Alan Boydell
Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:03
French to English
+ ...
Dec 31, 2004

Hi there,

I have experienced problems trying to create a forwarder for an address for which a POP account already exists. According to all online documentation I can lay my hands on and all tutorials I have read on cPanel, emails sent to this address should be stored in the POP account AND be forwarded to an address of my choosing. What happens is that the email is delivered to the POP account INSTEAD of being forwarded to my specified address.

The same occurs when I se
... See more
Hi there,

I have experienced problems trying to create a forwarder for an address for which a POP account already exists. According to all online documentation I can lay my hands on and all tutorials I have read on cPanel, emails sent to this address should be stored in the POP account AND be forwarded to an address of my choosing. What happens is that the email is delivered to the POP account INSTEAD of being forwarded to my specified address.

The same occurs when I set up two separate forwarders for a same address. Only the first forwarder applies and the second is thoroughly ignored.

Example 1:
POP account set up for: [email protected]
Forwarder set up: [email protected] --> [email protected]
Outcome: emails sent to [email protected] will be delivered to the POP account exclusively.

Example 2:
Outcome: emails to [email protected] will be delivered to [email protected] exclusively.

I could be wrong but I don't believe this to be normal behaviour. Who should I turn to? Has this to do with cPanel or does it lie with the hosting provider? Has anyone else experienced such problems? Am I just a dumbass?

So many questions without satisfactory answers…

Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Alan
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:03
SITE STAFF
Can't reproduce problem with your account; maybe trouble with free email providers Dec 31, 2004

Hi Alan,

I ran some tests on your account and I am not seeing this behavior.

Example 1:
POP account set up for: [email protected]
Outcome: emails sent to [email protected] will be delivered to the POP account exclusively.

I set up a forwarder for info@{yourdomain.com} to my own email address and sent a test. The test message was delivered to both my email address and to your info POP account.

Example 2:
Outcome: emails to [email protected] will be delivered to [email protected] exclusively.

I set up two forwarders from me@{yourdomain.com} to two different email addresses. Test messages were received by both.

I suspect the problem is that you are experiencing delays or filtering in your free email services. If you want me to track down specific test messages you send to specific addresses, please submit a support request with details: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&type=hosting

Happy New Year,

Jason

Alan Boydell
Alan Boydell  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:03
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Narrowing it down Jan 4, 2005

Thanks for the help Jason.

First of all, let me confirm what you suggest up above: it transpires that there is indeed nothing wrong with the cPanel forwarding services. The problem only occurs when I try to forward to one particular email address.

The message I receive from the Mailer Daemon is the following: "host lookup did not complete: retry timeout exceeded". This happens in two situations:

1. When I try to send an email to an address @bouygtel.fr usin
... See more
Thanks for the help Jason.

First of all, let me confirm what you suggest up above: it transpires that there is indeed nothing wrong with the cPanel forwarding services. The problem only occurs when I try to forward to one particular email address.

The message I receive from the Mailer Daemon is the following: "host lookup did not complete: retry timeout exceeded". This happens in two situations:

1. When I try to send an email to an address @bouygtel.fr using my smtp mail.mydomain.com.
(If I change the outgoing address to my ISP's smtp (smtp.wanadoo.fr), emails sent to @bouygtel.fr work just fine. Emails to other servers going through mail.mydomain.com also seem to work fine.)

2. When an email is forwarded to an address @bouygtel.fr from my domain cPanel
(e.g. whereas an email sent directly from my @laposte.net account to my @bouygtel.fr one arrives just fine, an email sent from the same account to a @mydomain.com that forwards to my @bouygtel.fr account returns the aforementioned error message)

I hope this makes sense.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:03
SITE STAFF
bouygtel.fr having name server problems Jan 5, 2005

Hi Alan,

It appears that bouygtel.fr is having trouble with its name servers. In tests from systems on both coasts of the US, attempts to connect to each of the domain's three name servers fail (with three different errors). Your ISP may still have cached name data for bouygtel.fr, which would allow them to continue to contact bouygtel.fr's mail servers for a few days. I recommend that you contact the support staff at bouygtel.fr to see if they can help resolve the problem. If that
... See more
Hi Alan,

It appears that bouygtel.fr is having trouble with its name servers. In tests from systems on both coasts of the US, attempts to connect to each of the domain's three name servers fail (with three different errors). Your ISP may still have cached name data for bouygtel.fr, which would allow them to continue to contact bouygtel.fr's mail servers for a few days. I recommend that you contact the support staff at bouygtel.fr to see if they can help resolve the problem. If that still doesn't help, please submit a support request: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&type=hosting

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duplicating emails: Forwarder for POP account not working

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »