Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2006

I have been a non-paying, but active and enthusiastic, member of Proz.com since 2000 or 2001. I have participated regularly in Forums and Kudoz questions and earned a respectable number of Kudoz and Brownie points.

Recently I decided to become a paying member. However, my profile now says "member since Feb 06". My past Proz history is wiped out and it looks as if I have just signed up. I am very disappointed with that and I think there should be a way to more accurately represent p
... See more
I have been a non-paying, but active and enthusiastic, member of Proz.com since 2000 or 2001. I have participated regularly in Forums and Kudoz questions and earned a respectable number of Kudoz and Brownie points.

Recently I decided to become a paying member. However, my profile now says "member since Feb 06". My past Proz history is wiped out and it looks as if I have just signed up. I am very disappointed with that and I think there should be a way to more accurately represent people's membership history.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-02 17:57]
Collapse

alvanice
alvanice
Local time: 02:57
English to French
+ ...
Your profile looks great! Mar 2, 2006

Dear Tina,
I've just looked at your profile and it just looks great. I did the same as you, I signed Platinum after being a regular member for some time. Since I signed for Platinum last October I've had plenty of job opportunities as well as new great contacts. Try to focuse on all the benetifs your new membership is going to bring along and I've no doubt you'll look at it in a different way. I'll be happy to hear from you in a few weeks, I'm sure you'll be happier. All the best

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Experience at ProZ.com Mar 2, 2006

Hi Tina,

I also thought about it. I've been around since 2004 and I would prefer to have this information in my profile (BTW, it is included in the Directory: Experience at ProZ.com) instead of the date when I became a paying member. Not that it's a problem that prevents me from sleeping, but it would be nice if something was done about it

Regards to All,

Joanna

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:57
SITE FOUNDER
You can turn off the "member since" display Mar 2, 2006

Hi Tina,

Do you know it is possible to turn off display of the "member since" date? Would that be sufficient to correct the situation, in your opinion?

Or perhaps you feel it would be better if we added "Registered since" to your profile?

You registered in October of 2000, by the way. Thanks for using, and now supporting, the site.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Could this be a solution for now? Mar 2, 2006

Total years in Proz.com are shown in the directory only, as far as I know.

You can choose to hide this info in your profile page (Hide/Show buttons right under your name and/or picture in the upper left corner of your profile). If you hide it, you'll have suppressed the date info, and only Member will be shown - as is the case with me

=====

Oops! Henry was faster to ex
... See more
Total years in Proz.com are shown in the directory only, as far as I know.

You can choose to hide this info in your profile page (Hide/Show buttons right under your name and/or picture in the upper left corner of your profile). If you hide it, you'll have suppressed the date info, and only Member will be shown - as is the case with me

=====

Oops! Henry was faster to explain

[Edited at 2006-03-02 18:00]
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:57
Japanese to English
Your profile member 'number' hasn't changed, though... Mar 2, 2006

..... and considering there are now well over 110,000 members, that probably shows more than anything else just how long you have really been around (albeit without a precise date, but it would be pretty clear to regular Users of this site that you must have joined within the first few years of ProZ.com's inception.)

I agree with Henry and Özden - if you toggle the "Member since" display, you may come up with a happy compromise.

Good luck!

==========
... See more
..... and considering there are now well over 110,000 members, that probably shows more than anything else just how long you have really been around (albeit without a precise date, but it would be pretty clear to regular Users of this site that you must have joined within the first few years of ProZ.com's inception.)

I agree with Henry and Özden - if you toggle the "Member since" display, you may come up with a happy compromise.

Good luck!

==========
Way off the mark! I just saw that there are actually over 130,000 Users registered (Forum http://www.proz.com/topic/43282 started by Joanna above )

[Edited at 2006-03-02 18:44]
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Compromises, ways to go around things ... Mar 2, 2006

I wonder why the moderators and staff refuse to make a double entry with each name along the lines of:
First seen / registered here in .....
Paying member since .....
There have been numerous postings about how people actively participating for ages have suddenly felt dismembered from the site due to the membership terminology used, so I don't want to repeat the arguments once again. But it is still a sore point, I assure you, and will probably remain so for years. Is that wort
... See more
I wonder why the moderators and staff refuse to make a double entry with each name along the lines of:
First seen / registered here in .....
Paying member since .....
There have been numerous postings about how people actively participating for ages have suddenly felt dismembered from the site due to the membership terminology used, so I don't want to repeat the arguments once again. But it is still a sore point, I assure you, and will probably remain so for years. Is that worth it?
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Registered since ... Mar 2, 2006

Henry wrote:

Or perhaps you feel it would be better if we added "Registered since" to your profile?

Yes, I think it's a great idea!!!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would make me feel better Mar 2, 2006

Henry wrote:

Hi Tina,

Do you know it is possible to turn off display of the "member since" date? Would that be sufficient to correct the situation, in your opinion?

You registered in October of 2000, by the way. Thanks for using, and now supporting, the site.

Thanks Henry.

Hiding "member since" would not solve the problem because then there would be nothing there at all. But it would definitely make me feel better if "registered since" was added. You have to understand that there is a certain pride (or emotional attachment, or whatever you want to call it) involved in having been a loyal (albeit non-paying) member and having contributed to, not just used, the site.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:57
Italian to English
+ ...
Tried changing "member since" date to no avail Mar 2, 2006

Henry wrote:

I've been trying to change the "member since" date on my profile for ages now. I've filled in the "notify staff" mini form direct from my profile but no joy. I became a paying member on 28th March 2003 and my profile says April 2004. Not a hugely important issue (!), but is there anything else I can do?

[Edited at 2006-03-02 19:56]

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
Am I missing something? Mar 2, 2006

I don't get it - what's the big deal *really* concerning when someone joined or became a paying member?

It makes no difference whatsoever _to me_ when a person joined, and I certainly don't associate any kind of 'prestige' with having been a member longer than anyone else, nor do I consider myself 'superior' to anyone who has been a member for a shorter period than I. There is no direct correlation between being a good translator and having "Member since 1865" visible on my profile!
... See more
I don't get it - what's the big deal *really* concerning when someone joined or became a paying member?

It makes no difference whatsoever _to me_ when a person joined, and I certainly don't associate any kind of 'prestige' with having been a member longer than anyone else, nor do I consider myself 'superior' to anyone who has been a member for a shorter period than I. There is no direct correlation between being a good translator and having "Member since 1865" visible on my profile! (Incidentally, this also has no bearing on how much I do or do not visit/contribute to the site.)

I really think it's irrelevant and certainly hope people would never 'judge' me on the basis of when I registered or became a paying member (just as I would never do to them.)

I'm much more interested in the frequency/quality of an individual's CONTRIBUTIONs to the site, and more specifically, in my language pairs. There are plenty of Users/members who have joined in recent months who make very valuable contributions to KudoZ/Forums in my language pair, and to me that is much more significant than someone who (historically) may have joined several years ago but only 'drops by' every few months (if at all).

If I am really interested in when a person joined, for whatever reason, I can get a pretty good idea by looking at their member 'number.'

I don't mean to offend anyone - this is just _my_ opinion - but to me it just seems a little, well..... superficial.
Thanks for the bandwidth.
Collapse

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
Several point of view... Mar 2, 2006

KathyT wrote:

Am I missing something?

Yes, that people have different taste.
For TINA it's a problem, so IT'S a problem.
Not all is logical, many things are emotional.

Daniele

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Missing something Mar 2, 2006

[quote]KathyT wrote:

Imagine that you had been renting a house in a neighbourhood where you feel at home. You know your way around and you know your neighbours well. Now you decide to buy the house and all of a sudden you are treated as a newcomer, a stranger, nobody realizes that you have lived there a long time. That's what it felt like to me.

It isn't a really big deal but it could easily be changed. I agree with you that how much you contribute is more important than how long you have been a member but those two things are (or can be) related and that is part of the point I was trying to make.

KathyT
Australia
Japanese to English
Yes, Tina - I certainly understand your point... Mar 2, 2006

...that's probably one of the reasons why I toggled my "Member since..." display off.

I also hope that you realize that, in your example, your close neighbors (ie. the colleagues that 'know' you in your regular language pairs, forums, etc.) will always know that of course you have been around much longer (perhaps you just 'renovated' the house! ) and also would not be so shallow as to think of you any differently just
... See more
...that's probably one of the reasons why I toggled my "Member since..." display off.

I also hope that you realize that, in your example, your close neighbors (ie. the colleagues that 'know' you in your regular language pairs, forums, etc.) will always know that of course you have been around much longer (perhaps you just 'renovated' the house! ) and also would not be so shallow as to think of you any differently just because you became a 'paying' member on such-and-such a date.

Furthermore, I would hope that anyone who newly 'moves into' said neighborhood would be warmly welcomed and not made to feel 'inferior' just because they hadn't lived there as long!!
Collapse

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trust and credibility Mar 3, 2006

There is also another point, in my view. If you have been registered and actively participating for a long time you are seen as more credible. Let's assume that you have an urgent job you cannot handle on your own and you need to find help (a translator, proofreader, etc.) You post a job on Proz.com. If you have no Blue Board record, I would be more likely to respond to such job posting from a freelancer who has been around for a while and I wouldn't respond at all to someone who has just regis... See more
There is also another point, in my view. If you have been registered and actively participating for a long time you are seen as more credible. Let's assume that you have an urgent job you cannot handle on your own and you need to find help (a translator, proofreader, etc.) You post a job on Proz.com. If you have no Blue Board record, I would be more likely to respond to such job posting from a freelancer who has been around for a while and I wouldn't respond at all to someone who has just registered.

I discovered Proz.com only last year so I myself haven't been around for too long, but I think that showing when someone registered would be a nice feature.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappointed with "member since" date

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »