Homepage and controlpanel does not show ... (staff: 'your domain expired')
Thread poster: Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 17, 2006

I finally gor around to get some content on my proz-hosted www.geirvikan.com and designed a simple testpage. The proz publishing tools telles me it is published. But my webbrowse shows me a complete different page, looks like somebody else is using my domain name.
Please look at:

www.geirvikan.com/cp
... See more
I finally gor around to get some content on my proz-hosted www.geirvikan.com and designed a simple testpage. The proz publishing tools telles me it is published. But my webbrowse shows me a complete different page, looks like somebody else is using my domain name.
Please look at:

www.geirvikan.com/cp

What is going on?
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Submit a support request Dec 17, 2006

Hello,

For this kind of problem, I think you’d better submit a support request so that Proz staff can look into it as soon as possible.

I’ve checked your domain on BetterWhois, and it appears it is now registered to a company called Marketing Total S.A.

I can only think of two possibilities:

1) You didn’t
... See more
Hello,

For this kind of problem, I think you’d better submit a support request so that Proz staff can look into it as soon as possible.

I’ve checked your domain on BetterWhois, and it appears it is now registered to a company called Marketing Total S.A.

I can only think of two possibilities:

1) You didn’t renew on time, your domain expired and it was lawfully taken by the above company.

2) Your domain was stolen. If this is the case, there is almost nothing you can do about it unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money with lawyers. But, I hope the first possibility is the correct one. Thus, you could try to negotiate with the new owner, and if they are cooperative you may get your domain back for a reasonable amount of money.

I wish you good luck!

P.S. Here is a useful article for anyone who owns a domain and wants to stay safe from domain hijacking or theft.

[Edited at 2006-12-17 16:02]
Collapse

Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Part of Proz Platinum payment .... Dec 17, 2006

Well, I have kept up my payment of my Proz Platinum memebership, and Proz have confirmed this as a Proz hosted domain - very strange.
But I will submit it to Proz support

Thank you, Mihai!

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Domain registration not included in the membership benefits Dec 17, 2006

Hello again,

Hosting is indeed included in the ProZ.com membership, but domain registration is not (see http://www.proz.com/faq/hosting#host_price ). If you haven’t renewed your domain registration as well, this might explain why www.geirvikan.com now apparently belongs to somebody else. However,
... See more
Hello again,

Hosting is indeed included in the ProZ.com membership, but domain registration is not (see http://www.proz.com/faq/hosting#host_price ). If you haven’t renewed your domain registration as well, this might explain why www.geirvikan.com now apparently belongs to somebody else. However, something must have gone wrong because normally you should have got a warning that your domain was about to expire.
Hopefully Proz.com staff will be able to help you understand what exactly happened to your domain.

[Edited at 2006-12-18 01:11]
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 11:44
English
Your domain expired (you should have received notifications about the expiration) Dec 18, 2006

Hi GeirV,

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it appears your domain expired on November 19th. You should have received notification from ProZ.com and our domain reseller that your domain was expiring. As Mihai pointed out, there is a separate charge for domain registration.

The domain has now been registered by somebody else (it looks like a marketing company), and it can't be used again. But, if you would like to pick another domain name, please submit a support tic
... See more
Hi GeirV,

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it appears your domain expired on November 19th. You should have received notification from ProZ.com and our domain reseller that your domain was expiring. As Mihai pointed out, there is a separate charge for domain registration.

The domain has now been registered by somebody else (it looks like a marketing company), and it can't be used again. But, if you would like to pick another domain name, please submit a support ticket and we will switch over your hosting account to use the domain name you choose.

Best regards,
Justin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Homepage and controlpanel does not show ... (staff: 'your domain expired')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »