No outgoing emails... (Staff: Fixing...)
Thread poster: Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 18:00
English to Spanish
Feb 10, 2008

Though I do receive, I can't send.

I use Outlook Express, and think something's wrong with the SMTP
server.

Please, help. I'll appreciate it.

My web: www.transmastery.com

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-11 21:04]

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:00
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Which SMTP server are you using? Feb 10, 2008

Hi Tadzio,

Are you using your Internet Service Provider's SMTP server or your web hosting provider's SMTP server?

If you're using your web hosting provider's SMTP server, use your ISP's instead as a temporary solution and send your hosting provider an e-mail through Hotmail, Gmail, etc. letting them know of the problem (or call them first thing in the morning on Monday). Or the other way around if you're using your ISP's server and your hosting provider has an availabl
... See more
Hi Tadzio,

Are you using your Internet Service Provider's SMTP server or your web hosting provider's SMTP server?

If you're using your web hosting provider's SMTP server, use your ISP's instead as a temporary solution and send your hosting provider an e-mail through Hotmail, Gmail, etc. letting them know of the problem (or call them first thing in the morning on Monday). Or the other way around if you're using your ISP's server and your hosting provider has an available SMTP server for its users, which is not that uncommon.

From the sound of it, you're right about the SMTP server, and if that's the case, there's nothing you can do short of harassing the company into fixing the problem right away. Yes, I know that that's impossible with at least two national ISP's in Mexico (and with a local one in Monterrey as well) - I've been there too.

Otherwise, I'm afraid your only solution is to use web-based e-mail either through your web hosting provider or ISP, if they have the option, or through Hotmail, Gmail, or something like that. Sorry, I know it's not a great solution, but I'm afraid there's not much else you can do.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Really, Feb 10, 2008

This is annoying!

I bought and registered a new domain for Proz.com Hosting to host my new website, and emails!

I also transferred and registered my old domain hosted by Yahoo (never had a problem with them!) to/for Proz.com to host it, included my largely known emails by my clients.

You know how important emails are for us. If you can't use them appropriately... then you better start selling tamales on the street!

What worries m
... See more
This is annoying!

I bought and registered a new domain for Proz.com Hosting to host my new website, and emails!

I also transferred and registered my old domain hosted by Yahoo (never had a problem with them!) to/for Proz.com to host it, included my largely known emails by my clients.

You know how important emails are for us. If you can't use them appropriately... then you better start selling tamales on the street!

What worries me more is my Yahoo domain already transferred to Proz.com Hosting... Yahoo already warned me that I could not get back to them, and they'll soon will stop servicing my emails and else...

I've sent a couple of ticket supports to Proz Hosting, and no answer has been received for almost two weeks.

Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I am also having SMTP problems Feb 11, 2008

My domain is also hosted at ProZ and for the past 3+ weeks I am having difficulty with sending email. It seems to be an intermittent problem, most of the time if I try a few minutes later, it goes through. But I agree, something is wrong, and it worries me, too, as this is my work email.
I also sent a support ticket on Jan 23, no answer so far.
I am using Thunderbird for email, but I don't think it matters.

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:00
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hold on, it may be something else... Feb 11, 2008

I had exactly the same problem (with Outlook 2003) a couple of months ago.

I spoke to Yahoo! (my domain sits with them), to Norton (suspected their Internet Security 2008 product) and to my ISP - with no results.

In the end, it appeared that the problem was with, hold tight, the modem.

I use cable. Replacing the faulty modem solved that outgoing mail problem instantly.

Cheers, Doron

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Doron Greenspan MITI, Feb 11, 2008

My three Yahoo-domain emails (www.traducciones-mexico.com) work just fine, both ways. My two ISP (Prodigy Infinitum) emails, perfectly. My wireless modem is new...

The only one email not working appropriately is that from www.transmastery.com, which happens to be hosted by the Proz.com Hosting, which s
... See more
My three Yahoo-domain emails (www.traducciones-mexico.com) work just fine, both ways. My two ISP (Prodigy Infinitum) emails, perfectly. My wireless modem is new...

The only one email not working appropriately is that from www.transmastery.com, which happens to be hosted by the Proz.com Hosting, which seem not to have the solution.

I tried the solution Marcelo Silveyra kindly suggests, but my ISP says that if the security port is unlocked, which would solve the problem, I'd be exposed to email theft and a lot more problems.

I am using Outlook Express 2003.

Well, I guess I'll have to wait until a new technology emerge, or have my domains back from Proz.com Hosting.

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
Outgoing connection Feb 11, 2008

Dear Tadzio,

I have been working to resolve the issues you've described. I'd like to confirm a few things with you. In outlook express, are you using mail..com as the outgoing server address? Also, do you have outlook express connecting to the outgoing server using a secure SSL connection or not?

If outlook express is giving you an error message, could you paste a copy of that message here?

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Best Regard
... See more
Dear Tadzio,

I have been working to resolve the issues you've described. I'd like to confirm a few things with you. In outlook express, are you using mail..com as the outgoing server address? Also, do you have outlook express connecting to the outgoing server using a secure SSL connection or not?

If outlook express is giving you an error message, could you paste a copy of that message here?

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Andrew, Feb 11, 2008

Andrew wrote:

"Connection with server failed. Account: ' Spanish Mastery ', Server: 'mail.transmastery.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Security (SSL): No, Socket error: 10051, Number of error: 0x800CCC0E"

I've tried it all devisable ways with no success. And, really, I'm finally giving up.

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
This error makes sense Feb 12, 2008

Hello Everyone,

Hi Tadzio. Since you had requested to change your hosted domain to traducciones-mexico.com, outlook will not receive a response from mail.transmastery.com. This results in the outlook error 0x800CCC0E. Seems our timing has caused a problem. I'm assuming there was a different error before we updated your domain.

Katalin, are you receiving an error stating that the server has too many open connections? I have also noticed this issue over the last
... See more
Hello Everyone,

Hi Tadzio. Since you had requested to change your hosted domain to traducciones-mexico.com, outlook will not receive a response from mail.transmastery.com. This results in the outlook error 0x800CCC0E. Seems our timing has caused a problem. I'm assuming there was a different error before we updated your domain.

Katalin, are you receiving an error stating that the server has too many open connections? I have also noticed this issue over the last few weeks as I use the same hosting server for my email. I'm investigating some changes that should reduce the "too many connections" problem.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, too many open SMTP connections Feb 13, 2008

Andrew wrote:

Katalin, are you receiving an error stating that the server has too many open connections?

Yes, this is exactly the problem, as I described in my support ticket.
See at:
http://www.proz.com/ticket/60961

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What is the IP address of the ProZ SMTP server? Feb 13, 2008

The reason I am asking this is because another strange thing happened a few days ago.
I have another email account at the local ISP, Verizon.
I sent an email from my ProZ hosted email acccount to my Verizon account.
For my greatest shock, it bounced back with this message:

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
host relay.verizon.net [206.46.232.11]: 571 Email from 207.127.117.56 is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam system. The email sender or Email Service Provider may visit http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block.

(I made that one line bold.)
I think they block a server if there is too much spam coming from it.
This incident worries me, because together with the frequent "too many open SMTP connections", it makes me wonder what the heck is going on on that server? What is it that makes it so busy, and why does it get blocked by spam-filters? Is it possible, that somebody (or several people) with a ProZ-hosted email account has a virus on his/her computer, and that pumps out endless amounts of emails and plugs up the server?

Andrew, please reassure me that this is definitely NOT the case.

My biggest worry is that other ISPs may block this IP address, too, if they suspect spam coming from it, which means some of my business emails may not get to their intended recipients, and that would hurt.

Katalin

[Módosítva: 2008-02-13 02:44]

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
Spam issues Feb 20, 2008

Dear Katalin,

There are several issues we must deal with when administering so many hosting accounts. A few of the main issues that cause us problems currently are the default addresses, auto-responders, and email forwarding.

When a hosting account is created it does not have a formal email address automatically. Instead there is an alias sharing the same user name as the overall hosting account. This alias can be use as an email account by changing the 'Default Addre
... See more
Dear Katalin,

There are several issues we must deal with when administering so many hosting accounts. A few of the main issues that cause us problems currently are the default addresses, auto-responders, and email forwarding.

When a hosting account is created it does not have a formal email address automatically. Instead there is an alias sharing the same user name as the overall hosting account. This alias can be use as an email account by changing the 'Default Address' to that user name. However, this is a huge problem as that alias cannot filter spam and catches any email sent to the hosted domain that does not have a valid destination.

For example, lets suppose I have a hosting account for anything.com and my user name is anyuser. If I set my 'Default Address' to anyuser, a spammer could send an email to [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected] and each would end up in my [email protected] account.

So we're accepting far more email than we really should and once a user introduces an auto-responder, we've just double the amount of email traffic. To make matters worse, it's common practice for spammer to use a fake From: address so each of those auto-response emails will go to some entirely different place. The unlucky recipient of those auto-responses is highly likely to mark them as spam which hurts our reputation because we were the source as far as they know.

The email forwarding is less common, but still a problem. If a user sets his or her hosting account to automatically forward all email to another account with a third party provider such as yahoo or gmail, those messages end up with our IP as the last server to touch the message. If the messages are spam, the third party providers will mark us as the source instead of the actual sender. This sort of thing can put us on a public block list pretty quickly and cause delivery problems for the other hosting accounts.

While it may be convenient to have all of your email in one place, or to be able to accept any emails sent to your domain, we need to make some changes to our hosting to limit the problems caused by these features.

On the topic of emails from compromised computers, I don't believe this is a cause of the issue. There are limits to the amount of email a user can send over a given time and it's easy to track high volume activity in the server's logs.

I understand your concerns and am frequently in contact with ISP's to ensure our email delivery is as reliable as possible. I've contacted verizon to have the block removed.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No outgoing emails... (Staff: Fixing...)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »