https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_membership/235654-i_dont_want_to_be_part_of_such_a_site_ad_for_file_conversion_and_mt_services_for_translators-page4.html&phpv_redirected=1

Only members can post in this forum

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
I don't want to be part of such a site (ad for file conversion and MT services for translators)
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:56
English to German
+ ...
Brain vs. machine Oct 25, 2012

Not that I would regret "good old times", but my brain has remained my main asset - and those who tell us we need more software, more machines etc. get a laugh from me... on a good day.

So true. Someone has very aptly called this BAT -- brain assisted translation :-]

My personal maxim, modelled after a rather well-known saying, is that the brain is still the biggest translation organ ;-]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Regarding the original post and original advert Oct 26, 2012

Jared wrote:
The ad in question is one which advertises .pdf file conversion services and some MT options to translators.

I did not see the advert, but when I saw Jared's reply I thought "hey, I'm interested!" because I often use machine translation for a number of my clients (heavily post-edited, of course), and I'm certainly interested in affordable non-Google machine translation.

However, the web site provides no information whatsoever about what machine translation system is used, or what languages are available. The entire page on machine translation is one or two paragraphs long. However, on both the home page and the page on machine translation it says "machine translation can never replace human translation".

The rates offered by that company for PDF conversions is not bad at all, by the way. And if they can machine translate complex tables without losing any formatting information (which Google Translate isn't very good at, if the file is complex), then it certainly has value... for people who know what MT is and isn't.

If you have to translate a locked PDF with lots of tables, even if you do get it converted and you translate the converted file in your CAT tool, you still need to check your final translation against the original PDF and not against the converted PDF. So if the machine translation is good enough, it may actually save time not using your CAT tool with the converted file but simply post-editing the machine translating with the PDF side by side.

Samuel

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I don't want to be part of such a site (ad for file conversion and MT services for translators)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »