Donating browniz - anyone interested?
Thread poster: Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
Spanish to English
Oct 2, 2006

Hello everyone,

I noticed recently on the ProZ home page that I am able to donate my browniz points to a respected colleague. My problem is the following:

1. Most of the translators I know on ProZ.com are already platinum members.

2. Those translators I know who aren't platinum, are non-platinum by choice (i.e. if I gave them my browniz points, they wouldn't use them).

In other words, I would like to donate my browniz, but I don't think anyone
... See more
Hello everyone,

I noticed recently on the ProZ home page that I am able to donate my browniz points to a respected colleague. My problem is the following:

1. Most of the translators I know on ProZ.com are already platinum members.

2. Those translators I know who aren't platinum, are non-platinum by choice (i.e. if I gave them my browniz points, they wouldn't use them).

In other words, I would like to donate my browniz, but I don't think anyone would use them. Is there anyone in the same situation?

If anyone would sincerely be interested in taking advantage of the ProZ.com browniz discount, please contact me in private.

Best regards,

Russell

----------------------------
I realized after posting this message that this forum is only open to Platinum members. If you know anyone who could use browniz, please let me know!

[Edited at 2006-10-02 17:34]
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:53
German to English
+ ...
Optimizing donation process? Oct 2, 2006

I'm curious about the browniz donation process. I wonder if it would be possible to make it more flexible. What if I wanted to donate 2000 to one person and 2000 to another? Or to a general pool with a group of interested applicants? Maybe potential applicants could sign up on a list, which donors could filter and use to decide whom to give points to? For instance one might be interested in donating to colleagues in a certain language combination, or in a certain country, or newbies to translati... See more
I'm curious about the browniz donation process. I wonder if it would be possible to make it more flexible. What if I wanted to donate 2000 to one person and 2000 to another? Or to a general pool with a group of interested applicants? Maybe potential applicants could sign up on a list, which donors could filter and use to decide whom to give points to? For instance one might be interested in donating to colleagues in a certain language combination, or in a certain country, or newbies to translation, or "starving students," etc.

(I realize this is a bit different issue than what you're addressing, Russell, but I'm curious about reactions to this program and thought I'd try to get the ball rolling. This has not yet been discussed elsewhere AFAIK).
Collapse

Russell Gillis
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A pool of interested applicants would be nice Oct 2, 2006

Hello Michele,

Thanks for adding your comments. I think your suggestions are great, particularly regarding a place where interested applicants can sign up. This would help people like me who have stagnant browniz and would like them to go to someone who can use them.

Russell Gillis
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Found someone! Oct 2, 2006

Hello again,

I was just contacted by someone in private, so I was able to transfer my points. Maybe people could post here if they would like to do the same.

Best regards,

Russell

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Taking up Michele's idea... Oct 2, 2006

it would be super if we could all donate browniz to translators in countries where Proz membership works out disproportionately expensive. They may not be able to earn many of their own browniz, for example, due to limited Internet access.

Astrid

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Astrid Oct 2, 2006

Silvia Puit V�gelin
Silvia Puit V�gelin
Belgium
German to Spanish
+ ...
new colleagues Oct 2, 2006

I also think this would be a good idea for new colleagues, who are starting to be freelancers and maybe don't know if they should be platinum or not...
I would also give away my browniZ (although I don't have a lot to give...)

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
BrowniZ Bank? Oct 2, 2006

I think it would be nice if we had a kind of "BrowniZ Bank" where anyone could donate excess browniz for others to claim. I don't need mine and would be happy to offer them to someone but the problem is, I'm not sure if a given colleague would accept them or not. As it has already been pointed out:

- some users are non-platinums by choice
- some might feel offended by such an offer ("what? you think I can't afford the full membership fee?")
- for others the membership mi
... See more
I think it would be nice if we had a kind of "BrowniZ Bank" where anyone could donate excess browniz for others to claim. I don't need mine and would be happy to offer them to someone but the problem is, I'm not sure if a given colleague would accept them or not. As it has already been pointed out:

- some users are non-platinums by choice
- some might feel offended by such an offer ("what? you think I can't afford the full membership fee?")
- for others the membership might still be too expensive, even after the browniz discount
- etc.

I don't want to make anyone feel awkward and I don't want to feel awkward myself if someone refuses to accept my "donation" That's why I think a "bank" would be a nice solution.

Anyway, I have now 4000 excess browniz and would gladly transfer them to anyone intersted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, that was fast! Just a few minutes after I posted my reply, I was contacted by a colleague and transferred my browniz to her account

Dear Members, if you have browniz that you don't need, please post here!

PS
Russell, what a great idea to start this thread!

[Edited at 2006-10-02 21:34]
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:53
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mine too! Oct 2, 2006

Hi!

Yes Russell, it was a great idea!

I was thinking of donating some of my Browniz. Last year I offered them to a colleague but received no response, so if somebody needs them, just ask for them.

Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2006-10-02 22:49]

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
"BrowniZ Bank" VeRy GoOd IdEa Oct 2, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

I think it would be nice if we had a kind of "BrowniZ Bank" where anyone could donate excess browniz for others to claim. I don't need mine and would be happy to offer them to someone but the problem is, I'm not sure if a given colleague would accept them or not.

I agree with Joanna the idea of the BANk is very amazing and very nice, it will be an internal proz activity that will be new and helpful.

I hope this idea to be executed.

Thanks Mr. Russell for this kind posting.

Regards,
Ehab

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I vote for Joanna as the administrator of the Browniz bank Oct 3, 2006

It would be necessary, however, to have a separate "Browniz bank account", that does not belong to anyone personally, and we could then all transfer our browniz there.

Astrid

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
My idea (something like a sort of BrowniZ Bank) Oct 3, 2006

Hi to all.

From my part, last week I have contacted ProZ.com staff declaring:

I’d like to place “16,000” BrowniZ units at your (personal or ProZ.com) disposal to share and donate them as you (personally or ProZ.com) deem it better

In any case if someone needs personally a number of BrowniZ, please contact me directly (link in my ProZ.com profile) and I'll be pleased to donate them.

Claudio

[Edited at 2006-10-03 09:01]

Agnieszka Zmuda
Agnieszka Zmuda  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Anyone? Oct 3, 2006

Hi everyone,

This subject was already extensively discussed in March this year and it seems obvious that some changes in the policy re. donating BrowniZ should have been introduced but, unfortunately, were not. I had already written that I'd hate being treated like some sales agent palming off sth to sb, so I'd rather 'meet' sb really interested in taking this 'gift' from me.

4000 BrowniZ to spare. Anyone?...

Agnieszka
----------------------
... See more
Hi everyone,

This subject was already extensively discussed in March this year and it seems obvious that some changes in the policy re. donating BrowniZ should have been introduced but, unfortunately, were not. I had already written that I'd hate being treated like some sales agent palming off sth to sb, so I'd rather 'meet' sb really interested in taking this 'gift' from me.

4000 BrowniZ to spare. Anyone?...

Agnieszka
----------------------

(a couple of hours later...)

No more BrowniZ to spare I am happy I could help someone who needs them more than I do

[Edited at 2006-10-03 13:37]

[Edited at 2006-10-03 13:38]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And this someone was me :-) Oct 3, 2006

Agnieszka Zmuda wrote:
No more BrowniZ to spare I am happy I could help someone who needs them more than I do

I take this opportunity to express my profound gratitude to Agnieszka. Dziekuje bardzo-bardzissimo!

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
It works! Oct 4, 2006

Well, I have just donated 4,000 BrowniZ to a colleague in Argentina who wrote me asking for this 'gift', but, as she lives in Argentina, I couldn't meet her in person! But our community can interact also in this way.

Well, now I have 12,000 BrowniZ available for other 3 colleagues wishing them.

Just ask for them.

Claudio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Donating browniz - anyone interested?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »