Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:44
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 14, 2006

Hello,

Hope this post is in the right place...

I 'brewed' my own website as I cannot afford a webmaster and/or designer. As a result, my website is very primitive and somehow awkward, but the main trouble is that the pages seem to be different depending on the browser you use.

As I see them correctly in Firefox and Opera, they seem partially different within Internet Explorer. I tried to check and fix codes with a Firefox add-on (WC3), but I doesn’t seem
... See more
Hello,

Hope this post is in the right place...

I 'brewed' my own website as I cannot afford a webmaster and/or designer. As a result, my website is very primitive and somehow awkward, but the main trouble is that the pages seem to be different depending on the browser you use.

As I see them correctly in Firefox and Opera, they seem partially different within Internet Explorer. I tried to check and fix codes with a Firefox add-on (WC3), but I doesn’t seem to help. There should be no errors within my web pages, then why does IE not show up the bottom of the right column?

http://www.villalingua.com/italiano.htm

How can I fix this??
Thx!
Collapse

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
IE doesn't always follow the standards Sep 14, 2006

For some reason, IE tends to interpret some coding differently, ie. not according to the standards. That is why the same coding sometimes produces different results in IE and Firefox. It's not always easy to fix this. There are some websites that provide information on the most common bugs (for example this one: http://www.positioniseverything.net), but most of the time it's a matter of trial and er... See more
For some reason, IE tends to interpret some coding differently, ie. not according to the standards. That is why the same coding sometimes produces different results in IE and Firefox. It's not always easy to fix this. There are some websites that provide information on the most common bugs (for example this one: http://www.positioniseverything.net), but most of the time it's a matter of trial and error...

Good luck!
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A workaround Sep 14, 2006

Open your site in Dreamweaver (there is a trial too) here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

Then there search for conflicts using IE as viewer.

Regards

Fernando

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Looks ok to me Sep 14, 2006

I see exactly the same in IE than in Firefox. But you better change the layout to landscape, so visitors do not need to scroll so much.

M_a_r_i_n_a
M_a_r_i_n_a
cell heights Sep 14, 2006

Hello Joris,

the different browsers will never show your homepage the same, but there are always some "tricks" and "hacks" to prevent annoying differences.

I took a look at your homepage, and I think I found the problem (don't you mean the hidden information on the right?).

You have defined heights for the table cells on the right and Internet Explorer cannot read this correctly, so he just shows the first two cells (at least on my computer). If you like, y
... See more
Hello Joris,

the different browsers will never show your homepage the same, but there are always some "tricks" and "hacks" to prevent annoying differences.

I took a look at your homepage, and I think I found the problem (don't you mean the hidden information on the right?).

You have defined heights for the table cells on the right and Internet Explorer cannot read this correctly, so he just shows the first two cells (at least on my computer). If you like, you can send me per email ([email protected]) a zip file with your homepage and I will correct this small mistake for you (this weekend or next week).

Good luck for your activities!
Marina

[Edited at 2006-09-14 23:18]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
IE doesn't always follow the standards Sep 14, 2006

Percy Balemans wrote:

For some reason, IE tends to interpret some coding differently

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

Marc

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't always blame everything on IE6 ... Sep 14, 2006

Hi Joris,

I use IE6, and your pages display correctly in Italian but not in Dutch, French or English.

If I turn script debugging on, it finds an error in all language versions when the mouse goes over the Home or Contact links (top right).

For the 'Home' link, you should make sure the URL is correct (currently it is 'index.htm' - this appears to be correct, and it matches the link on the LH side of the page which works correctly...)

For the 'Co
... See more
Hi Joris,

I use IE6, and your pages display correctly in Italian but not in Dutch, French or English.

If I turn script debugging on, it finds an error in all language versions when the mouse goes over the Home or Contact links (top right).

For the 'Home' link, you should make sure the URL is correct (currently it is 'index.htm' - this appears to be correct, and it matches the link on the LH side of the page which works correctly...)

For the 'Contact' link, the problem is probably caused by an error in the code:
a href="mailto:%[email protected]"
where the %20 represents a space that should not be there.

Also, for both these links, you should check that the gif images mentioned in that part of the html code (Homelink.gif and Contact%20botton.gif) are actually available on the server, and that the code for the functions for imgOn('topnav_home') and imgOff('topnav_home') is present and correct.

If you get those problems sorted out, you may find that the pages display correctly.

It is easy to blame IE6 for everything, but it is important to remember that the browser is working in partnership with the webserver, and some webservers are better partners than others.

Some are very intolerant of scripting errors - others less so. If there are several errors while displaying a page the server/client combination sometimes gets 'confused' and stops processing before the page is complete.

I took a copy of your English page and checked it in Frontpage - it looks OK there and FrontPage reports no script errors or other problems other than those mentioned earlier.

I 'published' the English page on my local web server (MS-PWS) and when browsed with IE6 it looks OK (i.e. the 'missing' text was displayed correctly), 'despite' the Home and Contact button problems. But PWS is reputed to be blind to many script errors and especially those in more modern scripting languages.

It's possible, therefore, that it is not really IE6 that it causing the display failure, but your webserver's intolerance of scripting errors. So, eliminate the errors and it may all come good!

HTH

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-09-14 14:32]
Collapse

Joris Bogaert
Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much!! Sep 16, 2006

Thanks for all your help and tips!
I will try to fix the bugs and/or errors.

Thanks!

Joris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing webpages - different views in IE vs. Firefox/Opera

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »