The links in the proz.mail at everyone.net are not going
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 22:21
English to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

I was wondering whether it is happening only on my comp or are the others also experiencing the same. Best Brandis

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Complete riddle Oct 18, 2006

Brandis,
can you be more precise and say what is it you call "links" and what their action you call "going"?

Thanks,
Magda

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is fairly simple, when the link goes Oct 18, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Brandis,
can you be more precise and say what is it you call "links" and what their action you call "going"?

Thanks,
Magda

Hi there, you get mail and there are hyper links or URLs etc., and click on them and something happens (either a new browser window opens displaying the content of that link or a site opens and the similar) this is called going, when the link functions. Since a few days the links are not going. A link can be leading to a thread or a poster or project and various things, it is just a link and you click and it leads you to somewhere (goes, going, functioning) . Best Brandis

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 16:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
As a proponent of International English ... Oct 18, 2006

... may I take this opportunity to demonstrate some of its advantages in 21st century global communication? This might, in passing, help Magda, Steffi and others in the formulation of their replies to the question posed by Brandis.

The above texts from Brandis translate as follows*:

I was wondering whether it is happening only on my comp or are the others also experiencing the same. Best Brandis

International English version:

Hyperlinks in e-mails from Proz.com containing URLs such as 'everyone.net' do not work.

I was wondering if the problem is restricted to my computer, or whether other site users have had the same experience.

Best regards,

Hi there, you get mail and there are hyper links or URLs etc., and click on them and something happens (either a new browser window opens displaying the content of that link or a site opens and the similar) this is called going, when the link functions. Since a few days the links are not going. A link can be leading to a thread or a poster or project and various things, it is just a link and you click and it leads you to somewhere (goes, going, functioning) . Best Brandis

International English version:

Hi there,

The e-mail messages that we receive from Proz.com may contain hyperlinks. If you click on one of these, and if the hyperlink contains a valid URL, something should happen. For example, a new browser window may open to display the content of the web-page associated with the URL. When this does happen we could say (colloquially) that the link 'goes'; a more formal expression would be 'the link works' or 'the link functions'. A link may lead to a forum thread, to a specific forum post, to a project, or to any other item on the web-site. You just click the link and the system takes you there!

For the past several days these links have not been working.

Best regards,
etc.

MediaMatrix

* I confess that it's been a while since I last translated anything so horrendously complicated into International English. What's more, I'm not entirely sure I've understood all of the source text... Please don't hesitate to point out any mistakes!

PS: My apologies to Brandis for hijacking this thread... which wasn't 'going' anywhere anyway!

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
OK! Oct 18, 2006

Thanks! Now I get the problem. I suspected it might be about links "being clickable" or not, but couldn't be sure...

Since my intention was to be helpful: Brandis, have you checked if your e-mails are html or plain text? If they are plain text, the links probably .. don't go.

HTH,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-10-18 21:09]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still doesn´t function Oct 19, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Thanks! Now I get the problem. I suspected it might be about links "being clickable" or not, but couldn't be sure...

Since my intention was to be helpful: Brandis, have you checked if your e-mails are html or plain text? If they are plain text, the links probably .. don't go.

HTH,
Magda

Hello Magda, The mail editor at the everyone.net offers either richtext editing or plain text editing, my option since I began at the proz.com was richtext editor, which was functioning fine till two days back. BTW Thank you Mediamatrix for highjacking the thread. Examples - TV / Camera/Kitchen machine / juicer etc., is not going - not functioning the way it is supposed to. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-10-19 02:10]

[Edited at 2006-10-19 02:11]

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 13:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Funny thing Oct 19, 2006

Hi Magda and Steffi,

I am a native English speaker and I understood Brandis perfectly well.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
how to get more feedback on your problems Oct 19, 2006

Brandis wrote:

Hi! this is colloquial computer jargon, I am used to and it is thoroughly understood by many professionals. If possible I certainly would like to be a 17 year old though. I run a very secure network and regularly communicate with about 15-20 professionals from various fields around the world. Best Brandis

Hi Brandis,
this is an international site used by thousands of professionals from around the world, the majority of which are not native speakers of English. This is why it is a good idea to write your contributions as clearly and concisely as possible, in good English, with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation so that the maximum number of people can immediately understand what you are trying to say and thus be able to offer feedback. The use of colloquial expressions and technical jargon may confuse your readers. As a self-professed native speaker of English, this should not present a problem for you.

Best regards,
Jill

P.S. The hyperlinks in my emails are functioning correctly.

[Edited at 2006-10-19 11:15]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One example from adult education Jill, Oct 19, 2006

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Hi! this is colloquial computer jargon, I am used to and it is thoroughly understood by many professionals. If possible I certainly would like to be a 17 year old though. I run a very secure network and regularly communicate with about 15-20 professionals from various fields around the world. Best Brandis

Hi Brandis,
this is an international site used by thousands of professionals from around the world, the majority of which are not native speakers of English. This is why it is a good idea to write your contributions as clearly and consisely as possible, in good English, with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation so that the maximum number of people can immediately understand what you are trying to say and thus be able to offer feedback. The use of colloquial expressions and technical jargon may confuse your readers. As a self-professed native speaker of English, this should not present a problem for you.

Best regards,
Jill

P.S. The hyperlinks in my emails are functioning correctly.
A new program is being introduced, hence the new schooling.
"In order to choose the right program settings, rightclick anywhere on the window, run-down to options, choose xxx settings, left click on the 3rd positon, save and restart" I think, one could reckon this working with out a physical teacher. This is certainly not part of translation, but this solution has prooved to be the best over years. It is colloquial and people understand what is being said. A linguist may or may not understand. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-10-19 12:45]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Magda, Oct 19, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

HTH,
Magda

what do you think can be done. I haven´t changed anything in my system settings, but the problem persists. Best Brandis

Magda Dziadosz
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Have no idea, I'm afraid :( Oct 19, 2006

Hello Brandis,
I've logged to my everyone.net account and checked: I don't seem to find anything in the options which could influence the display of links. Also, links in my (incoming) e-mails are working properly, that is if they are http:// thing, if only www - they don't (but that's probably normal).

So my guess is that if the links in your e-mails are properly formatted and don't work, then perhaps there i
... See more
Hello Brandis,
I've logged to my everyone.net account and checked: I don't seem to find anything in the options which could influence the display of links. Also, links in my (incoming) e-mails are working properly, that is if they are http:// thing, if only www - they don't (but that's probably normal).

So my guess is that if the links in your e-mails are properly formatted and don't work, then perhaps there is something in your browser settings?

Sorry, haven't found any clear solution.

Best,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-10-19 19:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »