Is this possible? (Use Proz as backup MX record)
Thread poster: Kurt Hammond
Kurt Hammond
Kurt Hammond  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
Japanese to English
Nov 25, 2004

I currently host my own mail and web services. However, sometimes my site is down and when that happens email to my site queues as the server specified in the DNS MX (mail exchanger) record is not available.
Does anyone know of any way I could take advantage of ProZ hosting to set as my backup MX?

I currently own www.translatejp.com and my name servers are hosted at no-ip.com, which dynam
... See more
I currently host my own mail and web services. However, sometimes my site is down and when that happens email to my site queues as the server specified in the DNS MX (mail exchanger) record is not available.
Does anyone know of any way I could take advantage of ProZ hosting to set as my backup MX?

I currently own www.translatejp.com and my name servers are hosted at no-ip.com, which dynamically adjusts records according to whatever IP address my network connection has. It's also possible to manually enter any number or type of records, including MX. I guess the question then is: is it possible to have ProZ.com accept translatejp.com mails if the primary mail server (mine) is not reachable. Sure, they won't reach me automatically when my site comes online but presumably I would be able to go to the Proz.com servers and pickup those messages.

Maybe an odd question, but curious anyway.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 07:38
SITE STAFF
Secondary MX possible, but probably not what you want Nov 29, 2004

Hi Kurt,

ProZ.com hosting does not provide secondary MX services at this time. I could manually set up a secondary mail server for you, but it would only spool mail for you while your primary MX server was down--you would not be able to check your mail until it had been delivered to your primary mail server. Since the sending mail servers also spool mail for you until your primary mail server becomes available, I don't think this would improve service for you in any way.

... See more
Hi Kurt,

ProZ.com hosting does not provide secondary MX services at this time. I could manually set up a secondary mail server for you, but it would only spool mail for you while your primary MX server was down--you would not be able to check your mail until it had been delivered to your primary mail server. Since the sending mail servers also spool mail for you until your primary mail server becomes available, I don't think this would improve service for you in any way.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,

Jason
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this possible? (Use Proz as backup MX record)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »