Only members can post in this forum

Corporate Membership drive - devalues our investment in Platinum membership?
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2008

I have been invited several times to join the new "Corporate Membership"

But I really don't think I qualify as a "corporate" - I am a freelancer who happens to have outsourced parts of a couple of jobs when I have become overloaded.

I think there is a flaw in Proz inviting so many people to join this new membership system (which I see as a kind of "Platinum Plus").

If they invite everybody who has ever outsourced - regardless of whether or not they are rea
... See more

But I really don't think I qualify as a "corporate" - I am a freelancer who happens to have outsourced parts of a couple of jobs when I have become overloaded.

I think there is a flaw in Proz inviting so many people to join this new membership system (which I see as a kind of "Platinum Plus").

If they invite everybody who has ever outsourced - regardless of whether or not they are really a company or "corporate" - then it just devalues the Corporate scheme itself while simualtenously pushing us "platinum members" down the pecking order, after we have already paid to be at the top of it!

I may have misunderstood - but it seems to me that those of us who have already made an investment in Proz membership will find it is devalued if there is a mad rush for Corporate membership.

What do others think?

[Edited at 2008-05-28 14:43]
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Agree, but... May 28, 2008

then I have never outsourced anything through proz. Also, can corporate members really compete with us?

Normally, this shouldn't be possible because the jobs here are for freelancers (platinum or otherwise) and corporate members are normally outsourcers (job-posters).

I'd like to know if corporate members can actually bid for the jobs and if yes, are their quotes placed above those
... See more
then I have never outsourced anything through proz. Also, can corporate members really compete with us?

Normally, this shouldn't be possible because the jobs here are for freelancers (platinum or otherwise) and corporate members are normally outsourcers (job-posters).

I'd like to know if corporate members can actually bid for the jobs and if yes, are their quotes placed above those of platinum members?

If corporate members start bidding for the same jobs... it defeats the purpose altogether. They are supposed to get jobs from outside and outsource/ try to find the right people for the job on proz.

It is a worrying trend and I hope that it is not true.

[Edited at 2008-05-28 14:37]
Collapse

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What the blurb says May 28, 2008

Hi Ritu
I am not sure if the Corporate membership gives a higher placing when replying to jobs... Here's what the blurb says:

"Whether you are part of a translation company, or you are are a freelancer that outsourcers work, ProZ.com corporate membership can help you meet clients, network, expand your business and do better work.

As a Corporate Member you will keep all the job-related benefits that you already have as a professional member, plus adding more value
... See more
Hi Ritu
I am not sure if the Corporate membership gives a higher placing when replying to jobs... Here's what the blurb says:

"Whether you are part of a translation company, or you are are a freelancer that outsourcers work, ProZ.com corporate membership can help you meet clients, network, expand your business and do better work.

As a Corporate Member you will keep all the job-related benefits that you already have as a professional member, plus adding more value to your membership.

ProZ.com is committed to providing a corporate membership program that helps your business grow and succeed. Corporate Membership benefits include:

Listing your company in a directory of almost 700 language service providers worldwide.
Ability to instantly search for the best translators worldwide using over 31 different criteria.
Manage your private vendor database online, and keep it up-to-date when there are updates in the ProZ.com profiles.
Post jobs to only qualified candidates to get the work done quickly and efficiently
Full access to "Connect" - the leading corporate tool for finding and working with the top translators"
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 01:55
English to Spanish
I am a freelance translator! May 28, 2008

And I want to keep this status and being viewed that way.

If I become my own client's competitor, I won't get a single job ever more!

It is true that I have a website, but it clearly announces a small network of freelance translators offering this service, and not a translation agency neither an outsourcer.

I have shared jobs with my colleagues and they've kindly given a good reference of me on the Blue Board, but I'll have to remove it.... See more

It is true that I have a website, but it clearly announces a small network of freelance translators offering this service, and not a translation agency neither an outsourcer.

I have shared jobs with my colleagues and they've kindly given a good reference of me on the Blue Board, but I'll have to remove it.

No way. I don't want to be viewed as an outsourcer.

Sorry, Proz.com, it was a good try.
Collapse

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"If I become my own client's competitor, I won't get a single job ever more" May 28, 2008

[quote]Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Tadzio, that's a really good point - like you, I rely on agencies to get me work and I'm not bothered that they pay me only 50%, 60%, maybe 70% of what they earn from the end client - the fact is, they focus on selling and leav me to focus on translating. It's a good system.

I think I, too, will remove my Blue Board entries.

We need clarity here, not a big mish-mash of everyone scrambling over each other for the same jobs.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:55
SITE FOUNDER
This is not "platinum plus" May 28, 2008

Comunican wrote:

If you don't view yourself as a "corporate" member of the site, you should not become a corporate member. On behalf of the site team, please pardon the intrusion! (Please bear in mind, in this industry it is sometimes hard to tell those who act as companies from those who do not wish to. After all, some individuals put together teams to develop the capacity of companies...)
...I see as a kind of "Platinum Plus"

No, it is not that. This is just a membership option made with the needs of companies in mind. (For the people who had been complaining about being treated like freelancers, when they are not.) Here is the initial announcement, from last year: http://www.proz.com/topic/65688
...pushing us "platinum members" down the pecking order, after we have already paid to be at the top of it!

No, that doesn't happen. Corporate members appear in the corporate directory. They may also appear in the freelance directory (if the profile type is "both"), but they do not push freelancers down in that directory, in lists of quotes, or anywhere else. The intention is not to create a situation of one-upsmanship.

Thanks for posting!

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Henry May 28, 2008

I appreciate you replying and explaining that.
And there was no intrusion being invited to join - just confusion, on my part!

Also, I thought Tadzio's point was better put than my own, and it would be interesting to know what your view on that is...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corporate Membership drive - devalues our investment in Platinum membership?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »