Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
margarete
margarete  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
German to English
+ ...
adding registered since Mar 3, 2006

I would like to chime in and definitely vote for adding "registered since". I became a paying member in December and the only effect this has had for me so far is that my "member since" date has changed and no longer reflects how long I have been participating in this site. Somehow left a sour taste.

And while I am at it.... Even though I am now a paying member I strongly disagree with the changes to the membership terminology. I always valued Proz for being different from other si
... See more
I would like to chime in and definitely vote for adding "registered since". I became a paying member in December and the only effect this has had for me so far is that my "member since" date has changed and no longer reflects how long I have been participating in this site. Somehow left a sour taste.

And while I am at it.... Even though I am now a paying member I strongly disagree with the changes to the membership terminology. I always valued Proz for being different from other sites in being equally open and welcoming to paying and non-paying members. This was one of the main reasons I stuck around.

Together with the recent Kudoz changes I feel like this has changed to climate of this site to the negative and I have found myself visiting much less frequently... ironic isn't it...

Ariane
Collapse

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:13
English to Estonian
+ ...
I'd like to be a Platinum member again Mar 3, 2006

Wouldn't it avoid all the confusion if Platinum members became Platinum members again ? I did pay to become a Platinum member and didn't really become one. This "demoting campaign" or "membership terminology revolution" has already brought along confusion and disappointment in many different ways, as evidenced by the forum threads.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:13
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There have always been access differences between Platinum and other members Mar 3, 2006

Ariane Mertz wrote:

I always valued Proz for being different from other sites in being equally open and welcoming to paying and non-paying members. This was one of the main reasons I stuck around.

Together with the recent Kudoz changes I feel like this has changed to climate of this site to the negative and I have found myself visiting much less frequently... ironic isn't it...

Ariane

Personally I don't care much about the differences between the old and new system. To tell the truth, I visit Proz frequently (it's my start page) and I didn't notice the difference until someone started complaining. In my opinion Proz is acting fairly by giving paying members some advantages, because operating and renewing the site, with all concomittant expenses, must have a huge price tag, so there must be revenues.

What I mean to say, I think proz is just as open and welcoming to everybody as it was ever. I think we all feel that a lot of non-paying members do contribute a lot.

I do agree that giving every registered person the possibility to show his / her history would be great.

However, I hope we get a toggle button to hide some of that information, otherwise it might look like a timetable, which would visitors that already managed to survive my nut, still make to leave.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: credibility Mar 3, 2006

TranslateThis wrote:

There is also another point, in my view. If you have been registered and actively participating for a long time you are seen as more credible.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with those who argue that length or type of membership in itself says absolutely nothing about how much you contributed or how good a translator you are, and that it would be very wrong to use that as the sole criterion for judging people. But I agree with you that, taken together with the rest of your profile, your credentials, experience, Kudoz history, etc., your membership history does add to your credibility.

Like Jörgen, I would prefer the previous designation of (registered) member and Platinum member and I would appreciate seeing both mentioned on my profile.

I think I've said enough about this now. Thanks to everyone for contributing to the debate!

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
the same 4 me Jul 25, 2006

I missed for some reasons to renew in time my membership. There was a one week period (if I am right) when my Platinum subscription expired, then I renewed it by transferring the fee.
Now, it seems as if I have been a member since the new subscription date. It is quite annoying.

Regards,
Peter.

[Módosítva: 2006-07-25 09:49]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappointed with "member since" date

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »