Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 18, 2004

I'm trying to get e-mails with my e-mail client. All settings are made according to information given in Howto "Hosting: Using email".
After I can see that "Authorization was successful" the status "Getting number of messages" stays for hours, never showing how many messages I have, etc.
What's wrong and what can be done to solve the problem?

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Where do I start..... Dec 18, 2004

This is the type of problem that would require a person with IT-nous to sit down with you and step by step trouble shoot the (I assume POP3) mail downloading process on your PC.

If you would like a dead easy way of checking your mail, let me point you in the direction of Popcorn which you will find (free of charge!) at www.ultrafunk.com

Popcorn is another mail client without any particu
... See more
This is the type of problem that would require a person with IT-nous to sit down with you and step by step trouble shoot the (I assume POP3) mail downloading process on your PC.

If you would like a dead easy way of checking your mail, let me point you in the direction of Popcorn which you will find (free of charge!) at www.ultrafunk.com

Popcorn is another mail client without any particular features but its operation is very simple and its logging is very clear.

Speaking of logging; see if you can activate and read logging of your current mail client, just to see how far it is getting.

In Outlook Express 6 for example, this is found in Tools/Options/Maintenance/Troubleshooting and select Mail and Imap, just in case.

I would guess your problem might be
A). Authorization
B). Using Imap instead of POP3 or vice versa
C). Bizarre routing problems (are you behind a firewall for instance).
D). A combination of the above

But as above, this is impossible to figure out without knowing more about your mail set-up.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
German to English
+ ...
Check with free account? Dec 18, 2004

If you have not altered the settings on your e-mail client from when you were getting your mail properly, it might be as well to check with your service provider first, to see if the problem isn't with them.

Otherwise you could set up a free POP account with Yahoo or Postaccess or free IMAP account with Fastmail, send an email to yourself and see if you can download it with your email client.

(I use Thunderbird, incidentally)

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:04
SITE STAFF
Try checking with webmail Dec 18, 2004

Hi Natalya,

Sometimes a very large or corrupted email in an inbox can cause a mail client to behave this way. Try logging in to your webmail interface and deleting any spam or virus messages that you find in your inbox. If a very large message is in your inbox, try moving it to a different folder. Then check your mail with your mail client again to see if that resolved the problem.

Best regards,

Jason

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some details... Dec 18, 2004

May be I have to give some details...
I have just (1-2 days ago) set up my hosting and e-mail account on ProZ. First there were no e-mails and I saw "0" on the same stage (Checking number of messages). Than I have swtiched my ProZ notifications from the old e-mail address to ProZ's one. After I saw first two messages (I even saw their headings) and allowed my e-mail client to receive them, something happened, I neither did receive them nor can receive other messages. (So I switched all not
... See more
May be I have to give some details...
I have just (1-2 days ago) set up my hosting and e-mail account on ProZ. First there were no e-mails and I saw "0" on the same stage (Checking number of messages). Than I have swtiched my ProZ notifications from the old e-mail address to ProZ's one. After I saw first two messages (I even saw their headings) and allowed my e-mail client to receive them, something happened, I neither did receive them nor can receive other messages. (So I switched all notifications back to my old, not ProZ's e-mail).
As for web-mail: now I have 0 messages, as nobody still knows about this address... (BTW those 2 messages also disappeared...)
But as in case with my other e-mail accounts (I have 9 of them in my e-mail client) I should at least receive 0 on the same stage of checking number of messages, but not get stuck...

Taking into account that all other accounts work fine, I assume that I should ask ProZ support...

[Edited at 2004-12-18 16:15]
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:04
SITE STAFF
Check web mail for your additional email accounts Dec 18, 2004

Hi Natalya,

Your main email account is empty, but you created an additional email account that has mail waiting for you. You can find information about how to log in to your additional email accounts using web mail or your mail client in the "maintaining email accounts" section of the mail howto: http://www.proz.com/howto/203#account_maint

If you still have trouble ac
... See more
Hi Natalya,

Your main email account is empty, but you created an additional email account that has mail waiting for you. You can find information about how to log in to your additional email accounts using web mail or your mail client in the "maintaining email accounts" section of the mail howto: http://www.proz.com/howto/203#account_maint

If you still have trouble accessing your email, please submit a support request: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&type=hosting

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting... Dec 18, 2004

There is only one e-mail account (on ProZ hosting) I created myself. I do not know anything about the second one. So how can I check it?

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Dec 18, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:
You can find information about how to log in to your additional email accounts using web mail or your mail client in the "maintaining email accounts" section of the mail howto: http://www.proz.com/howto/203#account_maint

For some reason "Mail -> Add/Remove Accounts" doesn't work for me. I can't login there using my hosting login and password...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with getting e-mails by e-mail client

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »