https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/32056-hosting_about_to_expire_but_cannot_renew_because_i_am_not_full_platinum.html&phpv_redirected=1

Hosting about to expire, but cannot renew because I am not full platinum
Thread poster: Bruno Teixeira
Bruno Teixeira
Bruno Teixeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 5, 2005

Does this mean that I must register my domain with another company as soon as it expires at proz.com? Will I be able to do so immediately after the expiration? i.e. will it become available at once?

Many thanks!
Bruno

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Changing domain name registration and hosting May 10, 2005

Bruno Teixeira wrote:
My hosting is about to expire, but cannot renew because I am not full platinum. Does this mean that I must register my domain with another company as soon as it expires at proz.com?

The domain name should be in your name, not in Proz's name. It is a very shady practice of some hosting companies to register their clients' domains in the name of the company and not in the name of the client.

The hosting is a different thing. The hosting is basically the space in which your web site resides. Your domain name points to the hosting space, but is independent of it and you can change the settings of your domain without the authorisation or participation of your hosting company.

If you no longer wish to use Proz as your host, you should contact another host and buy a hosting contract (usually one year or more) with them. They will then provide you with a primary and secondary DNS address. Then you must contact your domain registrar (the company with which your domain is registered, usually indicated on a WHOIS query for your domain name) and update your domain's details with the new DNS addresses.

You can change host even while your existing hosting contract is stil valid (but you won't get your money back from your existing host).

It is a bad idea to wait until the domain name expires and then try to grab it before anyone else does. Domain hijackers have ways to grab expired domain names before you can reregister it. Always make sure your domain name's registration details and account is fully paid up; don't let it expire unless you don't want to use it any more.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 04:34
SITE STAFF
Domain renewals do not require platinum membership May 10, 2005

Bruno Teixeira wrote:
Does this mean that I must register my domain with another company as soon as it expires at proz.com? Will I be able to do so immediately after the expiration? i.e. will it become available at once?

Hi Bruno,

To host your domain with ProZ.com hosting, you must be a full platinum member. However, renewal and administration of your domain does not require platinum membership. There was a glitch in the domain renewal page that was preventing you from renewing your domain. I apologize for the trouble, but it should be corrected now.

As Samuel pointed out, hosting and domain registration are two different services. Please see this FAQ for more information about the difference between them: http://www.proz.com/faq/hosting#hosting_domain_vs_host

Your domain belongs to you; you can continue to manage it at ProZ.com as long as you wish, or transfer it to another domain registrar, whether or not you have platinum membership.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Bruno Teixeira
Bruno Teixeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 14, 2005

Ok, many thanks to both for your help!

Cheers,
Bruno

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hosting about to expire, but cannot renew because I am not full platinum

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »