Only members can post in this forum

IP addresses no longer shown in profile visitor logs (staff: GDPR)
Thread poster: Théo Amon
Théo Amon
Théo Amon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 28, 2018

Hello:

I'm extremely dissatisfied with Proz.com's recent policy of coaxing members into subscribing this Plus Package at all costs. OK, if they want to create new resources for a new membership level, that's OK. But now, for example, the IP identification function for checking visitors of your profile has suddenly disappeared from my profile, and when I click on the button "Enhanced Profile Analytics", guess what? Only for Plus subscribers...
IMO this is on the verge of bad fa
... See more
Hello:

I'm extremely dissatisfied with Proz.com's recent policy of coaxing members into subscribing this Plus Package at all costs. OK, if they want to create new resources for a new membership level, that's OK. But now, for example, the IP identification function for checking visitors of your profile has suddenly disappeared from my profile, and when I click on the button "Enhanced Profile Analytics", guess what? Only for Plus subscribers...
IMO this is on the verge of bad faith. When I subscribed/renewed my membership, I was counting with features that are now slowly being sucked in by this Plus thing. Very disappointing.

Théo Amon

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-05-28 16:14 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:58
SITE FOUNDER
IP addresses have been removed in connection with GDPR May 28, 2018

Hi Théo,

IP addresses have been removed in connection with the EU's new GDPR privacy laws. Plus subscribers don't see them either.

There was a suggestion to request consent from visitors to show their IP addresses. We may explore that, but realistically, given that many will not consent, I would not count on seeing IP addresses in the future.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:58
English to Italian
GDPR May 28, 2018

As some of us had already hypothesized, we've been told by site staff this has to do to with the new European regulation on privacy (GDPR), in which case this should apply to both "standard" and "plus" paying tiers.

The "Enhanced Profile Analytics" you refer to has been there for a while now (although I don't see why it should be shown on "standard" users' profiles, save for advertisi
... See more
As some of us had already hypothesized, we've been told by site staff this has to do to with the new European regulation on privacy (GDPR), in which case this should apply to both "standard" and "plus" paying tiers.

The "Enhanced Profile Analytics" you refer to has been there for a while now (although I don't see why it should be shown on "standard" users' profiles, save for advertising purposes...).

Please see https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/325574-is_this_for_real_no_ips_are_shown_any_more_but_codes.html

At any rate, since they've been so swift in implementing this IP obfuscation as soon as GDPR came into force, I'd say that was something they had prepared far in advance, and yet we weren't told anything, and no alternative measure was taken to supplement the missing IPs, such as showing country/city of origin, as me and others have suggested in the above linked thread... Now that is in fact quite "dissatisfying"...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IP addresses no longer shown in profile visitor logs (staff: GDPR)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »