https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_membership/308350-how_to_stop_silly_animations_on_prozcom_web_site.html&phpv_redirected=1

Only members can post in this forum

How to stop silly animations on ProZ.com web site
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 3, 2016

Hello everyone

I just got an e-mail about a membership deal at ProZ.com and so I visited the linked page. This page is clearly part of the new "mobile-friendly" design because it's all one lo-o-o-ng page, with random elements that start to animate as you scroll past them. Yup, web design has come full circle and we're almost back at the "wow, we can use 50 different fonts" stage again.

So I'm wondering... does ProZ.com want to show potential members that it has a fanc
... See more
Hello everyone

I just got an e-mail about a membership deal at ProZ.com and so I visited the linked page. This page is clearly part of the new "mobile-friendly" design because it's all one lo-o-o-ng page, with random elements that start to animate as you scroll past them. Yup, web design has come full circle and we're almost back at the "wow, we can use 50 different fonts" stage again.

So I'm wondering... does ProZ.com want to show potential members that it has a fancy web site, or does ProZ.com want to sell memberships? Because I tried really hard to read the section about the different types of memberships, but that animated thingy kept taking my eyes away from the text. Here's an idea for clients who hire new-school web designers: don't distract your reader with distracting animations while he's trying to read the convincing text that you spent so much time writing. No-one is going to click the "buy" button simply to escape the flickers and flashes.

I took a screenshot, and then I gave up.

Capture-1

Samuel
Collapse

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, please Nov 3, 2016

100% supported!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes! Nov 3, 2016

Adguard and Adblock Plus will get rid of a lot of these, but why should we have to bother? And anyone just considering the possibility of joining will almost certainly not bother, but will give up and maybe join one of ProZ's rivals instead.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:31
SITE STAFF
Thanks Nov 3, 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do.

Jared

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adblock doesn't block it Nov 3, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:
Adguard and Adblock Plus will get rid of a lot of these, but why should we have to bother?

I have Adblock Plus installed, and although that blocks animations from advertisements, it does not block or stop cutesy animations from the site itself.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reading Nov 3, 2016

As a translator, I am very used to acquiring information from print, and I don't believe I am unique. I perceive anything that interferes with my reading process as extremely disruptive. Designers should realize that although flashes and animations may be effective for other types of learners, they are not called for in this context.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The "TM-Town effect"... Nov 3, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

To me, this and several other things (like the new 2-tier membership system itself + auto-renewal, the "contest" thing with the little car on top of the page, the WIWO "feature", etc.) are coming directly from TM-Town, and I can't say I like it very much.

I must also add I don't find all of those flashy bells and whistles particularly professional in both appearance and substance. I would expect them (perhaps) on a generalist social network or on Ebay (e.g. special offers, seasonal sales?), for instance, NOT on a website aimed at professionals of a specific field and their clients...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't mind, actually Nov 3, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
...(like the new 2-tier membership system itself + auto-renewal, the "contest" thing with the little car on top of the page, the WIWO "feature", etc.) ... I can't say I like it very much.

I, on the other hand, don't mind a little refreshment and playfulness on the ProZ.com site.

My main gripe in this thread is with the animations that occur when you scroll to a certain part of the page. I can make the animation stop by scrolling up or down a certain amount (there appears to be a sweet spot on the page which, when it is in the user's browser, activates the animation), but there are better ways of dealing with animations. In this particular case, the animation should stop after a second or two, for that's how long it takes for it to move the user's attention to that part of the page.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:31
Greek to English
Bad for the brain Nov 4, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

I took a screenshot, and then I gave up.

Yikes! That is truly awful. I had to close the page before it gave me a migraine.

And I am not a migraine sufferer.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Words of wisdom Nov 4, 2016

Jessica Noyes wrote:

As a translator, I am very used to acquiring information from print, and I don't believe I am unique. I perceive anything that interferes with my reading process as extremely disruptive. Designers should realize that although flashes and animations may be effective for other types of learners, they are not called for in this context.

Quite.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmmm Nov 4, 2016

ahartje wrote:

100% supported!

ahartje: I see you have your very own silly animation.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
No images Nov 4, 2016

Proz actually works quite well if you set your browser to "No images", you get all the text and links but no images or animation.
I use two browsers, one set with no images and the other with images, this way it's really quick to switch between the two and eliminate any distractions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to stop silly animations on ProZ.com web site

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »