https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_membership/186751-euro_tax.html&phpv_redirected=1

Only members can post in this forum

Euro Tax?
Thread poster: Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2010

Although I enjoy and value my membership of Proz, it seems to me to be very unfair to charge members in the Euro zone a different rate than members in the rest of the world.

The €200 offer for 2 year's membership only costs €152 for people living outside the Eurozone, including for example in the United Kingdom, Denmark or Sweden.

Jared wrote in in July 23 2008 in this Forum that "ProZ.com has promised to apply the policy consistently going forward. Over time it is
... See more
Although I enjoy and value my membership of Proz, it seems to me to be very unfair to charge members in the Euro zone a different rate than members in the rest of the world.

The €200 offer for 2 year's membership only costs €152 for people living outside the Eurozone, including for example in the United Kingdom, Denmark or Sweden.

Jared wrote in in July 23 2008 in this Forum that "ProZ.com has promised to apply the policy consistently going forward. Over time it is thought that amounts paid will balance out (and if they do not, adjustment will be made)".

The Euro has had a higher value than the dollar for the past 8 years (exactly).

Proz.com is entitled to charge any rate it likes, but you must see that it is difficult for members in the Euro zone to feel that they are getting a bargain when they know that if they lived in another currency area (some times only a few kilometres away), they could get a 25% discount?
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:42
SITE STAFF
Thanks Diarmuid Dec 2, 2010

Hello Diarmuid,

It's good to hear you are getting a return on your membership.

I see what you're saying. I think Henry's post in the thread you cite answers this, at least partially: http://www.proz.com/post/903625#903625

I think that ProZ.com membership, which has, over time, steadily increased in value (in terms of what you get for your membership) while rem
... See more
Hello Diarmuid,

It's good to hear you are getting a return on your membership.

I see what you're saying. I think Henry's post in the thread you cite answers this, at least partially: http://www.proz.com/post/903625#903625

I think that ProZ.com membership, which has, over time, steadily increased in value (in terms of what you get for your membership) while remaining at the same price, and at times being decreased, is worth it. At least, members are getting a good return on the investment. As for the EUR-USD difference that comes from the policy mentioned in http://www.proz.com/faq/4033#4033 , it may make sense to adjust other pricing upward, though that's not a step to be taken lightly, and probably one which would result in physical harm to my person . Overall I think, as Henry says in that post, that the price is fair for the value offered.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 09:42
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jared Dec 2, 2010

Thanks for your reply, but you seem to have missed my point.

This is not about value for money. I readily admit that Proz is actually worth more to me than I pay for it, so please, please leave that issue aside.

My query is about perceptions, the perception that some members in Europe have that they are being discriminated against because they live in the Euro zone. I say some, because if they live in the UK, Denmark, Sweden etc. they currently pay about 25% less for me
... See more
Thanks for your reply, but you seem to have missed my point.

This is not about value for money. I readily admit that Proz is actually worth more to me than I pay for it, so please, please leave that issue aside.

My query is about perceptions, the perception that some members in Europe have that they are being discriminated against because they live in the Euro zone. I say some, because if they live in the UK, Denmark, Sweden etc. they currently pay about 25% less for membership.

I read Henry's post and the FAQ already, but they don't properly address this issue in my opinion. For example, the first few lines in the FAQ state that 50% of members are based in Europe, but only 30% of costs are in the Euro zone. I don't see how this is a justification for charging Euro zone members more than other members, including other European members.

This is not a big deal for me, In fact, I think there should be a way for members in wealthy countries to pay more than those in countries with lower average income per capita.

My problem is that I think you owe it to your European members to properly explain the difference in price. Once again, it is not a question of value for money. It is a question of perception.

Keep up the good work

[Edited at 2010-12-02 19:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-02 19:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Euro Tax?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »