Help with website wizard
Thread poster: Diana Lewis (X)
Diana Lewis (X)
Diana Lewis (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Chinese to English
Aug 31, 2007

Hi,

I'm very new to website creation, i.e., this is the first time I've ever tried to do it. I'm trying to use the Proz.com wizard and having a few problems that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1. domain name registration - I've been registered and paid twice for the same domain name. Is there anything I can do about that?

2. website creation - I followed the Proz wizard and now it won't let me go back and edit the title of the websit
... See more
Hi,

I'm very new to website creation, i.e., this is the first time I've ever tried to do it. I'm trying to use the Proz.com wizard and having a few problems that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1. domain name registration - I've been registered and paid twice for the same domain name. Is there anything I can do about that?

2. website creation - I followed the Proz wizard and now it won't let me go back and edit the title of the website, the fonts used, add images, add new pages, etc. How can I do this?

I'm using a MacBook with Safari. I also have access to Dreamweaver but don't really know how to use it yet.

I'd really appreciate your help!

Diana
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
building website Aug 31, 2007

Hi Diana,

When you use the ProZ wizard to build a website, technically it can't even be call a site, since it's just a page at proz.com and totally dependent.

In general, to build a real website, you will need a domain name, a web host and a software.

Yes, you've got a domain name, now you need a webhost. Here's a list of free webhosts along with their benchm
... See more
Hi Diana,

When you use the ProZ wizard to build a website, technically it can't even be call a site, since it's just a page at proz.com and totally dependent.

In general, to build a real website, you will need a domain name, a web host and a software.

Yes, you've got a domain name, now you need a webhost. Here's a list of free webhosts along with their benchmarks:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/php-hosting-comparison.php

Pick one and register and you will get a webspace.

And now you need a software to install on that webspace. I recommend WordPress.

It doesn't seem easy to make things work at first. But if you set all these up, publishing your contents on your OWN site is no more difficult than posing in a forum.

Here's my site http://www.jointheflatworld.com Come and have a look. If it's really what you want, please contact me. I'll be glad to help you out.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 18:04]
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
OH Aug 31, 2007

I realized that proz.com supplies fully functional webspace too. Sorry.

Diana Lewis (X)
Diana Lewis (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Change host? Aug 31, 2007

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for your reply, and I like your site!

I've actually given up with the wizard and have been teaching myself html all day so my page is starting to take shape. However, as I understand from your reply, should I change host from Proz? I was using the free hosting service they provide to platinum members - do you not think this is good enough? Do you suggest that I transfer my domain name to another host?

Thanks again for your help. I ma
... See more
Hi Dallas,

Thanks for your reply, and I like your site!

I've actually given up with the wizard and have been teaching myself html all day so my page is starting to take shape. However, as I understand from your reply, should I change host from Proz? I was using the free hosting service they provide to platinum members - do you not think this is good enough? Do you suggest that I transfer my domain name to another host?

Thanks again for your help. I may well be asking you again in a few days once I start working my way round this...

Diana
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry for late reply Sep 3, 2007

I'm new to this forum and it took me some time to find threads I participated.

I read about the proz hosting and it looks fine. It supports mySQL database. That means you can install WordPress. If will be helpful to learn HTML, which is really easy, but creating a nice looking website requires more than that.

Is your domain name working? What is it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with website wizard

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »