Linking from website to FTP document
Thread poster: Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:16
French to English
Jan 26, 2005

I've succeeded in getting anonymous access to my FTP server set up but I'm having less success creating a link on my website that would allow someone to download my CV (on my FTP server in MS Word format) with a click and "save target as". Does any one have any suggestions a HTML newbie might understand. I've tried setting the link as ftp.mydomain.com and variations thereof but no luck.
Many thanks in advan
... See more
I've succeeded in getting anonymous access to my FTP server set up but I'm having less success creating a link on my website that would allow someone to download my CV (on my FTP server in MS Word format) with a click and "save target as". Does any one have any suggestions a HTML newbie might understand. I've tried setting the link as ftp.mydomain.com and variations thereof but no luck.
Many thanks in advance
Wayne
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Normal link will do Jan 26, 2005

http://www.mydomain.com/document.doc
will let them download the doc-file (if its there).
Regards
Heinrich

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Making anonymous FTP URLs Jan 26, 2005

Hi Wayne,

A URL for an FTP site should look like this:

ftp://username@ftp-server

The anonymous FTP user for the domain example.com would be [email protected], so the URL link for that site would be:
... See more
Hi Wayne,

A URL for an FTP site should look like this:

ftp://username@ftp-server

The anonymous FTP user for the domain example.com would be [email protected], so the URL link for that site would be:

ftp://[email protected]@ftp.example.com

However, not all browsers support this FTP URL format.

As Heinrich notes, the easiest solution is to upload your CV to your web site (in the public_html directory), and provide a standard http URL to access it.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Wayne Clark
Wayne Clark  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Link shows but IE can't open it Jan 26, 2005

I've followed the suggestion you and Heinrich made and simply applied the standard html URL to my CV, which I uploaded to public_html, rather than going the FTP route. The link shows up correctly when I pass my mouse over it. However, when I right click on the link and choose Save Target As it looks like the download is starting but I immediately get a message from IEexplorer saying that it was unable to open the file, that it is either unavailable at the moment or can't be found. Please try lat... See more
I've followed the suggestion you and Heinrich made and simply applied the standard html URL to my CV, which I uploaded to public_html, rather than going the FTP route. The link shows up correctly when I pass my mouse over it. However, when I right click on the link and choose Save Target As it looks like the download is starting but I immediately get a message from IEexplorer saying that it was unable to open the file, that it is either unavailable at the moment or can't be found. Please try later.
Thanks,
Wayne
Collapse

mmsloboda (X)
mmsloboda (X)
Local time: 06:16
Check path Jan 27, 2005

The error says you have the wrong address in the link. Check your pathname, including upper/lower-case if the ISP uses Linux.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linking from website to FTP document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »