Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nov 12, 2007

I have a 2-part question.

First, I'm trying to configure Spam Assassin, and I don't understand these instructions:

"This feature's use [Spam Box] is generally discouraged in favor of sorting and deleting spam messages using your mail client. Without Spam Box you can configure SpamAssassin to mark your email with an identifying subject (e.g. ***SPAM***), which can then be filtered out into an appropriate location."

The "Configure Spam Assassin" page is very
... See more
I have a 2-part question.

First, I'm trying to configure Spam Assassin, and I don't understand these instructions:

"This feature's use [Spam Box] is generally discouraged in favor of sorting and deleting spam messages using your mail client. Without Spam Box you can configure SpamAssassin to mark your email with an identifying subject (e.g. ***SPAM***), which can then be filtered out into an appropriate location."

The "Configure Spam Assassin" page is very technical, and I haven't got a clue how to configure it, but particularly, I can't see any place where I could tell it to mark spam as ***SPAM*** so that it will be sent to me? So question #1, how does one do that?

Second, I'm very concerned that Spam Assassin will filter mail from clients (one, for example, regularly leaves the subject line blank, and I saw a blank subject line = spam in the program's rules). Where does the Spam Assassin put the spam it finds? Does it automatically delete it? I'd like to be able to look at the message headers (at least until I'm confident it's not erasing messages I want).

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this!
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Marking spam messages Nov 13, 2007

Hi Patricia,

I enabled SpamAssassin about two years ago and I’m very happy with it. It is very efficient. However, I chose to enable the Spam box as well because I find it more convenient to check the spam messages on the server, when I have time to deal with them. If I were to download all the spam messages, my email client (Thuderbird) would notify me of every such message.

I hadn’t used the marking option so far but I have just tried it and it worked fine (I have
... See more
Hi Patricia,

I enabled SpamAssassin about two years ago and I’m very happy with it. It is very efficient. However, I chose to enable the Spam box as well because I find it more convenient to check the spam messages on the server, when I have time to deal with them. If I were to download all the spam messages, my email client (Thuderbird) would notify me of every such message.

I hadn’t used the marking option so far but I have just tried it and it worked fine (I haven’t had to wait too long for some new spam messages ). All you have to do is to fill in the “rewrite_header subject ” field with something like SPAM, JUNK etc. And, of course, you should first enable SpamAssassin.

With this option, you should be able to receive all the messages that are sent to you (including the spam). Only that the latter could be directed to a spam folder, using the defined header subject.

Mihai
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you! Nov 15, 2007

Mihai Badea wrote:

Hi Patricia,

I hadn’t used the marking option so far but I have just tried it and it worked fine (I haven’t had to wait too long for some new spam messages ). All you have to do is to fill in the “rewrite_header subject ” field with something like SPAM, JUNK etc. And, of course, you should first enable SpamAssassin.

With this option, you should be able to receive all the messages that are sent to you (including the spam). Only that the latter could be directed to a spam folder, using the defined header subject.

Mihai

Mihai,

My apologies for not responding sooner! I've been so busy I haven't gotten back to this, but I will follow your excellent instructions once I do!

Best,
Patricia

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
You’re welcome Nov 15, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Mihai,

My apologies for not responding sooner! I've been so busy I haven't gotten back to this, but I will follow your excellent instructions once I do!

Best,
Patricia

No problem at all, Patricia. If you encounter problems, please let us know. I or other colleagues may be able to help.

Mihai

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spam Assassin: How to Configure?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »