Lina Efthimiadou  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:10
Member (2016)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 15, 2016

Hi!
I am new here at Proz.com and after I read all the older posts about membership and about the clients that contacted directly certain members, I would like to ask you, did you all have years of experience before becoming a proz.com member? Because I see that the competition is high and the chances of me getting picked out of all the other members in my pair (who have many years of experience) are not many.

Also, I decided to learn how to use TRADOS as it is the most commo
... See more
Hi!
I am new here at Proz.com and after I read all the older posts about membership and about the clients that contacted directly certain members, I would like to ask you, did you all have years of experience before becoming a proz.com member? Because I see that the competition is high and the chances of me getting picked out of all the other members in my pair (who have many years of experience) are not many.

Also, I decided to learn how to use TRADOS as it is the most commonly used software.

Any advices?

Thank you!
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
Member (2015)
German to English
Hi Lina Apr 15, 2016

Although I have many years of translating experience I only became a proz paid member last year when a particular job came up that I wanted to give a quote for and which required full membership. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but my membership has more than paid for itself through the number of clients I have acquired via my proz profile.

Exactly how this works is still something of a mystery to me but I decided to go the full hog by also completing my proz profile, creating a
... See more
Although I have many years of translating experience I only became a proz paid member last year when a particular job came up that I wanted to give a quote for and which required full membership. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job but my membership has more than paid for itself through the number of clients I have acquired via my proz profile.

Exactly how this works is still something of a mystery to me but I decided to go the full hog by also completing my proz profile, creating a website for clients to refer to and also finally got around to having business cards made up.

What swung things in my favour I don't know but it proves to me just how marketing yourself does pay off.

Of course, there are also many offers that are way below my rates but I can now fortunately afford to turn these down.

A further benefit of paid membership is full access to the Blue Board, which I find extremely helpful in evaluating a new client.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi, Lina! Apr 15, 2016

I do agree with everything Andrea has said and just would add that earning KudoZ points in your language pairs and fields of expertise is also important, as this is how directory search results are ranked. Another strategy is asking your clients for feedback giving you WWAs.

Good luck!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 15, 2016

You only become a paying member a month ago, but that should significantly increase the number of contacts you get from prospective customers. And I'd also endorse what Teresa said: answer as many KudoZ questions as you can. It may take time for the results to filter through, but it's time and money well spent.

I find ProZ a valuable source of new business.

Lina Efthimiadou
Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 15, 2016

Thank you all for your answers so far!
philgoddard you said my membership "should significantly increase the number of contacts I get from prospective customers", but in fact I didn't get any. Except if you mean from biding.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:10
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2016

[Edited at 2016-04-15 15:24 GMT]

Lina Efthimiadou
Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 15, 2016

Hi Tina and thank you too.

Of course I don't expect to become a super successful translator from the first month, but I was just wondering if I rushed into becoming a paying member without having years of experience in my back.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Clients finding you directly Apr 15, 2016

These last years - I have been a member since 2006 and I am very active on Kudoz and the forums - most of my new customers have come through Proz.com. They contact me directly as I no longer bid on Proz jobs, because the posters seem to be looking for the cheapest translators…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About clients finding you directly from your profile

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »