Ohrid conference 2009 - Travel
Thread poster: Paola Dentifrigi
Flo in London
Flo in London  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:48
English to French
Thanks Russell! Mar 19, 2009

Thanks Russell. Hristina suggested flying via Sofia, which might be another option... Having had 2 pretty bad experiences with connecting flights, I really would prefer a direct flight, but for some reason, this doesn't seem possible, unless the UK contingent decides to charter a plane (well, a Cessna then, as there's only 5 of us so far

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
London too Mar 20, 2009

Hello Flo/Russell

I too would be tempted to attend this conference, but flights from London don't look straightforward at all. If anyone finds anything remotely reasonable/convenient, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks

Claire

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:48
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tirana Mar 20, 2009

I am not working for the Albanian tourist office, but I think it's a good alternative, as it is only 139 km from Ohrid (see http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm). I'm thinking of flying there. I saw there are flights from London for 200 pounds.

Paola

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Going by train!? Mar 20, 2009

Hello!

I have been considering the possibility to get to Skopja by train. Like in the old, good "Interail"-times... ;o))

I found that the german railways have a good and cheap connection to Ljubljana.
And from there I found that there is a direct train to Skopje. It takes a lot of hours, but I was considering it.

My question to you is if you could find out how much does the train "Express 411" costs leaving Ljubljana daily at 21:05 on track 4 from t
... See more
Hello!

I have been considering the possibility to get to Skopja by train. Like in the old, good "Interail"-times... ;o))

I found that the german railways have a good and cheap connection to Ljubljana.
And from there I found that there is a direct train to Skopje. It takes a lot of hours, but I was considering it.

My question to you is if you could find out how much does the train "Express 411" costs leaving Ljubljana daily at 21:05 on track 4 from the slowenian capital down to Skopje and if there are discounts for return tickets.

I have hardly tryed to find it out, but I was unsuccesful. I would even call to slowenia, but I wonder if the speak english, german or spanish... (The same problem in spain and I would say they don't speak foreign languages)

Thank you very much!

Many greetings,
Helena

PS. I include the link where I found the information about the mentioned train:

http://www.skopjeonline.com.mk/detalno.asp?id=189&idpodkat=0&glavnoime=Train%20schedule&vtorid=193
Collapse

Gabriela Nikolova
Gabriela Nikolova  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
A bus? Mar 20, 2009

Dear Helena,

I couldn't find you information regarding the train, but here you can find information about bus schedules, unfortunately you can't see the prices in the English version (Macedonian only), but you can see the cities, and the prices for return tickets are approx eur 150-170.

http://www.sas.com.mk/index-1-1-1%20en.htm

regards,
Gabriela

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you very much Gabriela Mar 21, 2009

Hi Gabriela,

I thank you very much for this link.

The fact is, that I do not need to start from Germany, as I found a good deal with the german railway. So I only need from Ljubljana.

I also know the timetables for the direct train from the slowenian's capital to Skopje (A big bunch of hours, I can assure you!)...

Many years ago I went from my town in Spain to Paris by bus. The trip was such a nightmare, that ever since I do only take buses if
... See more
Hi Gabriela,

I thank you very much for this link.

The fact is, that I do not need to start from Germany, as I found a good deal with the german railway. So I only need from Ljubljana.

I also know the timetables for the direct train from the slowenian's capital to Skopje (A big bunch of hours, I can assure you!)...

Many years ago I went from my town in Spain to Paris by bus. The trip was such a nightmare, that ever since I do only take buses if there is absolutely no other way to reach the place I want. Otherwise I avoid it. But I thank you very much for your help and for surching for me!

Hopefully see you in Ohrid!
Helena
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
UK squad Mar 21, 2009

Just to update you, Flo and Claire, the Malev and Czech airline flights from Budapest and Prague to Skopje cost nearly as much as their two leg flights from London, so the budget airline option doesn't look attractive, especially with the added connection risks and airline accountability issues.
Flights to Tirana (BA or Malev) also looked closer to £300 than the £200 that Paola has (kindly) suggested.

Rodna Ruskovska
Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Hello UK :):):) some good news for you... Mar 22, 2009

Hi,

from the UK it is possible to take Easy Jet - http://www.easyjet.com/index.asp?lang=en - from London to Ljubljana at a good price (£100 for a return ticket and maybe even cheaper). From Ljubljana you could go to Belgrade (by train and take a bus to Skopje), Skopje (by bus from Ljubljana) or any other option you please (around 100 EUR). Or you could also get organized and rent
... See more
Hi,

from the UK it is possible to take Easy Jet - http://www.easyjet.com/index.asp?lang=en - from London to Ljubljana at a good price (£100 for a return ticket and maybe even cheaper). From Ljubljana you could go to Belgrade (by train and take a bus to Skopje), Skopje (by bus from Ljubljana) or any other option you please (around 100 EUR). Or you could also get organized and rent a car and have the trip of your life:):) (from Ljubljana to Skopje) - since you are in the Balkans - why not explore a bit

I recommend that all of you, not only colleagues from the UK, check Easy Jet since it has other good options (flights to Istanbul, Athens, Sofia are also available).

Good hunting,

Rodna
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ljubljana to Skopje Mar 25, 2009

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:
Hi,
From Ljubljana you could go to Belgrade (by train and take a bus to Skopje), Skopje (by bus from Ljubljana) or any other option you please (around 100 EUR). Or you could also get organized and rent a car and have the trip of your life:):) (from Ljubljana to Skopje) - since you are in the Balkans - why not explore a bit

Hello Rodna,
I just wanted to ask people interested on traveling by train from Ljubljana to Skopje, if we build a group to travel together. And back, of course ;o)) I am not much interested in travelling by car, but this could be an option if nothing remains.

I'd be very glad if interested people contact me or -much better- publish this here. The point is that I have never been in the Balkans before and was considering to go a little earlier and remain 2 days (or something) in Ljubljana and then travel to Skopje.

Hope we build a funny bunch! ;o))
Helena

Rodna Ruskovska
Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
just some small useful info on trains and buses :) Mar 25, 2009

Hi

In the Balkans it is quite different from the EU member-states regarding buses and trains - trains are quite cheaper but much slower and totally unpredictable (just an illustration - by bus, Belgrade - Skopje - it took me 6 hours, by train - the same distance took me 13 hours...). So just have this in mind...

Traveling by car is perfect if you really want to see the region. If you manage to get a gr
... See more
Hi

In the Balkans it is quite different from the EU member-states regarding buses and trains - trains are quite cheaper but much slower and totally unpredictable (just an illustration - by bus, Belgrade - Skopje - it took me 6 hours, by train - the same distance took me 13 hours...). So just have this in mind...

Traveling by car is perfect if you really want to see the region. If you manage to get a group together - renting a mini van would be ideal!!:)

All the best
Rodna
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Tirana to Skopje / Ocrida Mar 29, 2009

Hi Paola (and others travelling from Italy and surrounding areas)

If I come (and I'm certainly hoping this is the case - 85% certain) I'll be travelling from Palermo.
I've looked at flights from PMO to Skopje - €550
Palermo to Tirana - €350

- so if transport from Tirana to Skopje costs less than €200, Tirana seems a viable alternative, with the added plus of perhaps being able to see something more of a part of the world I know very little of.
<
... See more
Hi Paola (and others travelling from Italy and surrounding areas)

If I come (and I'm certainly hoping this is the case - 85% certain) I'll be travelling from Palermo.
I've looked at flights from PMO to Skopje - €550
Palermo to Tirana - €350

- so if transport from Tirana to Skopje costs less than €200, Tirana seems a viable alternative, with the added plus of perhaps being able to see something more of a part of the world I know very little of.

I had considered looking for flights from better connected Italian airports (FCO, Malpensa, Pisa, Florence) but not sure if its really worth the hassle for the very small savings (if any). My family have a house near Lucca, so travelling via Pisa/Florence might be an alternative.

I've had a look for websites with information about trains from Tirana to Skopje, but all the sites I've found so far seem to be more theoretical than practical - lots of "considerations" but little hard facts on times and fares.

Since you're also considering this route have you had any success in pinning down train/bus fares and times etc? What about car hire prices - although I agree with another poster that driving may be ill-considered.

Cheers.

Sandy Chisholm
Collapse

Gabriela Nikolova
Gabriela Nikolova  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Palermo/Florence-Thessaloniki? Mar 29, 2009

Hi Alexander,

I did some searches and you can check this:

Wed, Jul 1 Depart: 7:20 pm Palermo, Italy (PMO) Alitalia 1794
operated by OTHER AIRLINE 1 stop

Arrive: 12:10 am next day (this is not so god) Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) Alitalia 732 operated by AIR ONE

Mon, Jul 6 Depart: 7:30 pm Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) Alitalia 731
operated b
... See more
Hi Alexander,

I did some searches and you can check this:

Wed, Jul 1 Depart: 7:20 pm Palermo, Italy (PMO) Alitalia 1794
operated by OTHER AIRLINE 1 stop

Arrive: 12:10 am next day (this is not so god) Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) Alitalia 732 operated by AIR ONE

operated by AIR ONE 1 stop

Arrive: 10:50 pm Palermo, Italy (PMO) Alitalia 1791

Total costs including taxes and fees: eur 285 or usd 375.85
www.orbitz.com

If you are a group of let's say 4 people, you can easily take a taxi and share the costs, I'm not sure, but maybe eur 100 or 130, or you can check the bus schedule, there is a bus to Skopje or Bitola (Bitola is closer to Ohrid).

More about Thessaloniki - http://wikitravel.org/en/Thessaloniki

Or from Florence:

Wed, Jul 1 Depart: 7:10 am Florence, Italy (FLR) Alitalia 1676
1 stop

Arrive: 12:00 pm Thessaloniki, Greece (SKG) Alitalia 734 operated by AIR ONE

operated by AIR ONE 1 stop

Arrive: 10:25 pm Florence, Italy (FLR) Alitalia 1681

Total costs including taxes and fees: eur 315 or usd 413.7

And, you can check flights to Sofia too.

Have a nice trip,
Gabriela
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ljubljana/Tirana -> Ohrid Apr 1, 2009

I can see many of you are considering flying in to Ljubljana and travel overland to Ohrid. Mind you, this would take ages. Three international borders, some 1000 kilometers...

Apparently there are direct flights from Ljubljana to Ohrid 3 times a week.
http://ohd.airports.com.mk/default.aspx?ItemID=360

Renting a car/van in Tirana/Thessaloniki, etc.:
... See more
I can see many of you are considering flying in to Ljubljana and travel overland to Ohrid. Mind you, this would take ages. Three international borders, some 1000 kilometers...

Apparently there are direct flights from Ljubljana to Ohrid 3 times a week.
http://ohd.airports.com.mk/default.aspx?ItemID=360

Renting a car/van in Tirana/Thessaloniki, etc.:
You should double and triple check this possibility as a general rule for most car rental companies worldwide is that you're not allowed to take the car across the border.

I'm also considering flying in to Tirana and travel from there. Would anyone be interested in some detour in Southern Albania before arriving in Ohrid? (e.g. Dhurres / Berat / Gjirokaster)

Csaba
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Where else do you get adventure? Apr 1, 2009

Csaba Ban wrote:

Csaba

Dear Csaba,

Well I am not flying to Ljubljana, but I'm geting there by train, too.
And I've heard there is "only" about 1500 Km to Skopje.

I can't believe that someone like you, that have already been around the world finds this so terrible!! ;o))) ;o))) -Please do not be ungry, it's kind of joke-

At any case, if by the end of the conference I still did not arrive, you can try to find me out somewhere between the 5 borders I will cross. You migh use the words: "Helena also known as Mrs. Livingstone, I pressume" ;o))

Where else can you get adventure in Europe nowadays? I am very eager about!

All the best for you,
Helena

Ec Linguistic Solutions
Ec Linguistic Solutions
United States
Local time: 01:48
Albanian to English
+ ...
Tirana - Ohrid Apr 21, 2009

hi Nicole and all,

It would be great to share the trip together. Till now we are 3 traveling from Tirana to Ohrid. If there are other interested colleagues, I can take over the arrangement of this trip through the relevant agencies that make it every day. It takes about 5 hours driving till there. Ohrid is the first city after passing the border, so why would everybody intent to arrive in Skopje which takes more than 150 km to come over to Ohrid.

I suggest:

... See more
hi Nicole and all,

It would be great to share the trip together. Till now we are 3 traveling from Tirana to Ohrid. If there are other interested colleagues, I can take over the arrangement of this trip through the relevant agencies that make it every day. It takes about 5 hours driving till there. Ohrid is the first city after passing the border, so why would everybody intent to arrive in Skopje which takes more than 150 km to come over to Ohrid.

I suggest:

Tirana - Ohrid about 155 Km by booking a bus. Normally a return ticket Tirana - Skopje (more than 300km) costs 30Euro. I will have to check about Tirana - Ohrid!!!!

I suppose, for those coming from Italy or through Italy it would be better reaching Metropol Hotel - Ohrid from Tirana.

Anyway, traveling through Tirana interested colleagues do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Greetings,

Me

Nicole Maina wrote:

Elda CENALIA wrote:

I live in Tirana and I will not miss this opportunity to get together so any of you travelling any part of your trip Tirana - Ohrid, do not hesitate to et in touch with me.

Hi Paola and Elda,

I am considering to fly Cuneo-Tirana and I would really appreciate it if we could share a car or travel together with the bus or whatever from Tirana to Ohrid.

Reaching Skopje from Italy is really difficult and expensive...

Would anybody else be joining us? Possibly Marta from Switzerland?

Nicole

[Edited at 2009-02-17 14:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-21 17:36 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Ohrid conference 2009 - Travel

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »