Need guidance for completing profile
Thread poster: Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
United States
Local time: 20:27
Spanish to English
Oct 28, 2010

Are there any sticky topics on filling out all the details of your profile? I was unable to find any that had a title that seemed relevant.

Specifically, when choosing my areas of specialty, working field, and interest, how should I choose them? I don't have any "professional" experience translating yet and I'm not sure how to complete this part.

Also, I have a BA in Spanish and some spent some time in Venezuela, and I'm looking for a career change (i.e., translatin
... See more
Are there any sticky topics on filling out all the details of your profile? I was unable to find any that had a title that seemed relevant.

Specifically, when choosing my areas of specialty, working field, and interest, how should I choose them? I don't have any "professional" experience translating yet and I'm not sure how to complete this part.

Also, I have a BA in Spanish and some spent some time in Venezuela, and I'm looking for a career change (i.e., translating). I currently work as a security/fire alarm systems technician and have had a variety of other jobs since graduating 12 years ago. I want to pick up some small jobs to get my feet wet and I'm not sure what I can handle. Any advice?
Collapse

Helen Shepelenko
Helen Shepelenko
SITE STAFF
A Site Guidance Request Oct 29, 2010

Hi Gene,

I have created a site guidance request for you which will be used as an area to help you build a stronger profile aimed at reflecting your professional services accurately and increasing your visibility to potential clients (I have sent you details via profile).

Please, feel free to post there any doubts or comments you may have regarding the use of ProZ.com.

Hope this helps!

Helen

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe start with your current work? Oct 29, 2010

Gene Brode wrote:

I currently work as a security/fire alarm systems technician and have had a variety of other jobs since graduating 12 years ago.

I am sure that working in this field you know a lot about terminology used in this industry - maybe this could be a starting point. Also think about your previous jobs - I am sure that they taught you something what you'll be able to use in translating.

Good luck
Stanislaw

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
German to English
Change your areas of expertise Oct 29, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Gene Brode wrote:

I currently work as a security/fire alarm systems technician and have had a variety of other jobs since graduating 12 years ago.

I am sure that working in this field you know a lot about terminology used in this industry - maybe this could be a starting point.

I fully agree with Stanislaw. There's a lot of work in the area of safety/fire safety etc., and I'm sure clients would be glad to assign such work to someone who has so much knowledge in the field.

Currently the areas of expertise you have listed are quite mixed up. Assuming that you also have quite a bit of knowledge about the software/IT side of security systems, I think it would be better if you listed about four or five areas, something like this:

Computers: Software
Computers: Systems/Networks
Information Technology
Engineering(general)
Construction/Civil Engineering (you already have this one)

You can also list areas of interest in your profile, which could include Music, Cooking/Culinary etc., but I think you will definitely get more work with the five I've listed above.

It's just a suggestion. No one can impose anything on you - it's really up to you

Gene Brode (X)
Gene Brode (X)
United States
Local time: 20:27
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
expertise Oct 29, 2010

My current experience is more on the equipment and repair side of fire and security alarms, surveillance/CCTV, and such devices that go along with industry related equipment. I'm certified by NICET for fire alarms systems, which is an engineering technology group but I am not an engineer by any stretch. I don't know much about software/IT either, except that I use a computer and software apps!

I just lumped a bunch of my areas together last night. I will go through these specialt
... See more
My current experience is more on the equipment and repair side of fire and security alarms, surveillance/CCTV, and such devices that go along with industry related equipment. I'm certified by NICET for fire alarms systems, which is an engineering technology group but I am not an engineer by any stretch. I don't know much about software/IT either, except that I use a computer and software apps!

I just lumped a bunch of my areas together last night. I will go through these specialties again and sort them out. I take it that "specialty area" means what I am great at translating, "working area" is what I translate often and interests would be just that--areas I'm interested in and could also translate.

Helen, where can I view that information on my profile?

Thanks to all.

[Edited at 2010-10-29 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need guidance for completing profile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »