Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 1, 2017

Dear Proz members,

Do you also have such a Proz.com javascript third party application?
I disconnected it but after disconnection I found it again.
Do you also have it?

Proz javascript third party

Profile -> Settings -> Manage apps

What is the function of it?

Best regards,
Katalin

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
ProZ functionality? Feb 1, 2017

My wild guess is that it's a mechanic behind availability calendar and the like.
However, this app isn't present in my profile, so it may be wrong.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer Feb 1, 2017

Hi Aleksandra,

Thank you for your answer.
I don't use the calendar feature. So I don't think it has to do with the calendar.
I'm wondering about who else has this third party application on his/her profile?
Because I didn't add it to my profile.

Katalin

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Japanese to English
+ ...
There definitely is something Feb 1, 2017

Now I decided to look at your profile and this popped up.
Снимок
Maybe it is something about various badges in your profile? For example, the first screenshot is with Javascript off
Снимок2
the second with Javascript on.
Снимок3

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was thinking about that as well, but... Feb 1, 2017

Thank you Aleksandra for pointing this out. I thought about that and so I disabled that javascript on my profile.
Still I had this proz.com javascript in manage apps.
Plus why would it be called Proz.com javascript by Proz.com [email protected] if it was "my" javascript within my About me section?

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Japanese to English
+ ...
Because... Feb 1, 2017

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Plus why would it be called Proz.com javascript by Proz.com [email protected] if it was "my" javascript within my About me section?

...your profile is on ProZ, right? You are using this site's features and mechanics, it is the code of the site that allows buttons like that to appear, and this is performed through this app.
For further information, however, I recommend you to contact support directly. Also, if you do not want the app to be there, you should probably disable and delete all dynamic content in your profile.

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems it has nothing to do with users' added javascripts in the 'About me' section Feb 1, 2017

Aleksandra Muraviova wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

...your profile is on ProZ, right? You are using this site's features and mechanics, it is the code of the site that allows buttons like that to appear, and this is performed through this app.
For further information, however, I recommend you to contact support directly. Also, if you do not want the app to be there, you should probably disable and delete all dynamic content in your profile.

Thank you Aleksandra for your reply. I have just asked members who also have javascript enabled in the About me section and they don't have this javascript mentioned in their profiles.

[Edited at 2017-02-01 17:10 GMT]

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Removed from third-party page to avoid confusion Feb 1, 2017

Dear Katalin,

My apologies for the confusion here. The "ProZ.com Javascript" app refers to javascript widgets developed and maintained by ProZ.com on the ProZ.com website which use the API. An example of such a widget, in your case, would be the activity feed on the member dashboard: http://www.proz.com/?sp=member_dashboard

As this may not be considered a "third-party"
... See more
Dear Katalin,

My apologies for the confusion here. The "ProZ.com Javascript" app refers to javascript widgets developed and maintained by ProZ.com on the ProZ.com website which use the API. An example of such a widget, in your case, would be the activity feed on the member dashboard: http://www.proz.com/?sp=member_dashboard

As this may not be considered a "third-party" application, mention of the ProZ.com Javascript app has been removed from that page in order to avoid any confusion.

I hope this explains, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Maria
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the answer Feb 2, 2017

Maria Kopnitsky wrote:

Dear Katalin,

As this may not be considered a "third-party" application, mention of the ProZ.com Javascript app has been removed from that page in order to avoid any confusion.

I hope this explains, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Maria

Dear Maria,

Thank you for the feedback concerning this issue.

I have found this now: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/308894-plus_features_website_widgets_social_networking.html

It says:

"What happens when you follow someone? This is a new concept at ProZ.com, being released in connection with the Plus package. A soon-to-be-released dashboard (preview: http://www.proz.com/?sp=member_dashboard ) includes an activity feed. When someone you follow posts a KudoZ question, organizes a powwow, and so on, notice of that will appear in your feed."

When the follow option was added on proz.com I immediately opted it out.
So was this third party javascript added by proz.com a kind of follow my activity feed even though I opted out the follow/and to be followed feature?

Best regards,
Katalin

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I confirm that you are opted out of that feature Feb 2, 2017

Dear Katalin,

I had missed that you had already opted out of the Follow feature, sorry about that. I confirm that you have indeed been opted out of it. The Javascript app you saw was certainly not intended to keep you from being able to opt out of that feature. The app simply refers to Javascript code used in several ProZ.com site features, and has been removed from the site's list of third-party apps to avoid this type of confusion.

Best regards,

Maria

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Maria Feb 2, 2017

Thank you for removing it.
Would you mind letting me know what was the function of that javascript?
Because I found it some weeks ago, and I disconnected it, and then it appeared and it was enabled again.
I understand that now it is removed, but what was the function of that javascript on my profile?

Best regards,
Katalin

Sasha Terehov
Sasha Terehov
United States
Local time: 08:23
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It was Skype Jan 30, 2018

Together with Catalin, we found that Skype inserts this script automatically to create interactive buttons.

We managed to disable it by moving through text with arrow keys and, while standing near the script icon, delete it as a usual letter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody has any idea what is this? Proz.com javascript third party application

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »