Thread poster: Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

Today when I checked the visitors to my profile, I saw that five visits had been made from "original IP address" of Mountain View, California, and "came from" translate.google.com.ar. When I clicked on the link, I found something that looked just like my profile, but in Spanish. Google had "helpfully" translated my profile, making, of course, numerous mistakes, but the translation looked just like my profile including the scrolling text I added recently. However, I already have posted a (sli... See more
Today when I checked the visitors to my profile, I saw that five visits had been made from "original IP address" of Mountain View, California, and "came from" translate.google.com.ar. When I clicked on the link, I found something that looked just like my profile, but in Spanish. Google had "helpfully" translated my profile, making, of course, numerous mistakes, but the translation looked just like my profile including the scrolling text I added recently. However, I already have posted a (slightly outdated now) Spanish version of my profile on Proz, but this one was quite different. I am wondering if Spanish speakers seeking a Spanish to English translator will find my version, or the Google Translate version. How ironic that my translation services are being publicized by a poor translation -- one I had no hand in requesting, supplying, or creating. Thoughts???Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 00:13
German to English
+ ...
I would be worried Oct 12, 2010

After all, a poor translation into spanish is not going to convinve potential clients is it. I doubt whether Google is legally entitled to do this, since you own the copyright in your material and that includes the right to translate it. I would contact them and ask them to remove the translation asap.

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
That's how Google works Oct 12, 2010

There is not much you can do here unless you want to sue and take down Google.
The low-quality translation that you have seen is the result of someone browsing your profile and clicking "Yes" when asked by Google "Do you want to translate this page?".

If you use Chrome as your browser, it will normally ask you whenever you encounter a webpage in a foreign language if you want to have this page translated. If you click yes, Google will display the very same page but replace the
... See more
There is not much you can do here unless you want to sue and take down Google.
The low-quality translation that you have seen is the result of someone browsing your profile and clicking "Yes" when asked by Google "Do you want to translate this page?".

If you use Chrome as your browser, it will normally ask you whenever you encounter a webpage in a foreign language if you want to have this page translated. If you click yes, Google will display the very same page but replace the source language with your target language. It will NOT change anything in the webpage per se - it simply shows you how the page would look in another language. And the translation is based on Google's MT engine.

Alternatively, you can go to Google Translate and enter the link of any URL you want and see a translated version. Same principle here.

Google does not claim to have any rights to the original material that the user wants translated. Nor does Google list the incorrect Spanish version in the search engine.
The search engine lists your regular profile, with your regular Spanish version.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nearly impossible to do Oct 12, 2010

David Wright wrote:

I would contact them and ask them to remove the translation asap.

It's nearly impossible to "contact" Google, for such matters at least.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Disclaimer Oct 12, 2010

Perhaps Google could be pressured to provide a disclaimer with its "translations"--something to the effect of: The translation you are about to view is machine generated and likely to contain numerous serious inaccuracies due to the limitations of this technology. Only a human translator can provide an error-free translation that is faithful to the source text.

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Add a "no translate" tag to your code Oct 12, 2010

Try this in the head section of the html code.

meta name="google" content="notranslate"

Hopefully that would solve this.

Reference: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/helping-you-break-language-barrier.html

Best Regards,

Peter

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could also be automatic Oct 12, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

I have seen search results of pages that have been pre-translated by Google already (although I'm not sure how prevalent this behaviour is). It happens particularly when I search for something in Afrikaans and very few actual Afrikaans pages have that content, then Google takes English pages that conform to that search query, and presents them as "Afrikaans" results in the search results (translated and all).

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Google has helpfully (mis)-translated my profile Oct 12, 2010

Peter Gleason wrote:

Try this in the head section of the html code.

meta name="google" content="notranslate"

Hopefully that would solve this.

Reference: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/10/helping-you-break-language-barrier.html

Best Regards,

Peter

Agree. I guess this is the way to follow to avoid such kind of things.

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Really? Oct 12, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have seen search results of pages that have been pre-translated by Google already (although I'm not sure how prevalent this behaviour is). It happens particularly when I search for something in Afrikaans and very few actual Afrikaans pages have that content, then Google takes English pages that conform to that search query, and presents them as "Afrikaans" results in the search results (translated and all).

I wouldn't like that... but whenever I see automatically translated Websites (usually via Google), there's always a hint somewhere that this page has been translated by Google, not by the site owners. Without such a hint, this would of course be misleading and I'd fully agree that this was unacceptable.

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
It works: google translate stopped on my profile through span tags Oct 12, 2010

Hi guys,

I wrapped the first paragraph of the "about me" section in my profile in span tags, it blocked English>Russian google translate.

< s*pan class="notranslate"*>(your text here> < */span> (remove the asterisks (*)), we aren't allowed to post html tags in forum posts. I'd be happy to help anyone with this.

Good luck!

Peter

[Edited at 2010-10-12 11:25 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 12, 2010

A quick thank you to all for support and good advice. I am headed away for the day, and will try out these helpful suggestions, and check out Sam's follow-up as soon as I am back at my desk.

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
It should be default... Nov 14, 2010

I think that, given what ProZ is and claims to be, in order to protect themselves and us from undesired MT of our profile and site content, they should include by default the 'notranslate' tag in all pages. After all, we can only edit a few parts of our profile page but have no access to the head section etc., so using span or no translate classes for other tags and so on is only a partial workaround and would make us all look bad and mislead the visitors.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'm submitting a support request to ask staff to comment Nov 14, 2010

Dear staff

I agree with Stefano´s suggestion, and all the comments above.

Could this be done please?
Or have the technical staff any other comments and suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing what you think!
(Support ticket submitted immediately after posting this.)

See more
Dear staff

I agree with Stefano´s suggestion, and all the comments above.

Could this be done please?
Or have the technical staff any other comments and suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing what you think!
(Support ticket submitted immediately after posting this.)

Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
I hope staff agrees, Christine. Nov 14, 2010

Stefano Papaleo wrote:

I think that, given what ProZ is and claims to be, in order to protect themselves and us from undesired MT of our profile and site content, they should include by default the 'notranslate' tag in all pages. After all, we can only edit a few parts of our profile page but have no access to the head section etc., so using span or no translate classes for other tags and so on is only a partial workaround and would make us all look bad and mislead the visitors.

In another thread on the same subject, I noted also that while I could use the code given to protect some text on my ProZ profile pages, there was no room to insert it in my tagline, for example, and anyone reading my user message or tagline MT'd into Dutch would think I was an idiot.

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/182735-disallow_google_from_translating_profile_pages.html#1602587

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google has helpfully (mis)-translated my profile

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »