Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it wise to include your CV in your profile?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
May 14, 2015

Until about 5 minutes ago, in my profile there was a link to my CV. I thought it was safe to do this, because my CV was a PDF. But I've just received a polite email from an agency in Spain asking me if they could use my CV for a tender bid for an EU translating contract.

I appreciate their politeness, but never having worked with them before, I politely asked them not to use my CV. I have now hidden my CV in my profile, and have changed the wording in my description of myself inviti
... See more
Until about 5 minutes ago, in my profile there was a link to my CV. I thought it was safe to do this, because my CV was a PDF. But I've just received a polite email from an agency in Spain asking me if they could use my CV for a tender bid for an EU translating contract.

I appreciate their politeness, but never having worked with them before, I politely asked them not to use my CV. I have now hidden my CV in my profile, and have changed the wording in my description of myself inviting anyone who wants my CV to ask for it by email.

But I'm left wondering how many other people have downloaded my CV and used it for purposes that I did not authorise.

[Edited at 2015-05-14 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

ELISABETH Sareussen
YANNICK JOEL Atambona

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same thoughts May 14, 2015

Already done it some time ago.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden or removed? May 14, 2015

Radian Yazynin wrote:

Already done it some time ago.

Hi Radian

Did you hide it, or did you completely remove it?

If I remove my CV will my profile show as not being 100% complete? I believe 100% completeness is important for search engines.

[Edited at 2015-05-14 13:48 GMT]

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
No. Of course not. May 14, 2015

Let's hope everybody knows about this:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/

Speaking for myself, my cv has been sold a long time ago (before we had internet), as a part of a 'translators package'. Those people were making money with my personal details.

Since then, I do not have a cv anymore, only a small PDF page with my areas of specialization and rates and a very nice
... See more
Let's hope everybody knows about this:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/

Speaking for myself, my cv has been sold a long time ago (before we had internet), as a part of a 'translators package'. Those people were making money with my personal details.

Since then, I do not have a cv anymore, only a small PDF page with my areas of specialization and rates and a very nice picture of a landscape.

This is also the reason why I have an empty proz profile.
Collapse

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Search engines May 14, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

If I remove my CV will my profile show as not being 100% complete? I believe that's important for search engines.

[Edited at 2015-05-14 13:07 GMT]

Search engines such take 3-4 weeks or more to erase or overrride your details. If you want to do it faster, you'll have to contact Google itself. There is a page for doing so on the Google website.

Never publish something that could be used against you. (=basic internet rule nr. 1)

Good luck

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:05
English to German
+ ...
Tom May 14, 2015

My CV is available on request ( I removed it for the same reason).

Nevertheless, my profile seems to be complete:
(copy or rather excerpt of my profile page)

Profile completeness:
Required: 100%
Encouraged: 100%
Details...

Gudrun

[Bearbeitet am 2015-05-14 19:39 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 14, 2015

Gudrun Wolfrath wrote:

My CV is available on request ( I removed it for the same reason).

Nevertheless, my profile seems to be complete:
(Copy or rather excerpt of my profile page)

Profile completeness:
Required: 100%
Encouraged: 100%
Details...

Gudrun

Thanks Gudrun - I'm going to remove it!

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Completely removed! May 14, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Did you hide it, or did you completely remove it?

If I remove my CV will my profile show as not being 100% complete? I believe 100% completeness is important for search engines.

Strange it is but even with my CV lacking the profile is 100% complete - just checked it.
Yes, like Gudrun put it, same here.

[Edited at 2015-05-14 13:16 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good point May 14, 2015

houtberg wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

If I remove my CV will my profile show as not being 100% complete? I believe that's important for search engines.

Search engines such take 3-4 weeks or more to erase or overrride your details. If you want to do it faster, you'll have to contact Google itself. There is a page for doing so on the Google website.

Never publish something that could be used against you. (=basic internet rule nr. 1)

Good luck

Thanks houtberg - that's a good point (although I find your minimal profile very unhelpful; you don't even specify a language pair! Isn't that a bit extreme?)

Is your address Tulpstraat 24 1214 CD Hilversum Netherlands‎?
Is your phone number +31 6 50691872 (Mobile)?

[Edited at 2015-05-14 13:54 GMT]

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
No. May 14, 2015

[Edited at 2015-05-14 16:10 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Well.... May 14, 2015

Although in principle I agree with all of you, 'I don't want to cut me in my own fingers', as we say in Holland.

My CV is being seen by a lot potential clients, and I do get work out of it. Now I could remove it, but it has been on the Net = always 'findable'.

If somebody else wants to abuse it, not nice, but be my guest, just like abusing all of my accounts (except for the real important ones, which are closed (I hope) as a medievial castle), and be happy with it. I
... See more
Although in principle I agree with all of you, 'I don't want to cut me in my own fingers', as we say in Holland.

My CV is being seen by a lot potential clients, and I do get work out of it. Now I could remove it, but it has been on the Net = always 'findable'.

If somebody else wants to abuse it, not nice, but be my guest, just like abusing all of my accounts (except for the real important ones, which are closed (I hope) as a medievial castle), and be happy with it. I really dont know what they can do with it.

Anyhow, I don't want to loose new contacts, so guys, please have a look.
Collapse

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:05
Japanese to English
Removed my CV years ago. May 15, 2015

After hearing many horror stories, I went so far as to remove my CV years ago. That being said, if you have to put your CV up, I reckon the only option is a flat PDF (one that cannot be edited). You might also consider a watermark in the background. Then again, neither of these options is foolproof. They just make it that much harder for reprobates to abuse your CV.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A very short one May 15, 2015

There was a short discussion on a similar topic about a year ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/267751-suggestion_dont_post_cvs.html
As I wrote there: (a) It's not wise to include your full CV in your profile, because it can then be misused; (b) I replaced my previous (nearly complete) CV with a very short one that is probably enough to make serious inqui
... See more
There was a short discussion on a similar topic about a year ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/267751-suggestion_dont_post_cvs.html
As I wrote there: (a) It's not wise to include your full CV in your profile, because it can then be misused; (b) I replaced my previous (nearly complete) CV with a very short one that is probably enough to make serious inquirers ask me for the full one.

I suppose there is still the potential problem of would-be impersonators asking for your full CV and appearing to be legitimate inquirers. This implies that you need to be careful (difficult to define how to do that!) when you reply to such requests.

Oliver
Collapse

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
Maybe... May 16, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Maybe we don't have the same type of clients. Mine are repeat clients. And no Across.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Cutting off your nose to spite your face? May 18, 2015

houtberg wrote:
This is also the reason why I have an empty proz profile.

If you never intend to meet clients here, using the site purely for KudoZ, the forums etc., then I can see that would work fine for you. But I can also see it would be a tremendous disadvantage in this case:
Robert Rietvelt wrote:
My CV is being seen by a lot potential clients, and I do get work out of it.

Like Robert, I've found some extremely good clients here, who are now regular, i.e. repeat clients and hope to find more in the future. I have had someone use my name as their own, but not my CV to my knowledge. As Robert says, it isn't nice. But for me personally the advantages far outweigh the risks. We're never going to live in a world free of sharks and scammers (conmen as we used to call them before the days of the Internet - and before political correctness, for that matter). All we can do is limit the risks to the point where we feel they balance or are outweighed by the potential gain. That point will be different for everyone.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it wise to include your CV in your profile?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »