Fatima Noronha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:43
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 27, 2018

Hello everyone

I see many people with a nice «Follow me at ProZ» button on their profiles. However, I don't know how this is done. Recently, I upgraded my account and I thought this option would pop up somewhere in my profile settings. But, still, I just got an embedded code to add to my website.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

Fátima

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:43
English to Italian
"Following" Feb 27, 2018

I guess that's because you can't "follow" yourself...

Just try looking at your profile while you're logged out.

Josephine Cassar

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Czech to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 27, 2018

You have a "Follow me" button (just checked).

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
please Feb 27, 2018

don't anyone follow me... I'm paranoid about being stalked!

What on earth do you see anyway if you follow somebody? I don't want people to check out every single post of mine here, or to be able to see what I'm reading ...

Angie Garbarino
Michele Fauble
Christopher Schröder
Jennifer White

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Good question! May 12, 2019

Kay Denney wrote:

don't anyone follow me... I'm paranoid about being stalked!

What on earth do you see anyway if you follow somebody? I don't want people to check out every single post of mine here, or to be able to see what I'm reading ...

Does anybody know what happens if you press the Follow button?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On "Following" May 12, 2019

Fatima Noronha wrote:
I see many people with a nice «Follow me at ProZ» button on their profiles.

1. I have no idea what "Follow" currently does. In the API guide and on the Following settings page, it just says "Stay updated on what other translators are doing on ProZ.com." I believe it has something to do with the new "member dashboard" feature they're trying to roll out. Henry said the following in November 2016:

What happens when you follow someone? This is a new concept at ProZ.com, being released in connection with the Plus package. A soon-to-be-released dashboard includes an activity feed. When someone you follow posts a KudoZ question, organizes a powwow, and so on, notice of that will appear in your feed.

The member dashboard sort of works, but it's still in "demo" or "beta". It's one of those "nice ideas" that currently exists only as a skeleton.

Some aspects of the Follow service are part of the Plus package, but I'm not sure which. I mean, I know that only Plus members can get the Follow web widget, but don't know if non-Plus users can follow others, or be followed by others.

2. If you click that button, then you "follow" that user. Click it again, and you unfollow the user again.

You can see who is following you, and whom you follow, on the Follow page:
https://www.proz.com/follow/

If you're curious about who is following someone else, or whom they follow, simply add their user ID to the URL, e.g.:
https://www.proz.com/follow/1577053

3. You can opt out of the Follow feature altogether:

follow settings proz

4. There does not seem to be an option to force anyone to unfollow you. You have to either allow everyone to follow you, or allow no-one to follow you. Oh, and if you don't allow others to follow you, then you can't follow others either.

But, still, I just got an embedded code to add to my website.

As far as I can tell, the embedded code doesn't have anything to do with the Follow feature per se. Generating a web widget does not enable or disable your Follow service. You are able to create certain web widgets for your web site that allows others to interact with your ProZ.com profile directly from your web site. Currently, there are web widgets for Follow, Save Me (visible only to agencies, I think), and WIWO.

https://www.proz.com/web-widgets/follow

[Edited at 2019-05-12 18:53 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
@Samuel May 12, 2019

Thank you for your excellent reply!

Christine Andersen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

«Follow me at ProZ» button on profile

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »