How to interface with the FTP server
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 09:33
Feb 18, 2005

Hi:

I've set up my ftp accounts and enabled ftp access.

Now how do I provide users access to upload and download files onto and from the FTP server?

Is a Web-based ftp client required? Where can it be obtained, and how is it to be installed?

I'm afraid I didn't find an answer in the HOWTO file, maybe I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anil Gidwani

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:03
SITE STAFF
Use an FTP client such as WS FTP or Cute FTP Feb 18, 2005

Hi Anil,

To access your FTP server, use an FTP program (also known as an FTP client), such as WS FTP or Cute FTP. Links to download sites for these programs, as well as further information about using FTP with your hosting account, can be found in the FTP Howto document: http://www.proz.com/howto/212

I hope thi
... See more
Hi Anil,

To access your FTP server, use an FTP program (also known as an FTP client), such as WS FTP or Cute FTP. Links to download sites for these programs, as well as further information about using FTP with your hosting account, can be found in the FTP Howto document: http://www.proz.com/howto/212

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 23:03
English to Spanish
Windows resources Feb 20, 2005

I used to use an ftp client (Smart ftp) until I discovered that you can create an external volume in your Windows desktop within the Windows OS.

In Windows 2000, go to My Network Places, then double click on
Add Network Place and put the server's URL in it.

Later you add the ID and password and there you are: drag an drop from your desktop.

Other flavors of Windows might be somewhat different.

[Edited at 2005-02-22 14:01]

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 09:33
TOPIC STARTER
Uploading documents and not Web pages Feb 21, 2005

Hi:

Thanks for both the answers provided above. However, both seem to provide tips on how a tech-savvy person should upload Web pages.

Just to clarify my question:

I've set up my web site. Now I would like potential clients to be able to upload their documents to be translated, either for a quote or for an actual job.

The client may be completely tech-unsavvy. The client may not even have an ftp client or know how to set one up. The client
... See more
Hi:

Thanks for both the answers provided above. However, both seem to provide tips on how a tech-savvy person should upload Web pages.

Just to clarify my question:

I've set up my web site. Now I would like potential clients to be able to upload their documents to be translated, either for a quote or for an actual job.

The client may be completely tech-unsavvy. The client may not even have an ftp client or know how to set one up. The client may not want to use e-mail, or finds it more convenient to use the upload link provided.

I've used ProZ's ftp server features to set up anonymous ftp access, and I've provided a link on my Website for direct upload into the 'incoming' directory for my Website (See link "Quotes Ftp Server" on page http://www.anmol-translation-services.com/contact.html ). It is this link that does not seem to be working.

On other sites providing ftp access, when one clicks on the link, a dialog box asking the visitor to name a file to be uploaded appears. No such behaviour is seen when the above website link is clicked.

Does this need extra software to be installed?

Anil Gidwani.

[Edited at 2005-03-08 17:30]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to interface with the FTP server

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »