Visitors page - compulsive behaviour or data mining?
Thread poster: Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:04
Nov 10, 2012

About once a week I check my Visitors page.
Starting on 7 November, but especially on 9 November, someone in Mountain View, California seemed unduly in the KudoZ answered section of my profile.

Now, there is nothing remarkable there: I have a total of 118 points for Pro level questions (spread over three language pairs), have answered 107 questions, and have asked 15.

Does this really require three and a half pages of individual visits (well over 60 visits)?
... See more
Starting on 7 November, but especially on 9 November, someone in Mountain View, California seemed unduly in the KudoZ answered section of my profile.

Now, there is nothing remarkable there: I have a total of 118 points for Pro level questions (spread over three language pairs), have answered 107 questions, and have asked 15.

Does this really require three and a half pages of individual visits (well over 60 visits)?

I am curious as to whether anyone else has observed such behaviour on their visitors page.

I am also too inept, it seems, to include a a sample screenshot, despite reading the FAQ.

The visitor only ever visits my KudoZ Answered and Profile section of my profile page. Nothing else!

Could some kind of data mining be going on? I could think of many other better sources of information, but the idea of one human being scrutinizing almost every single answer I have ever posted on ProZ does give me the utter creeps.

(Edited for punctuation.)

[Edited at 2012-11-10 14:32 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It is Google (search engine) Nov 10, 2012

Allison Wright wrote:

I am curious as to whether anyone else has observed such behaviour on their visitors page.

I am also too inept, it seems, to include a a sample screenshot, despite reading the FAQ.

The visitor only ever visits my KudoZ Answered and Profile section of my profile page. Nothing else!

Could some kind of data mining be going on. I could think of many other better sources of information, but the idea of one human being scrutinizing almost every single answer I have ever posted on ProZ does give me the utter creeps.

Mountain view visits are from Google whose headquarter is in Mountain View California, not a human being

Best!

[Edited at 2012-11-10 12:31 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 10, 2012

Thanks, Angie.
It is just that these crawler visits used to show up as such, e.g. 31 visits from the Russian Federation. I have not altered my view settings, and had never noticed this kind of pattern before.

[Edited at 2012-11-10 14:33 GMT]

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Mine My Data Nov 10, 2012

Sometimes I get many dozens of visits from the same user, but I'm sure it's just a potential client doing research.

I suppose it's the job of some managers at agencies to "mine" such data and check every detail of profiles as they rank their suppliers.

I welcome such interest in my services.

Maybe outsourcers would like to chime in?

Best Regards

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Either way, so what...? Nov 10, 2012

If you don't want it to be accessed, don't put it on the Internet...!

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Search engines Nov 10, 2012

Search engine spiders crawling (and probably making your rank in search engine better) nothing to be too compulsive about From Russia it can be for example yandex.ru and from CA bing.com, google.com and maybe some other search engines. You can hide these visitors on the visitors tab.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dallas? Feb 23, 2013

Hello, I am accustomed to filtering out Yandex, Yahoo, and Google, from my visitor pages, but I have recently been receiving dozens of hits from Dallas, Texas. Does anyone know if this is the home of a search engine?

Andre Ferreira
Andre Ferreira  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SAME WITH ME Jul 12, 2013

The same thing is happening with me, every "visitor" from the same place, very similar IP addresses and coming from Kudoz answers (which I stopped answering a while ago). Sounds for me honestly very suspicious. Hard to trust the visitors section on our profile with this pattern more than emerged.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visitors page - compulsive behaviour or data mining?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »