https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/294175-seeking_advice_on_installing_wordpress_on_my_site_hosted_by_prozcom.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Seeking advice on installing WordPress on my site hosted by ProZ.com
Thread poster: Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh
Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Spanish to English
Nov 4, 2015

Dear friends,
I have my website uploaded to the proz hosting which works ok, but I want to change my website and use wordpress; I have just uploaded wordpress to 'public_html/' and then entered in the browser the wp-admin.... to install it and I get webpage not available.
Now I have created a database for it, but it seems I am having some difficulty here.
Can somebody please help me?
many thanks

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordpress Nov 4, 2015

Do you have a quick install option in your cPanel? I have limited (and frustrated) experience with Wordpress, but the best option for me has been to let the computer do everything.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress. Nov 4, 2015

Hi there.
No I have had to install it manually to the proz hosting space.
regards

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 4, 2015

I am wondering as I already have the old website uploaded and running, do I have to delete those file?
regards

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 4, 2015

I have now removed the database.

I am trying to make a wordpress website using my own domain name.
I would like as one would normally type in the domain name and rather than static pages, I would like it to be the wordpress website.
Many thanks in advance.

Patrick Porter
Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 02:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
wp-config.php Nov 4, 2015

Have you done the step described here:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Step_3:_Set_up_wp-config.php

Also, the same page contains full instructions for a manual install. I've successfully run WP on Proz hosting, and if I remember correctly I think it was by doing the manual install.

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 5, 2015

@Patrick.
I will try again today following what you have posted .
Many thanks.

Ps.- do I need to delete any old files, as my old website is still running?
regards

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Deleting files to install WordPress Nov 5, 2015

At the very least, I'd expect you will have a file "index.html" or similar - WordPress will have its own "index.php". You have to delete any conflicting index file to be certain that WordPress gets in first.

The cleanest thing would be to move your old site somewhere else, then unpack WP into the (now empty) directory, so everything there is from WordPress itself and nothing else.

(That assumes you actually have a WordPress site to install and replace it: if you are jus
... See more
At the very least, I'd expect you will have a file "index.html" or similar - WordPress will have its own "index.php". You have to delete any conflicting index file to be certain that WordPress gets in first.

The cleanest thing would be to move your old site somewhere else, then unpack WP into the (now empty) directory, so everything there is from WordPress itself and nothing else.

(That assumes you actually have a WordPress site to install and replace it: if you are just starting out with it, I would have suggested leaving the old site in place, putting WordPress in a subdirectory like public_html/wp/ and working on it from there. Later, once you're happy with the new site, you swap the two over - that way, you aren't left with your public persona consisting of an error message or a half-built WP site!)

Oh, don't forget to enable sensible-looking Permalinks once you do have it installed and working: too many sites have pages like proz.com/index.php?p=123 instead of proz.com/2015/11/wordpress-stuff/ - and that latter version scores more highly in search engines, as well as looking better to visitors!
Collapse

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress help Nov 5, 2015

please help.
I have followed instructions and got the following error:
"Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at
... See more
please help.
I have followed instructions and got the following error:
"Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk Port 80"

can anybody help me?
many thanks
Collapse

TechStyle
United Kingdom
Wrong URL Nov 5, 2015

If you put it in a subdirectory, like "wordpress", you need to remember to include that in the URLs as well - try this:

http://www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 5, 2015

James Sutherland wrote:

If you put it in a subdirectory, like "wordpress", you need to remember to include that in the URLs as well - try this:

http://www.lukemershtranslations.co.uk/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

many thanks.

- now need to see what the database problem is.

TechStyle
United Kingdom
Database issue Nov 5, 2015

You mentioned earlier having removed it again - maybe you need to put it back now?

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 5, 2015

@James.
database established now , just trying to work out the issues with 'not able to select X database' or possibly it could be something to do with permissions.

TechStyle
United Kingdom
Database issue redux Nov 5, 2015

That sounds like progress - that means it's connecting to the database server OK, but either the database itself doesn't exist or the user account it's using doesn't have permission to access that database. Do the details you gave WP match the ones you see for MySQL in cPanel?

Luke Mersh
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
wordpress Nov 5, 2015

James Sutherland wrote:

That sounds like progress - that means it's connecting to the database server OK, but either the database itself doesn't exist or the user account it's using doesn't have permission to access that database. Do the details you gave WP match the ones you see for MySQL in cPanel?

@James
Fixed it many thanks...
I missed out the prefix to the database name.
regards

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking advice on installing WordPress on my site hosted by ProZ.com

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »