What is this the top menu for visitors in my profile and what is it good for?
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:32
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 18, 2017

This feature is displayed on my profile page.

image of top menu for visitors on/off

I have no idea what it does, can anbody please enlighten me or tell me where I can find the information about it?

Thanks.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Top menu Apr 18, 2017

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

This feature is displayed on my profile page.

image of top menu for visitors on/off

I have no idea what it does, can anbody please enlighten me or tell me where I can find the information about it?

Thanks.

It just toggles the visibility of the top menu for visitors. That is to say, the green "ribbon" on top of the page with the "Proz" logo and the "Home | Terminology | Jobs & directories" etc. menu. If it's off, visitors won't see it.

Just use "Force visitor view" to see the difference with the option toggled on/off.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Well, well Apr 18, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
It just toggles the visibility of the top menu for visitors. That is to say, the green "ribbon" on top of the page with the "Proz" logo and the "Home | Terminology | Jobs & directories" etc. menu. If it's off, visitors won't see it.

Just use "Force visitor view" to see the difference with the option toggled on/off.

I quite like it without the top bit for visitors. It may discourage those who didn't know about ProZ.com from going off and looking for cheaper alternatives. At least it won't encourage that!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Yes Apr 18, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I quite like it without the top bit for visitors. It may discourage those who didn't know about ProZ.com from going off and looking for cheaper alternatives. At least it won't encourage that!

Indeed. I disabled it a long time ago for that very same reason.

BTW, that's the same reason why some of us 'campaigned' against the links to the directory and external sites at the bottom of our profile pages.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Great idea to show clients the door the minute they arrive, I don't think :(. Apr 18, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
BTW, that's the same reason why some of us 'campaigned' against the links to the directory and external sites at the bottom of our profile pages.

I was with you on that, although maybe that should be "I am with you" as I'm not sure we're quite there yet. But I didn't know this other feature existed.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, I got it Apr 18, 2017

Good feature. Thank you all for your help.
I'll turn it off right now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is this the top menu for visitors in my profile and what is it good for?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »