ.com.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse


 

Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:41
SITE STAFF
IP address will continue to be shown in profile mail--sender will consent before sending May 24, 2018

Hi Mattias,

The sender's IP address will continue to be disclosed in profile emails.

Samuel, you are right that the notice in the profile mail page needs to be updated to more explicitly get the sender's consent to share email and IP address, before the message is sent. That change will be made ASAP. Thank you!

Best regards,

Jason


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Degree of GDPR usage: flexible vs. extreme May 24, 2018

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi folks,

As many of you have guessed, IP addresses are no longer disclosed in the profile visitor logs for privacy reasons, and particularly for GDPR compliance. The screenshot showing IP addresses in the analytics tool is out-of-date; I will get that updated.

Visitors' IP addresses are treated as personal data, just like names or home addresses, and therefore they can't be disclosed without permission.

Instead of IP address, a "pseudonymised" identifier is shown. It can identify unique visitors, without disclosing personal data about them. Samuel had it exactly right:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Sure, but I assume every IP address is now replaced with a unique visitor ID, which ProZ.com staff can still track back to an IP address. So instead of discovering that a certain IP address had visited your page 100 times, you'll now discover that a certain visitor ID will have visited your page 100 times, and you can still report it to staff.
directory searches, personal messages, CV downloading, etc).


I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes to some people who relied on that information. I hope it's some consolation to know that your own privacy is being protected by these measures as well. Click here to learn more about the GDPR and ProZ.com.

Best regards,

Jason


Hi Jason,

And what about our privacy and protection when we deal with suspicious ips and scammers?
See: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/325574-is_this_for_real_no_ips_are_shown_any_more_but_codes.html#2729939

So proz allows a function to connect our social network accounts with our proz.com account (this is totally against privacy even if it's voluntarily optional) but at the same time implements a totally extreme and illogical GDPR policy on ips (a function that actually may protect us against scammers)?

Allowing connected social network accounts (even if it's optional) on this site has a much bigger (negative) impact on privacy than showing ips. Very flexible on the first one and very extreme on the last one - depending on the interest of the site. Clicks and share bring money. Showing ips for your members don't.

Furthermore showing ips have shown a protective function many times.

Also from marketing point of view: this function (visitor tab) became useless.

Bests,
Katalin



[Edited at 2018-05-24 15:26 GMT]


 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:41
Member
English to Italian
Location May 24, 2018

Jason Grimes wrote:

As many of you have guessed, IP addresses are no longer disclosed in the profile visitor logs for privacy reasons, and particularly for GDPR compliance. The screenshot showing IP addresses in the analytics tool is out-of-date; I will get that updated.

Visitors' IP addresses are treated as personal data, just like names or home addresses, and therefore they can't be disclosed without permission.

Instead of IP address, a "pseudonymised" identifier is shown. It can identify unique visitors, without disclosing personal data about them. Samuel had it exactly right:


Please add at least a location for those "pseudonymised" identifiers, such as general geographical location and city.

IPs seem to be considered "personal data" because they could potentially lead to the identification of a specific user, with the necessary help of the Internet service provider that assigned that IP (which makes the identification impossible unless you're a public authority with a warrant...). However, the same cannot certainly be said about a geographical location (unless it's a street address)...


 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Allowing connected social network accounts (even if it's optional) on this site has a much bigger (negative) impact on privacy than showing IPs.


ProZ.com doesn't allow you access to someone else's social media acccounts (only your own). And now ProZ.com also doesn't allow you access to someone else's IP address. Whether or not allowing us to link to social media accounts is a good thing or a bad thing, it doesn't change the fact: what you're asking for is to view and potentially record (in EU terminology, "process") someone else's IP address, without their consent. And this used to be allowed, and it is no longer allowed.

If you want to discuss the merits of connecting your profile page to social media, start a separate discussion topic about that. This discussion is about IP addresses, and has nothing to do with social media accounts.

Very flexible on the first one and very extreme on the last one...


ProZ.com is equally inflexible on both: you are not allowed to access either without the people's consent.

Furthermore showing ips have shown a protective function many times.


I agree with you. However, the new law is the law now. If you want to gather IP addresses without asking people's consent, you can still do so from your own web server. But if you're simply renting space on someone else's service, you are no longer entitled to that information.


[Edited at 2018-05-24 15:40 GMT]


 

Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not agree with you on this, but agree with you on your other suggestion May 24, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Allowing connected social network accounts (even if it's optional) on this site has a much bigger (negative) impact on privacy than showing IPs.


ProZ.com doesn't allow you access to someone else's social media acccounts (only your own). And now ProZ.com also doesn't allow you access to someone else's IP address. Whether or not allowing us to link to social media accounts is a good thing or a bad thing, it doesn't change the fact: what you're asking for is to view and potentially record (in EU terminology, "process") someone else's IP address, without their consent. And this used to be allowed, and it is no longer allowed.

If you want to discuss the merits of connecting your profile page to social media, start a separate discussion topic about that. This discussion is about IP addresses, and has nothing to do with social media accounts.

Very flexible on the first one and very extreme on the last one...


ProZ.com is equally inflexible on both: you are not allowed to access either without the people's consent.

Furthermore showing ips have shown a protective function many times.


I agree with you. However, the new law is the law now. If you want to gather IP addresses without asking people's consent, you can still do so from your own web server. But if you're simply renting space on someone else's service, you are no longer entitled to that information.


[Edited at 2018-05-24 15:40 GMT]


Hi Samuel,

I could tell you a lot of things what happened against my privacy due to some strange things I experienced on and via this site here but I won't because my posts would be removed either way.

Your idea could be an option: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/325580-add_option_to_present_gdpr_popup_to_profile_visitors.html#2729918

I think members lost a major protective and marketing function and members are not happy with this.
Maybe subscription rates should be lowered as well.

Bests,
Katalin


[Edited at 2018-05-24 15:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-24 15:53 GMT]


 

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:41
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Geographical data would be a great help May 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:


Please add at least a location for those "pseudonymised" identifiers, such as general geographical location and city.

IPs seem to be considered "personal data" because they could potentially lead to the identification of a specific user, with the necessary help of the Internet service provider that assigned that IP (which makes the identification impossible unless you're a public authority with a warrant...). However, the same cannot certainly be said about a geographical location (unless it's a street address)...



Now ..where is that "Like" button?

D


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Gone May 25, 2018

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

Now ..where is that "Like" button?

D


Gone.


 

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:41
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Not gone just moved May 25, 2018

Tom in London

Gone.


The Like and Share buttons haven't been removed entirely, they've just been moved - you'll find them at the top of each forum page, just under the title of each thread.


 

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:41
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I remember the times when May 25, 2018

when I could just click on an IP address there and get the info instantly - the country, etc.

Now, with grades outsourcers can give to a translator, and with this new 'ID of a visitor' feature gone, proz.com is a much less translator-friendly community. Sad.


 

TargamaT team  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 07:41
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
What is the value of "ID of a visitor" May 25, 2018

I do not understand what I can do with the "ID of a visitor", if I can not read information from it why to show it?

Actually, I do not care about the visitor's IP but I am really interested about the visitor's country.

My question is, it also against GPDR to show the country of visitor?


 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this for real? No Ips are shown any more but codes?

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search