Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:02
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Bandwidth burstable to at least 3Mb/sec Nov 7, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I just tried to download a bigger file (approx. 11 MB) via ftp from my account, but the average speed I got (using Internet Explorer as download client) was not very good. I reached only approx 1100 kbit/s (means half of my bandwith, so it is not my Internet connection). Is this OK or did you intend to allow higher download speeds, which would be very welcome from anybody I think.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Uploading works at approx. 190 kbit/s (24 kB/s) using PSFtp, which is half of my upstream bandwith too...

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for posting your download metrics. As far as I know the hosting system has no caps on download rates. ProZ.com has a burstable Internet connection, which means that higher data rates are available on demand when we need it. I have seen our connection burst to 3Mb/sec in the past, although theoretically even faster speed is available. I don't see any excessive bandwidth usage around the time of your tests.

It's possible that the bottleneck was somewhere on the Internet between you and the hosting server. I would be interested to see if you are able to get faster speeds at different times. If you find that you are consistently unable to download at more than 1100 kbit/s from the hosting server I'll look harder for any possible download rate restrictions.

Best regards,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I tested once again now (18:00 GMT+1) Nov 7, 2004

From ProZ ftp - the same speed, with top speed 1300 kbit/s
From Microsoft Windows Update (european page) top speed 2260 kbit/s but not less than 2200 kbit/s (all download speeds).

Similar speed (a bit slower, with few drop-outs to 500 kbit/s) from Office Update.

I´ll check uploading and downloading later, but it does not seem, that I have limitations on my Internet connection or the configuration of my PC.

Regards
Jerzy

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Updated email client configuration section of mail howto Nov 7, 2004

Hi Chance,

I have updated the email client configuration section of the mail howto to add clarification. Jerzy is correct about SMTP authentication and the mail server names to use. If you have set up additional email accounts, you would access them in the way he describes (Username: user+yourdomain.com). To access your default hosting email account, simply use the login username and password for your main hosting account.
... See more
Hi Chance,

I have updated the email client configuration section of the mail howto to add clarification. Jerzy is correct about SMTP authentication and the mail server names to use. If you have set up additional email accounts, you would access them in the way he describes (Username: user+yourdomain.com). To access your default hosting email account, simply use the login username and password for your main hosting account.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Before I log in... Nov 7, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

PS
With IE you have first to enter the addres, then, after IE has opened it, you need to login via File-menu (at least so it works with mine).

[Edited at 2004-11-07 16:26]

Wehn I entered the address, there is a message box saying that I could not connect to ...it was a private site ...

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Looking into Horde bug Nov 7, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
trying to access webmail via Horde, I get the following error message: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _() in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/config/registry.php on line 86
However, with the previous configuration (in August 04) I could access my mailbox via Horde. What happened?

Hi Jerzy,

It looks like Horde is trying to use the Gettext localization library which is not compiled into Apache. I am recompiling Apache with Gettext support, hopefully that will resolve the problem. Hosting users may be briefly unable to view their web sites while Apache is restarted.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Using anonymous FTP Nov 7, 2004

Hi Chance,

Jerzy was spot-on in his description of anonymous FTP.

To allow anonymous FTP access to your FTP server, first enable anonymous FTP in your control panel. Log in to your control panel, then go to FTP Manager -> Setup Anonymous FTP Access.

To allow anonymous users to read files in your "public_ftp" directory, tick the checkbox next to "Allow anonymou
... See more
Hi Chance,

Jerzy was spot-on in his description of anonymous FTP.

To allow anonymous FTP access to your FTP server, first enable anonymous FTP in your control panel. Log in to your control panel, then go to FTP Manager -> Setup Anonymous FTP Access.

To allow anonymous users to read files in your "public_ftp" directory, tick the checkbox next to "Allow anonymous access to ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com".

To allow anonymous users to upload files to your "public_ftp/incoming" directory, tick the checkbox next to "Allow anonymous uploads to ftp://ftp.yourdomain.com/incoming".

After enabling anonymous FTP access, users can log in to your FTP server with the username "anonymous@yourdomain.com" and an empty password.

Do not be alarmed by the following message at FTP login time: "This is a private system - No anonymous login". This refers to the global "anonymous" account, which is disabled. Anonymous access is still allowed to hosted websites using the above method.

I hope this helps.

Jason
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are using Internet Explorer also? Nov 7, 2004

chance wrote:
Wehn I entered the address, there is a message box saying that I could not connect to ...it was a private site ...

Click OK, then go to File-menu of IE and choose "Login as" and login with [email protected] using anonymous as password. This works, I´ve just checked.
Remember not to check the box "anonymous", as then IE sets the username to anonymous, which is incorrect for ProZ ftp.

But why don´t you set a dedicated ftp account with "real" username and password? Thats quite easy.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Horde works now again Nov 7, 2004

Jason Grimes wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
trying to access webmail via Horde, I get the following error message: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: _() in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/config/registry.php on line 86
However, with the previous configuration (in August 04) I could access my mailbox via Horde. What happened?

Hi Jerzy,

It looks like Horde is trying to use the Gettext localization library which is not compiled into Apache. I am recompiling Apache with Gettext support, hopefully that will resolve the problem. Hosting users may be briefly unable to view their web sites while Apache is restarted.

Best regards,

Jason

It´s OK again, thank you.

Regards
Jerzy

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I can´t find the difference Nov 7, 2004

Hello Jason, I do not see cheddar anywhere, does it automatically mean I am on the new hosting system? and the mail says something about blue.host.com and the mail is stuck. Just now I have tried to get hold of AWPANEL membership and they have reverted with yet another message my mail is not going. Since I was checking cheddar the last 10 days and wondering that there were absolutely no hits / visitors at all. the new panel delivers me a few statistics. Optic is not much different from that of c... See more
Hello Jason, I do not see cheddar anywhere, does it automatically mean I am on the new hosting system? and the mail says something about blue.host.com and the mail is stuck. Just now I have tried to get hold of AWPANEL membership and they have reverted with yet another message my mail is not going. Since I was checking cheddar the last 10 days and wondering that there were absolutely no hits / visitors at all. the new panel delivers me a few statistics. Optic is not much different from that of cheddar. Do you think you could look into this yourself. I am not very sure about the functionality of the anonymous ftp. with cheddar it didn´t function at all. Hence I was uploading finished to various ftp accounts of the outsourcer.
Rgds,
Brandis
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Uploading at the moment (20:15 GMT+1) Nov 7, 2004

with 230-256 kbit/s, which means approx. 2/3 of my bandwith of 384 kbit/s. But I must admit I have never reached this, the highest speed I can remember was something about 310 kbit/s...

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Download from ftp Nov 7, 2004

Someone downloaded files I uploaded to my ftp. He told me to have 2 mbit/s connection. He used 33 minutes for 176 Mb.

Regards
Jerzy

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you very much Jerzy :) Nov 8, 2004

I got it!

Now I am going to try a dedicated ftp account with "real" username and password.
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Click OK, then go to File-menu of IE and choose "Login as" and login with [email protected] using anonymous as password. This works, I´ve just checked.
Remember not to check the box "anonymous", as then IE sets the username to anonymous, which is incorrect for ProZ ftp.

But why don´t you set a dedicated ftp account with "real" username and password? Thats quite easy.

Regards
Jerzy

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Jerzy, Nov 8, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Regards
Jerzy

I read all the information and tried several times this function with CuteFTP and IE, but I can not get access to user FPT.

Do you have any idea? Many thanks!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use cPanel X Nov 8, 2004

Use file manager to create a new folder in your "public_html" sector.
Go to FTP manager, set a new account for this folder.
Then you will see the username for it (it is [email protected]). Set a proper password for it.
Go to file manager, navigate to the account folder and set the rights for it. It must at least perm
... See more
Use file manager to create a new folder in your "public_html" sector.
Go to FTP manager, set a new account for this folder.
Then you will see the username for it (it is [email protected]). Set a proper password for it.
Go to file manager, navigate to the account folder and set the rights for it. It must at least permit read and write.

Be sure to use [email protected] as user name and the proper password. Any other username won´t work.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely unable to configure my email account Nov 8, 2004

Dear Jerzy and Jason:

I carefully followed the instructions given at HOWTO/203, here, and I don't remember whereelse. I've talk to my ISP provider.

Nothing works! I'm not able to send emails from my account [email protected] which is my mail email account, the one known by all my clients.

The email account created by the new proz hosting was, by default, "[email protected]" -which is not the one I usua
... See more
Dear Jerzy and Jason:

I carefully followed the instructions given at HOWTO/203, here, and I don't remember whereelse. I've talk to my ISP provider.

Nothing works! I'm not able to send emails from my account [email protected] which is my mail email account, the one known by all my clients.

The email account created by the new proz hosting was, by default, "[email protected]" -which is not the one I usually use.

I want to use my previous email account: [email protected]

The settings I'm using are the followings:

"Incoming" (POP3 or IMAP): mail.yourdomain.com
"Outgoing" (SMTP) : smtp.MYISP_RPROVIDER.com.ar

Note: As stated in the HOWTO/203, some ISP providers do not accept other domains... So this is the correct SMTP. I also checked "My server (SMTP) requires authentication". Then choose "Use the same settings as the incoming server" (which is checked by default).

I receive the following error message regarding the password (I know the password is correct, my doubt is regarding the user name):

Problema al iniciar la sesión en el servidor de correo. Se rechazó su contraseña. Cuenta: 'Idea Translations', Servidor: 'mail.idea-translations.com', Protocolo: POP3, Respuesta del servidor: '-ERR Username/Password Mismatch perhaps [email protected] ?', Puerto: 110, Seguridad (SSL): No, Error de servidor: 0x800CCC90, Número de error: 0x800CCC92

According to cPanelX, the email address is the same as the email login.

While, I've followed all the required steps, I'm still not able to send emails using my [email protected]. Any other idea?

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

[Edited at 2004-11-08 22:41]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing platinum hosting release candidate

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »