[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-02-14 19:08 GMT]

Ana Dubra
Ana Dubra  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congreso del Colegio de Traductores Públicos Feb 3, 2011

Ayer recibí el anuncio de que el CTPU está organizando un congreso para los días 9 y 10 de setiembre de 2011. Me parece una lástima que coincidan las fechas de los dos eventos.

MBelenPetruccio
MBelenPetruccio
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Info Feb 3, 2011

Hola, me gustaría que me mantengan al tanto de esta conferencia. Me encantaría ir! Thanks!!

gioconda quartarolo
gioconda quartarolo  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
la misma fecha Feb 3, 2011

Ana Dubra wrote:

Ayer recibí el anuncio de que el CTPU está organizando un congreso para los días 9 y 10 de setiembre de 2011. Me parece una lástima que coincidan las fechas de los dos eventos.

Hola Ana.
Yo también lo recibí y pensé lo mismo.

Sales Admin
Sales Admin

Local time: 03:22
English
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com First Hispano-American Conference 2011 - Montevideo, URY Feb 3, 2011

We agree and find it unfortunate the CTPU has chosen to schedule an event at the same time as ours. As you may be aware, the ProZ.com event was announced at the end-of-the-year powwow in Montevideo, it has been published on ProZ.com’s website for many days, and it was officially launched during the First Spanish Virtual Conference on January 27.

Since our interest is in providing the best possible event for our members in Uruguay, we would have preferred to cooperate, not compet
... See more
We agree and find it unfortunate the CTPU has chosen to schedule an event at the same time as ours. As you may be aware, the ProZ.com event was announced at the end-of-the-year powwow in Montevideo, it has been published on ProZ.com’s website for many days, and it was officially launched during the First Spanish Virtual Conference on January 27.

Since our interest is in providing the best possible event for our members in Uruguay, we would have preferred to cooperate, not compete, with the local association. ProZ.com and the event organizer were contacted by a board member of the CTPU this week to request that we cancel our already planned and announced event.

Frankly, it is difficult to understand what would have motivated the CTPU to take this approach, as it seems to be contrary to the interests of the local community. As far as we are aware, the CTPU has not made public any information regarding their event.

Our interest is in providing the best possible event for our members in Uruguay and the region, which is why we have been working on this event for many months now.

Stay tuned to the event page: http://www.proz.com/conference/203 for more details about the conference in the coming weeks.

Leslie MacFadyen
ProZ.com events project manager
Collapse

Silvia Masello Barreiro (X)
Silvia Masello Barreiro (X)  Identity Verified
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Announced event? Feb 3, 2011

Leslie,

Lamento mucho también que coincidan, pero en mi e-mail recién hoy recibí noticias sobre esta Conferencia.

Atentos saludos,

Silvia Masello

Sales Admin
Sales Admin

English
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com First Hispano-American Conference 2011 - Montevideo, URY Feb 3, 2011

Hi Ana -

Thanks for your response. I wanted to clarify exactly what has taken place with regard to our scheduled event in Uruguay.

The ProZ.com event was made public on our site on Jan 25 and then formally announced at our Spanish virtual event, attended by more than 300 Spanish translators on Jan 27. Ana Cizmich, acting as a board member representative for the CTPU, contacted first our local organizer on Sun Jan 30 and then myself on Tue Feb 1 with a request that Pro
... See more
Hi Ana -

Thanks for your response. I wanted to clarify exactly what has taken place with regard to our scheduled event in Uruguay.

The ProZ.com event was made public on our site on Jan 25 and then formally announced at our Spanish virtual event, attended by more than 300 Spanish translators on Jan 27. Ana Cizmich, acting as a board member representative for the CTPU, contacted first our local organizer on Sun Jan 30 and then myself on Tue Feb 1 with a request that ProZ.com cancel its 2011 event in Montevideo.

Ms Cizmich relayed that the CTPU was planning their own event for translators on Sep 9 & 10 and that there was not room for two such events for the Uruguayan translation community. We told her that canceling our event was not an option but that we could perhaps look into other dates for our event. Ms. Cizmich then surprisingly informed us that if the ProZ.com event date was changed, the CTPU intended to move their event to occur before whichever date ProZ.com decided to hold their event.

As many of you know, ProZ.com's mission is to provide tools and opportunities for its members to network, expand their businesses, improve their work and have fun. There are about 250 translators in Uruguay who are active in ProZ.com (and about 1500 registered), and the reason for ProZ.com to host an event in Uruguay is to serve them. We feel that what would make the most sense is to cooperate with the local association, as we have in many other places. However, when there is no opportunity to cooperate, as was clearly the case here, we hold our own events.

ProZ.com serves, and organizes events for, freelance translators throughout the world. It is surprising to us that a local person or group would attempt to pressure ProZ.com into *not* serving one segment of the global translator community.
Collapse

Silvia Masello Barreiro (X)
Silvia Masello Barreiro (X)  Identity Verified
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Lamentable Feb 3, 2011

Leslie,

Lamento mucho el tono de sus mensajes. No soy traductora de inglés pero entiendo lo que significan "intention" "to bully"...

Conozco personalmente a la Sra. Cizmich desde hace mucho años y también al resto de los integrantes de la Comsión Directiva del CTPU y me cuesta creer que no hayan tenido un espíritu colaborativo.

En 12 días vence mi membresía en Proz y todo esto contribuye a que no la renueve.

Me despido con un cordial s
... See more
Leslie,

Lamento mucho el tono de sus mensajes. No soy traductora de inglés pero entiendo lo que significan "intention" "to bully"...

Conozco personalmente a la Sra. Cizmich desde hace mucho años y también al resto de los integrantes de la Comsión Directiva del CTPU y me cuesta creer que no hayan tenido un espíritu colaborativo.

En 12 días vence mi membresía en Proz y todo esto contribuye a que no la renueve.

Me despido con un cordial saludo,

Silvia Masello
Collapse

Isabel Vidigal
Isabel Vidigal  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Y por que no es ... Feb 4, 2011

ProZ.com First Latin American Conference?

[Edited at 2011-02-04 01:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-02-04 01:18 GMT]

Christina Paiva
Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
First Latin American Conference Feb 5, 2011

Interesting!!! And Montevideo is such a great place to visit

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
There has been a cordial discussion between ProZ.com and CTPU Feb 8, 2011

Hi all,

A brief note to add to this thread: we have had a cordial discussion with Ana of the CTPU (an organization whose activities are not in conflict in any way with ProZ.com's, or vice versa), and we expect to resolve the conflict that arose in scheduling in a manner convenient to all. Expect an update soon.

Sales Admin
Sales Admin

English
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com First Latin American Conference 2011 - Montevideo, URY Feb 14, 2011

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support of the ProZ.com 2011 Montevideo URG event.

After additional discussions with Ana Cizmich, it became clear that she was intent on presiding over the first ever CTPU event during the 2011 calendar year.

In an effort to support local translation organizations and the CTPU, ProZ.com has made the decision to move our event to October 29th & 30th 2011. ProZ.com is hopeful that support for both events will be realized by t
... See more
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support of the ProZ.com 2011 Montevideo URG event.

After additional discussions with Ana Cizmich, it became clear that she was intent on presiding over the first ever CTPU event during the 2011 calendar year.

In an effort to support local translation organizations and the CTPU, ProZ.com has made the decision to move our event to October 29th & 30th 2011. ProZ.com is hopeful that support for both events will be realized by the ProZ.com community and CTPU members.

In addition, we are now expanding the scope to include our Brazilian friends, making this ProZ.com's First Latin American Conference.

Please visit the conference page here: http://www.proz.com/conference/203 for more information about the ProZ.com event.

Regards,

Leslie MacFadyen
ProZ.com events project manager
Collapse

Isabel Vidigal
Isabel Vidigal  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ah!! Great! Feb 15, 2011

Great you included Brazil, the only non hispanic country, but with such a potential...

Thank you, I was very sad to see you were not remembering us.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Laureana Feb 16, 2011

We have gotten good feedback on the decision to reschedule, and we are relieved that this seems to be working out. I want to thank Laureana, who is organizing the ProZ.com event, for making the decision, and for doing the work necessary to reschedule our event.

I would like to think that the cooperative spirit shown here bodes well for a continuing good relationship among the ProZ.com and CTPU communities in Uruguay.

Henry

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

1ra Conferencia Latinoamericana de ProZ.com - Llamado a presentaciones Feb 18, 2011

Quería recordarles que todavía está abierto el llamado a presentaciones para las Jornadas de Actualización para Traductores Latinoamericanos.

Estamos armando un programa más que interesante. Si desean compartir sus experiencias o conocimientos sobre un área particular que consideren puede ser de interés para la comunidad de traductores latinoamericanos pueden presentar su propuesta haciendo clic en "Call for speakers" en la parte izquierda de la página del evento.

... See more
Quería recordarles que todavía está abierto el llamado a presentaciones para las Jornadas de Actualización para Traductores Latinoamericanos.

Estamos armando un programa más que interesante. Si desean compartir sus experiencias o conocimientos sobre un área particular que consideren puede ser de interés para la comunidad de traductores latinoamericanos pueden presentar su propuesta haciendo clic en "Call for speakers" en la parte izquierda de la página del evento.

Pronto habrá más novedades.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ProZ.com First Latin American Conference 2011 - Montevideo, URY

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »